Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There are like 6-7 hours left until release,i can't see the nothing.Maybe it will have more players than lawbreakers.

bminorkey

Did the patch with the new ending already release? Is it going to release to coincide with the DLC today?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did the patch with the new ending already release? Is it going to release to coincide with the DLC today?

That's what the original press release said:

Bastard’s Wound will also arrive alongside a free update to Tyranny, including new voice acting, expanded content in the game’s third act, and an all-new path to an unseen ending.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's his review - it's not at RPS but at PCGamesN: https://www.pcgamesn.com/tyranny/tyranny-bastards-wound-pc-review 4/10

Tyranny - Bastard’s Wound PC review

Tyranny’s abrupt ending left me wanting more of Obsidian’s villainous RPG. But modest sales convinced me that my days striding across the Tiers, judging peasants for my distant Overlord, were over. Then Bastard’s Wound was announced, promising a chance to return to that war-torn world. I should have stayed at home.

Instead of following through on what Tyranny sets up during its closing moments, Bastard’s Wound actually takes place before the final quest, and can be started during Act 2. It’s largely detached from the rest of the game, including the main quest, set as it is in a secret settlement hidden inside the forbidden Old Walls.

A vague missive draws the party to the titular region, where things quickly become a little bit conservative for what is normally a subversive game. It’s a town with problems, and you’re just the hero to solve them. That mostly involves delving into a dungeon below the Old Walls and fighting a bunch of monsters, mercenaries, and sick people.

tyranny%20bw.jpg

It’s a brief and conventional quest, though thankfully elevated by Obsidian’s slick writing and the option to play many shades of arsehole. Or you can be nice. Or pragmatic. What I’m saying is, despite the setup being pretty by-the-numbers, there’s still a lot of flexibility in how you can approach every conversation and potentially hostile encounter.

You can, for instance, immediately put the entire settlement to the sword since they’re breaking Kyros’s laws by living there. I opted to help out of the kindness of my heart… ok, I said I’d help because they paid me, and also because I was plotting to take over the settlement and start up my own little rogue state in the middle of the Tiers. Up yours, Kyros!

The expansion feels largely extraneous, though. It fleshes out the world a bit, adding some extra flavour to Kyros’s conquest of the Tiers, but it’s jarring going from world-shattering Fatebinder business to a random quest in a hole in a wall. The diversion seems very out of place when there are so many more important crises flaring up. Especially if, like me, you load up your old save.

tyrannybastardswound.jpg

I embarked upon this adventure in a world where I’d already either killed or subjugated the other Archons and made my disdain for the Overlord quite clear. Momentous things were on the horizon. But Bastard’s Wound seems to ignore the state of the world entirely. Nerat, Ashe, and Tunon, for instance, are mentioned as if they’re still my superiors and breathing, and there’s curiously little said about any of the major plot moments that make up the rest of the game.

Unfortunately, I encountered some progress-halting bugs, too. Lantry’s companion quest ended before I actually finished it, leaving a conversation he said we needed to have unspoken. It turns out that, because I’d killed another character, Lantry was upset with me. This concluded the quest, but because of a bug, I had an entirely different exchange with him that implied I could continue it.

This also reveals another problem with Bastard’s Wound, though it’s a design one this time. When I got all stabby and upset my buddy, I was just acting like a Fatebinder - it was the only thing I could do at the time, aside from simply not doing anything at all. But that locked me out of the rest of the quest; a quest, I should add, that hinted at one of the few interesting implications about Kyros in the entire expansion. It feels a lot like being punished for being evil in a game about being evil. I’m fine with it going in a different direction because Lantry’s in a huff, but for it to end so unceremoniously was anticlimactic. Worse, it meant all the work I’d done beforehand was a waste of time.

BW3.jpg

And what a pain in the arse the quest was, sending me down into a dungeon to search around for hidden objects that would only appear when Lantry got close to them. What would normally be just a dull piece of busywork became endlessly frustrating when I couldn’t find the last item because it wasn’t reacting to Lantry’s proximity. It did eventually, but only after I tried for hours, gave up, and left the task for a full day.

Yet this companion quest, and the other two for Verse and Barik, are the only reasons to play Bastard’s Wound. They feel connected to the rest of Tyranny by virtue of focusing on characters we’re already familiar with. Their connection to the hidden village, however, is tenuous at best, feeling more like quests that were cut from the main game.

It’s worth noting at this point that the Verse and Barik quests won’t even trigger if you play the expansion after Act 2, something I had to confirm with Obsidian since it is not made clear anywhere else. So if you were hoping to experience everything Bastard’s Wound has to offer with a pre-existing character, you had better have some old saves.

bastards%20wound.jpg

Hoping the bugs were behind me, I set about continuing the adventure, only to realise that my quest log was empty. At first, I assumed I had encountered yet another bug, but I’d actually finished the expansion. There was no fanfare, no closure, no indication that I was done at all. It is an even more abrupt ending than the one in the base game. I had performed a couple of tasks and wandered around an underground maze for a bit, and that was my lot. It certainly wasn’t enough time for me to give a hoot about any of the new characters who crop up, or their ramshackle village.

I sincerely hope this isn’t the last we will see of Tyranny, because - in its current state - it has ended with a whimper, absent of a single fight or NPC who could be characterised as memorable, or quests that would inspire anyone to start the game all over again. Obsidian’s dark RPG deserves a better expansion than Bastard’s Wound.

Verdict: 4/10

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3223187/gaming/tyranny-bastards-wound-expansion-review.html

Bottom line

A common complaint when developers release DLC is “They just cut this out of the main game to sell it to us later.” I’m skeptical of throwing those accusations around, and I won’t do it here either—I don’t think Obsidian intentionally removed the content in Bastard’s Wound from the main game just to formulate an expansion.

I do think it’s likely these were cutting room scraps though, at least to some extent. In contrast to the White March expansions for Pillars of Eternity, which constituted a wholly separate adventure from the main game and told a complete and compelling story, the bits and bobs in Bastard’s Wound are a grab bag. Obsidian’s given no real thought to people who already own or completed the game, none of it’s meaty enough to feel meaningful in its own right, and it has no bearing on Tyranny’s larger story.

Of all the RPGs I've played, Tyranny is one of the few that really needed (and deserved) an expansion. Why this tale, though? I have no idea.

http://wccftech.com/review/tyranny-bastards-wound/ 7.7/10

Tyranny: Bastard's Wound builds upon the excellent world-building and writing of the main game to offer a compelling side-story filled with engaging characters and twists where players choices matter as much as ever before. With the lack of any significant new mechanic, however, those who expected more than just a new story may be slightly disappointed.

Pros
  • Excellent world-building
  • Endearing new characters
  • New quests centered on Verse, Barik, and Lantry
  • Gameplay tweaks favoring non-violent solutions
Cons
  • If you didn't like Tyranny to begin with, Bastard's Wound won't change your opinion, as it's basically more of the same, not counting small gameplay tweaks

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/09/07/review-tyranny-bastards-wound/270695/ 4/5

Closing Comments:

Tyranny: Bastard’s Wound is an impressive piece of DLC as it takes the choice-heavy gameplay of Tyranny and seamlessly weaves it into the previously-made choices by the player. Whether or not this content is essential depends on how much someone enjoyed Tyranny and if they want more of it. If it’s a game you’re still playing and want something new added, this content is money well spent. The same can be said if someone was taking a break from Tyranny but wanted an excuse to dust it off and get back into it. This new content won’t convert any naysayers over to Tyranny, but those who appreciated the brilliance of the base game will be pleased to know the additional content is on par with it.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2017/09/07/tyranny-bastards-wound-review/

On the whole, therefore, my experience with The Bastard’s Wound DLC for Tyranny was a positive one. In building on the fantastic world built through the main game, this extra episode provides a powerful insight into the personal costs of the political and military concerns of the game’s larger narrative arc. The additional subquest for Lantry (the sage character) is particularly relevant here, focusing as it does on the responsibilities and power held by historians and chroniclers as they attempt to document ongoing conflicts.

Whether you have played Tyranny and want to delve back in, or have yet to experience the game, The Bastard’s Wound is a very successful addition. If only they could do something about the abrupt ending of the main game, but perhaps we’ll have to wait for a sequel for that.

Last edited:

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This also reveals another problem with Bastard’s Wound, though it’s a design one this time. When I got all stabby and upset my buddy, I was just acting like a Fatebinder - it was the only thing I could do at the time, aside from simply not doing anything at all. But that locked me out of the rest of the quest; a quest, I should add, that hinted at one of the few interesting implications about Kyros in the entire expansion. It feels a lot like being punished for being evil in a game about being evil. I’m fine with it going in a different direction because Lantry’s in a huff, but for it to end so unceremoniously was anticlimactic. Worse, it meant all the work I’d done beforehand was a waste of time.
Sounds like actual C&C for once

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Strange, this trailer is listed as September 1st but I'm pretty sure it only showed up now:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fraser Brown's review was pretty good and felt like the guy actually played the dlc and likes rpgs.The other reviews felt more like a fluf pieces.It seems that the dlc is noting unexpected,buggy shit with hack writing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
None of the reviews covered the new path allegedly added to the base game's ending, which is disappointing.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
None of the reviews covered the new path allegedly added to the base game's ending, which is disappointing.
I doubt that there is much to cover outside of the ending.Most things could be seen only by fanatics or people that decided to play the unpached game first and then replay it with the patch.

Hellion

Arcane
Having received a review code for it, I can say that Barik's story quest in particular (the painstaking effort to
finally remove his armor
) was rather fun.

Barik as seen in the base game:
tyranny_dev_diary_06__barik_portrait.png

Barik, having just removed his armor:

lfaQuRKHQf2uwLOBbEA9ew.png

And Barik, after ordering him to take a bath and clean himself up:

JAJnzDtdQ2iksF9t7thgow.png

PS. Unless I missed something, the "new path to the ending" is simply a few new dialogue options at the end of the game, which allow you to
pledge your allegiance to Kyros no matter what you've done up to this point (so, for example, even if you've followed the Anarchist path, you can still proclaim that "everything I've done I've done for Kyros' Glory" and have his armies stand down in the ending slides).

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/tyranny-patch-notes-1-2-0-d.1042817/

Tyranny Patch Notes - 1.2.0d

The 1.2.0 update to Tyranny contains Free updates to the base game, makes the Bastard's Wound DLC available for purchase, and fixes various bugs throughout the game. Details on each are listed below, and spoiler tags have been added to sections that may reveal part of the story.

Base Game: Added Features and Content
The following things have been added to Tyranny in the 1.2.0 Patch. You do not need to purchase the Bastard's Wound DLC to gain these updates:

• Additional voiceover in conversations and combat reactions.

• Added Reactivity to player choices in the forms of addition missives and added dialog responses to several characters.

• New DLC banner on the Main Menu to indicate whether Bastard Wound content is enabled or not.

• Users who log in to their Paradox account can now sync their saves to the Paradox Cloud and track their Tyranny Achievements through their Paradox Account.

• Spoilers:
    • Expanded dialog options for players who wish to remain loyal to Kyros.

• New cinematics added to the end of the game, just before resolution slides.

• Expanded the End game slides to account for new player outcomes.
Bastard's Wound DLC
Bastard's Wound adds more depth to your journey through the war-torn world of Tyranny with the addition of a new region and several new quests. Explore a corner of the Tiers forgotten by the war, and enact your judgment on those who would hide from Kyros. This expansions includes new travel map events, encounters, wondrous items, and several quests featuring your companions. Various game improvements have also been implemented to increase the overall scope of the game. Whether you’re new to Tyranny or playing an existing savegame, Bastard's Wound bestows even more captivating gameplay into the saga of Tyranny.

Purchasing this DLC features:

• Players may now access the Bastard's Wound, featuring: New maps, quests, and encounters.

• Companion Quests for Barik, Verse, and Lantry.

• New World Map Events Specific to the Bastard's Wound DLC (You do not need to own Tales from the Tiers to access these World Map Events).

• New Items, Artifacts, and Spell Mods.

• 19 new Achievements
The Official Soundtrack Deluxe Edition
The Official Soundtrack Deluxe Edition for Tyranny includes over two hours of stirring, dramatic music from Obsidian Entertainment composer and audio director, Justin Bell. In addition to the entire original soundtrack, the Deluxe edition includes all-new music from the Bastard's Wound expansion, along with demo scores from the game's development and other never-before-released tracks.

• 43 Tracks in total

• Over two hours of original music

• The complete musical journey from every moment of Tyranny
All users who purchased the Overlord or Archon edition will receive a free copy of the Deluxe Edition.

Purchasing the Deluxe Edition includes a free copy of the Original Soundtrack.

Bug Fixes
Gameplay Fixes

• Description for Duelist talent updated to say "One-Handed Weapons" rather than "All"

• Verse's Talent Sweeping Death's damage has been reduced from x2 Weapon Damage to x1.5

• Apprentice Garrick no longer gets set to hostile when turning in "Leave No One Behind" Side Quest to Lohara.

• The "Scouring" effect on Entropy's Rend now displays the correct armor debuff.

• "Invigorated" Boon has its correct tooltip in the character sheet menu.

• "Massive Blows II" Power Talent applies correct crit modifier of 30%.

• The Conquest decisions in Battle of Edgering Pass in Apex region is applying the correct game choices.

• Fixed a rare issue where players could become unable to leave certain World Map Event Scenes.

• Added missing lines from some dialogs in Act 3.

• Spoilers:
    • Switching from Rebel Path to Anarchist Path in Lethian's Crossing no longer applies a Bronze Brotherhood reputation change for killing Vendrien Guard.

• Sirin now awards the Sigil of Emotions to reflect the text in her dialog options where she previously did not.

• Allowing Kyros' Day of Swords to come to pass now correctly plays the end game credits:

• Lantry will now use the Dual Wield skill for his thrown weapon abilities, if he is wielding multiple weapons.
Programming Fixes

• Characters will no longer display "SKILL +0" when first gaining a new rank in a skill after loading a save.

• Outrunner Enemies no longer get stuck in an "immune to attacks" state after being interrupted during Cloak and Dagger ability.

• Leadership Talent "Killing Rush" is no longer lost on New Game +.

• Spells learned during a playthrough are now carried over correctly to NG+ in languages other than English.

• Journal now correctly updates to no longer show an 'unread' icon once all journal updates have been read.

• Scarlet Poison duration no longer stacks infinitely causing UI errors.

• Hover text for items in stores now correctly displays the Buy or Sell price of the item.
Text & Localization Fixes

• Many typos found by the community have been addressed throughout the game.

• Combat Log for Polish localization displays correct syntax for kills.

• Reputation changes with Tunon in the Reputation Menu is now translated to all other languages besides English.

https://af.gog.com/game/tyranny_bastards_wound?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Looks like they pulled it two hours earlier on Steam.

lol at that lower-case w. Really Paradox?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom