Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Obsidian Media Blitz: Pillars of Eternity II and Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Interviews

Prime Junta

Fair enough. And I definitely agree that C&C alone doth not a RPG make.

From where I'm at, I think a fairly good approach to these somewhat doubtful cases is to ask, "if not a RPG, then what genre is it?" With games like the Twitchers or, say, Deus Ex, from where I'm at, there isn't any other genre that describes them any better.

(I'm also not all that hung up on definitions. If the game is good, I don't really care how you label it -- or vice versa. A bad RPG is still a bad game.)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
We spent the 90s have wet dreams about games as reactive as Tyranny. Now that we got it, not even the RPG sites are interested. It's a sad time.

It's no good without the writing, which Tyranny doesn't deliver (nor Tides of Numenera for that matter).

azimuth

Educated
I don't agree, either that "good writing" is necessary nor than Tyranny has bad writing. Tyranny's writing is easily better than Fallout's or Arcanum's, with less pained overwriting than Pillars of Eternity. None of those games was good for its writing, of course, but the former two still had good C&C without good writing.

More importantly, the worldbuilding in Tyranny is phenomenal. I can't remember the last game with a world as exciting to read about as Tyranny's. I've always had a sweet spot for games with political-ideological symbols and factions like this or PST, so that's probably part of it. (Plus the hotlink style of dialogue was a really cool innovation.)

Anyway, my only point in posting is to point out that the founders of this site would have been building fansites around Tyranny in 1999. Its cult following will stick around for years, and in 2027 we'll all say it was an underrated gem. Current Codexers seem more interested in dungeon-crawling and stat-crunching than C&C, though (Underrail? Yawn).

Prime Junta

^
maybe

Problem with Tyranny is the gameplay. The rest of it is pretty good really.

But then lots of games with shit gameplay have stuck around, including some from Obsidz.

DeepOcean

Arcane
We spent the 90s have wet dreams about games as reactive as Tyranny. Now that we got it, not even the RPG sites are interested. It's a sad time.
The writing must be decent for this to be relevant or you will have to make choices between things you have no interest on, same way, a game having turn based combat doesn't' make it automatically good. Choice and consequence can easily become a meme devoid of meaning as you need to be careful with the execution too. I admire what Obsidian was trying to achieve but the Tyranny setting sucks balls and I'm hardly interested into knowing the different ways it can be uninteresting.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Anyway, my only point in posting is to point out that the founders of this site would have been building fansites around Tyranny in 1999. Its cult following will stick around for years, and in 2027 we'll all say it was an underrated gem. Current Codexers seem more interested in dungeon-crawling and stat-crunching than C&C, though (Underrail? Yawn).
Ahh, no, I was expecting decent storyfaggotry and I got edgy Dragon Ball Z with orgasm explosions of power everywhere to make even DnD ashamed of.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i can guaran-fucking-tee you that 2003 posters like St. Proverbius, Nico, POOPERSCOOPER, Bryce, TwinFalls, Rosham, etc, would not be making fan-sites to Tyranny.

100% guaranteed.

EDIT: Sol Invictus prolly would make one but only because he will always be a retard. SPINE PUNCH!!!!1

/reference

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tyranny's writing is easily better than Fallout's or Arcanum's

Based on what I've seen of Tyranny's dialogue, I have to disagree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom