Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Naked roll? I assume you refer to ds2 here since afaik bb does not scale anything to your armor? And I suppose naked roll might take you further, but that's a pretty extreme comparison to make :)

No it isn't. I played half of DS1 naked or in really light dress. Primarily for the exceptional roll it gives you. Was also fairly common to see naked or lightly-dressed people in PvP, cause dat roll and stamina regen.
Sry mang, I just downloaded ds1 and did a naked roll. It's quick, but I'd say it only moves you about half to two thirds of a quickstep in BB.

Silva

Arcane
Citation needed. All felt standard to me.
Sorry bro, but this is so obvious it's not a matter of citation, but simply playing the game. Attacks in Bloodborne are faster and consume less stamina, Blood vials are (way) faster than Estus, and quickstep has faster animation than Souls games. The only that gets close to BB in speed department is DS3, but even that is a bit slower in most aspects. I am playing DS1, DS3 and BB concurrently right now with all pure dex/dodge builds, and this is so clear it hurts.

BTW, if there is one BB weapon that make me cold is the Reiter. I'm using Estocs and Rapier in DS 1/3 right now and their moveset is so cool, so fluid, it feels like you're a fencer. Then you play BB and the Reiter is a big letdown, its moves are stiff and don't feel like fencing at all.

Black Angel

Arcane
I don't get all the claims of faster pace. All it is is Souls without shields. Movement speed is the same. Attack speed is the same. Stamina is the same. Pacing is the same. Approach to level design and potential instant death around every corner is the same. It's just Souls without shields. Forced focus on aggression and evasion, which is how many people played the souls games anyways. Even the press were like "It's souls with the speed turned up to 11!". No...it wasn't. That would be Devil May Cry 1 or 3, or Ninja Gaiden Black.
Like Jaedar and Silva said, attacks require less stamina, healing animation is faster, and quicksteps are actually faster AND achieve longer distance than even Dark Souls 1's ninja flips.

However, illusorywalls on Twitter pointed out quite sometime ago how the running animation in Bloodborne were actuallyslower than that of Demon's Souls's, and I kinda notice how running is indeed slower than any of the Souls game.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Also one of the best changes in this game is removal of equip load, so I can focus on my fashionsouls without raising shitty stats

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So, when during my wife's USG I first saw my future son's heart blinking at me, I immediately thought about how you can Make Contact with the Brain in Bloodborne, it's a similarly alien experience

probably shouldn't have talked about that in front of the doctor

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
And you know what is best about it ? I don't know anything about BB aside from initial trailer and some basic information. I on purpose tried to avoid every info about it just so one day i will get it and try myself BLIND like it supposed to be played. So basically i will be playing it like on release day (but with expansion).

Where the fuck is DHL.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And you know what is best about it ? I don't know anything about BB aside from initial trailer and some basic information. I on purpose tried to avoid every info about it just so one day i will get it and try myself BLIND like it supposed to be played. So basically i will be playing it like on release day (but with expansion).

Where the fuck is DHL.

I envy you. This is a truly great and fascinating game. My second favourite souls game after Dark souls 1.

Then only thing it really lacks is 60 fps and the checkpoint and healing system from DS1.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I envy you. This is a truly great and fascinating game. My second favourite souls game after Dark souls 1.

Then only thing it real lacks is 60 fps and the checkpoint and healing system from DS1.

Enjoy!

Yeah i heard that game has severe issues with holding even 30fps. Though i played both DS and DaS on PS3 (before PC release) and those games too had framerate problems (dat blightown)

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Then only thing it real lacks is 60 fps and the checkpoint and healing system from DS1.

Enjoy!

Yeah i heard that game has severe issues with holding even 30fps. Though i played both DS and DaS on PS3 (before PC release) and those games too had framerate problems (dat blightown)

There is nothing close to blightown framerate.

Perkel

Arcane
Didn't have any noticeable problems with frame rate drops, maybe it was a problem at launch just like the long loading screens. Though these can still take a bit, nothing too bad fortunately.

Make sure to keep us updated, especially with the inevitable rape induced butthurt.

Well... i hate summoning helpers for my first few playtroughts soo...

Sentinel

Arcane
You'll only run into serious framerate problems if you summon 2 people, and I think I mostly noticed these drops in the chalice dungeons. But there's really nothing for you there unless you're looking to plat the game or want to fall sleep farming high tier gems to PvP with.

Villagkouras

Arcane
I played it when it was released. I remember the horrible loading times before the patch, but the framerate, apart from the beginning of an area towards the 3rd boss was ok.

Silva

Arcane
Perkel , tip: Heavy hitting is easier for beginners so consider a Str build or a Quality (Str+Skl) one. Avoid the temptation of Bloodtinge or Arcane at first (though those are the most fun builds, IMO).

Sentinel

Arcane
I'd say Bloodtinge is worthless unless you love katanas. The only other bloodtinge weapon in the game (Bloodletter) is only obtainable in the area that precedes the final boss of the DLC.

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel , tip: Heavy hitting is easier for beginners so consider a Str build or a Quality (Str+Skl) one. Avoid the temptation of Bloodtinge or Arcane at first (though those are the most fun builds, IMO).

I never plan build before starting new Souls game. I just roll with whatever i like at the moment.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I never plan build before starting new Souls game. I just roll sidestep with whatever i like at the moment.
FTFY, you'll see what I mean

Unfortunately I found changing my playstyle in the middle of a playthrough to be more difficult in Bloodborne than in the Souls games, but it's due to factors I don't want to spoil ;)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
is this game an RPG?
Bloodborne reduced the amount of character customization that had existed in Demon's/Dark Souls while making combat even more dependent on the player's physical skill rather than the player-character's abilities. If Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are borderline RPGs, then Bloodborne isn't an RPG at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom