Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nightkeep, rpgmetroidvania experiment

Nightale

The Studio Which Has No Name
Developer
I am changing old codes from 2015, which worked but werent good enough. I changed most of weapons and their movement is now more fluent and dynamic. Today I overhauled birdie code from 2015. He's so handsome now (but sometimes he chases the ghosts too).

xTiN0tHzvB2GhvqDRe.gif

Nightale

Developer
Hello!

I’ve finally managed to sneak my way onto Steam Greenlight with my Nightkeep. As a direct result of this, the games has received a rather big update.

Nightkeep is a 2D metroidvania-like platformer with RPG elements set in a fictional medieval fantasy world, accompanied by an original story. You play as Arietta, a huntress. She’s more of a lone wolf and even though hunters usually hunt in groups, Arietta has her own approach.

In the game, players will progress through quests, be it the main quests or side quests. Since you play as Ari, which loves rewards, it is a matter of course you’ll recieve your fair share or every quest you complete (or will you?).

Below, you can find a link to the A4 Greenlight page and the Steam Greenlight trailer.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=914989247
If you like my project, I’d appreciate support of any sort!

Nightale

Developer
Thanks for support, I count in negative votes too as I wish real statistics on Greenlight. I plan some nice features for this project, but its soon to reveal them. It wont be so-pure metroidvania. It's somewhat 60 : 40 now. (yes : no)

Nightale

Developer
@Infinitron

No, it is not ! I decided to use "RPG2 Heaven" as my studio name (see the trailer). I might explain why this one, in the flash:

I used Rebel for a long time in czech republic as my dev nickname, but it was also attached with RPG2 Heaven name everytime too. RPG2 Heaven is czech/slovak RPG maker community which I founded in year 2005, in year 2010 we had 20 active members and it was good age, however we are small country and RPG maker is not so popular. So we are like 3-5 guys now but we're still keeping the site up! tho no one longer uses the engine (its bit contra-productive, but its <3 matter).

I abandoned Rebel nickname when I decided to go English project (thanks to friend who I met online and he helps me with translation of my project now as he has some language school done).
I have many nicknames over internet (forums, social sites, etc.) and these are not same. I decided to go with RPG2 Heaven name as my studio name (me), so I wont confuse anyone and my projects will keep the same signature.

Last edited:

Nightale

Developer
Hello folks,

I plan big update for this autumn, it will provide a lot more detail on mechanic, game and the story. Till the update airs, I will at least share some gifs from the latest version.

edrt%2B2017-08-31%2B21-46-54-60.gif

FORESTASZ.gif

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Is there going to be a way to turn off the bottom right indicator (the one that tells you what enemy you just smacked)?

Nightale

Developer
Is there going to be a way to turn off the bottom right indicator (the one that tells you what enemy you just smacked)?
You can't disable this now and I have no intent to disable enemy name. You can hide upper stats (total dmg, gold, exp) in options. If more people will bring up the topic about enemy name during development then it's something I may change.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Yeah, but you needed the faerie scroll and could disable it.

Apparently you can disable it in some GBA games in the same way.

Nightale

Developer
You are right Swift. Many castlevanias have relics turnable ON/OFF. I didnt take this exact approach. Once I get relic its always active. But this is only one that Changes HUD/UI directly. GBA versions of castlevanias were good, I finsihed them all, I am really huge castlevania fan myself.

Nightale

Developer
Hi,

I am coming with a quick update on the development. I am having demo ready, it's just waiting for translation now. I would like to release it next month.If you played the old demo, there are some new adjustments as I tried to make it a bit better. It's still a relatively simple game, but that was the original goal anyway. No hundreds of skill, I am aiming at more SNES-like play. But yeah, there are some equips, yet I am not sure if I will add these in demo.

Anyway, I bring two images with me, that I didn't share here.

*new logo
trashdd6.gif

*castle entrace ( I edited roots after this gif, slightly.)
saddss-98.gif

Nightale

Developer
Hi again,

Nightkeep is a project I’ve been working on for the past 2 years. My goal is to merge classic metroidvanias and JRPGs, add a fairytale-like theme and make a platformer, which will bring players 20 years into the past. I’m making the game as a nostalgia trip for the fans of old NES/SNES games. It’s always been my dream to create a game like this.

I landed on the Indiegogo recently with the new trailer:

But I am just amateur hobbyist so it has its own flaws. I am looking for fans of the genre, that will be interested in the game and provide me with feedback. I believe that feedback is important part of game development. So we can make it better.

You can get the alpha demo right here : http://rpg2heaven.com//downloads/nightkeep_abuild_01.zip
If you encounter a bug during your playthrough of the demo, please let me know so it can be fixed. I tried to fix all that I discovered on my own.

Also, if you'd like to help me, consider sharing the Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign over social media! I appreciate it. ( https://igg.me/at/keep )

shuffle2.png

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Great demo. I thought you nailed the movement really well. I suppose my only minor gripe is the sound the slime hammer makes. It gets a bit annoying hearing the same squish sound over and over. Maybe make it a sound that only plays once and a while, like the grunts?

Nightale

Developer
Siveon I appreciate the input. This is true, hearing the same sound over and over might get annyoing. It's something I added to my feedback list and I will look into it eventually. I will probably try to adjust volume of each hit and I will add more variety to the sound. I am mixing sounds with audacity all the time...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom