Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ranarama

Learned
Agreed. Sadly I don't even expect this game to have even 10% of the massive depth that is currently in Grimoire.

I'm sure it'll have retarded NPCs, assine 'riddles', door switch 'puzzles', objects you need to rub together and poorly balanced classes.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Why are the updates always so underwhelmingly uninteresting?

80% of the updates consist of:
  • yo, it's about NOLA
  • yo, some guy joins us
  • yo, there's a VR game
  • yo, there's remake of old shit
  • yo, some random biography from a team member

How about some actual information about Bard's Tale 4 ?!

:x

Last edited:

BlackGoat

Arbiter
"Another concern is how combat relates to movement nodes. A natural assumption is that combat can only happen on a movement node, but movement nodes and combat placement have somewhat conflicting requirements. Movement needs to feel regular and natural, following halls and turns. Combat needs to be placed such that all enemies can line up on their combat gird positions and not be placed inside of a wall. So we decided we needed to split out a separate combat placement grid from the movement grid. I then built tools to help identify if a given combat placement would have concerns with overlapping props or be too close to a wall. This lets the art and design teams go through a level and adjust the placement or collision settings on various objects and make sure there are viable combat start positions available."

:hmmm:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
This movement and combat approach sounds like brainfuck to me. It might have been better to focus on one of the following:

a) like Wiz8 with no strict movement or combat grid
b) like older Wizardries/BardsTales with combat on a separate screen or overlay

Both are much easier to implement, than what they try to do...

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, what the hell? If you put combat on a damn grid in the first place, you don't need to design areas to make sure combat can look organic. It's not going to. Strange people.

Themadcow

Augur
I'm so glad I backed this at the $95 tier. Sure, it seemed a lot at the time, but by the time it comes out $95 will be the equivalent of $22.40 and I'll be pretty smug.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Got it, Techland it is:

bardstalegame.com

Registrant Name: Sebastian Helios
Registrant Organization: Techland Sp. z o.o.

Updated Date: 2017-05-09
Created Date: 2017-05-09
Registrar Expiration Date: 2019-05-09

Unless somehow it fizzled out afterward of course.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yeah, what the hell? If you put combat on a damn grid in the first place, you don't need to design areas to make sure combat can look organic. It's not going to. Strange people.

To me its a sign that at least some people working on the game would prefer it to be something else than a blobber in the first place

Themadcow

Augur
Official BT forums are celebrating 'Halloween Month' by doing their best impression of a festering corpse. Apparently the backer portal migration is a task equivalent to the creation of the Suez Canal, given the timeline so far.

If they delay any longer, the market will be flooded by Grimoirelikes.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Aesthetically, looks bland and empty.

But from the level design point of view, looks fucking stupid!?

3909f07558558dcaab1eba33756eb0d3.png

1- Who threw those nice ikea wooden boards into the mud there? In those times, people had the technology to make wooden boards, but it was so difficult, that they were employed only in places where they were irreplaceable, such as boats. Nobody threw such nice boards into the mud like they were worthless just to help people cross a muddy portion of the road. Ever heard of working with references? Like gooling how real settlements looked in that age? Tip: this isn't how they looked at all, the general layout wise.

2- Look at this single fence on the left. People used to put up fences to prevent pigs or chickens from escaping. What is that fence accomplishing? Some level designer was allowed to play with the level editor and just put random shit in random places. If this is what Brian Fargo is "pleased with", then I'm afraid the rest of the game will look like that too. Sad.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I like that the houses are made of stones. Britain in that age loved their stones. But how do they make the house walls look so flat? Maybe it's the lighting, or something is wrong with the normal maps, I don't know, but it just looks like some 2005 game where the there were only the color maps, an no normal maps existed. The walls made of stone that look flat in 2017? It looks incompetent and indie af.

I'm no graphics whore by no means, but if there is a possibility to make it look good, how is it acceptable to make it look so bad? Brian started out when the graphics were 8 bit something. I now realize he has no idea how to appraise if something looks good by modern standards.

V_K

Arcane
I think after Wasteland 2 expectig graphical compentence from inXile is very naive... I mean, expecting any kind of competence from them is very naive by now.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I like that the houses are made of stones. Britain in that age loved their stones. But how do they make the house walls look so flat? Maybe it's the lighting, or something is wrong with the normal maps, I don't know, but it just looks like some 2005 game where the there were only the color maps, an no normal maps existed. The walls made of stone that look flat in 2017? It looks incompetent and indie af.

I'm no graphics whore by no means, but if there is a possibility to make it look good, how is it acceptable to make it look so bad? Brian started out when the graphics were 8 bit something. I now realize he has no idea how to appraise if something looks good by modern standards.
You do know this world has magic and as such can have better technology through use of magic?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Aesthetically, looks bland and empty.

But from the level design point of view, looks fucking stupid!?

3909f07558558dcaab1eba33756eb0d3.png

1- Who threw those nice ikea wooden boards into the mud there? In those times, people had the technology to make wooden boards, but it was so difficult, that they were employed only in places where they were irreplaceable, such as boats. Nobody threw such nice boards into the mud like they were worthless just to help people cross a muddy portion of the road. Ever heard of working with references? Like gooling how real settlements looked in that age? Tip: this isn't how they looked at all, the general layout wise.

You realize that the first roads in Europe - not just north of the Alps - were wooden paths (fit for chariots so can be called roads) built by the Celts, upon which the Romans simply expanded (with stone)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom