Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

railway

Educated
See you all again in 600 hours! :salute:

Roughly 720 hours have past since I made that post and I just beat the game. 600hrs seems like a reasonably estimate.

I want to thank you for making and releasing Grimoire, Cleveland Mark Blakemore !
I enjoyed the ride immensely, start to finish.
There are other great CRPGs released recently, most notably Underrail and Age of Decadence, but they excel in other areas. Playing Grimoire gives me the same sense of wonder and adventure which made me fall in love with games like Wizardry and Realms of Arkania.
Before Grimoire's release last month I was seriously beginning to think the lack of this experience in modern games might be on me and not those games, but Grimoire proves it is still possible today (of course, development beginning "back in the day" might have helped nailing this).
If there's one thing felipepe's review gets right, it's that there are always new places opening up to explore, making the game hard to quit, finishing one thing always leads to another.
I was following the game's development for the last 10 years and was looking forward to finally playing a new game in the vein of Wizardry 7 but I was honestly not expecting for it to be this good.

And yes, the game had and still has some issues. Like it has to be expected in a game that, for the most part of its 20 years in development, was worked on and tested by a single man neanderthal.
Still, maybe I'm just lucky with my dice rolls, party composition and hardware setup or whatever, but after playing and finishing Grimoire I feel most of it is blown way out of proportion.
Sure, combat balance is off in the middle part of the game and I encountered a couple of fights where it was "destroy the enemy in the first turn or get a full party wipe" but certainly not on a regular basis as seems to be the case with some people.

Class changing, or rather the lack thereof for most of the game, is probably my biggest gripe in this regard. My party reached the required level 10 only shortly before the end and then I just did a quick test, after which I reloaded an old save as class chaning resets your level but not you experience needed for the next level-up which would seriously cripple a party if level has a similar effect on combat proficiency as in Wizardry games (Cleveland Mark Blakemore ?).

On the technical side I experienced the crash that would sometimes happen when clicking on a character portrait and once or twice I got the rare crash from monsters dropping a key after fights. Both issues were fixed quickly amd I haven't seen another crash since.
The issue with saves getting deleted did not affect me at all, probably because I wasn't logged into Steam in the time between this update and the fix.
The most annoying bug I encountered was some NPCs wandering off forever after talking to them.
This meant I had to look up the password for Khan's castle on the internet and because I talked to werewolf guy before getting the corresponding quest, I had to steal the key to the Green Mandarin's hideout.
From what I understand this issue has been fixed for people starting a new game by now.

And while it would be nice to see the handful of emptier/maybe not 100% finished dungeons get elevated to a level on par with the rest, I didn't really miss any of the not yet fully implemented features like crafting (that said I can understand people not being amused after paying $40 for a not feature complete game).

Grimoire is my CRPG of 2017 and probably the best blobber released since Wizardry 8. Can't wait for Grimoire II.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 42 minutes ago
notification_icon_flag_dark.png
forum_topicicon_reply.png

At 90% of your max age (some races it is 1000's of years old) you will lose 10% attributes every birthday until you find a youth restoration mechanism. This is actually a feature in the original design document and an entire region exists solely for this purpose. It parallels traditional D&D and makes the game interesting with long periods of play requiring some remediation of aging effects. Some races like Aeorbs take so long to get old you will likely be playing Grimoire II before you have to restore their youth.

I could add a few fountains in places in the upgraded content to support it much earlier in the game if you can locate these secret areas.

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
On the technical side I experienced the crash that would sometimes happen when clicking on a character portrait and once or twice I got the rare crash from monsters dropping a key after fights. Both issues were fixed quickly amd I haven't seen another crash since.
I never had the key crashes, but I did crash a few times on worms in the early version. The only crash I have had in the current version was at the Deathstone.
I didn't lose any of my saves, but I did lose my character roster with the first update. When I play through a 2nd time, I will want all new chars anyway.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
More on aging:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES:
Players live forever now, they don't die when they reach max age. They do incur penalties as they reach 90% of their max age depending on what race they started as. I had encountered aging in testing and it was always around the time I had reached the end of the game and could access youth fountains to reset these things so I believe it was well balanced. I have made a few changes but as Tanist pointed out ... maybe that is sufficient to avoid sudden death when sleeping at odd moments.

Steam:
How many naps does it take to reach max age?

GOLDEN ERA GAMES:
Probably at least two hundred hours of play.

Steam:
If you're going by hours played as opposed to how much resting your party is doing, then this kind of puts a time limit on how long a player can play your game, unless there are unlimited youth-restoring potions or unlimited-use youth fountains.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
:
There are.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
See you all again in 600 hours! :salute:

Roughly 720 hours have past since I made that post and I just beat the game. 600hrs seems like a reasonably estimate.

I want to thank you for making and releasing Grimoire, Cleveland Mark Blakemore !
I enjoyed the ride immensely, start to finish.
There are other great CRPGs released recently, most notably Underrail and Age of Decadence, but they excel in other areas. Playing Grimoire gives me the same sense of wonder and adventure which made me fall in love with games like Wizardry and Realms of Arkania.
Before Grimoire's release last month I was seriously beginning to think the lack of this experience in modern games might be on me and not those games, but Grimoire proves it is still possible today (of course, development beginning "back in the day" might have helped nailing this).
If there's one thing felipepe's review gets right, it's that there are always new places opening up to explore, making the game hard to quit, finishing one thing always leads to another.
I was following the game's development for the last 10 years and was looking forward to finally playing a new game in the vein of Wizardry 7 but I was honestly not expecting for it to be this good.

And yes, the game had and still has some issues. Like it has to be expected in a game that, for the most part of its 20 years in development, was worked on and tested by a single man neanderthal.
Still, maybe I'm just lucky with my dice rolls, party composition and hardware setup or whatever, but after playing and finishing Grimoire I feel most of it is blown way out of proportion.
Sure, combat balance is off in the middle part of the game and I encountered a couple of fights where it was "destroy the enemy in the first turn or get a full party wipe" but certainly not on a regular basis as seems to be the case with some people.

Class changing, or rather the lack thereof for most of the game, is probably my biggest gripe in this regard. My party reached the required level 10 only shortly before the end and then I just did a quick test, after which I reloaded an old save as class chaning resets your level but not you experience needed for the next level-up which would seriously cripple a party if level has a similar effect on combat proficiency as in Wizardry games (Cleveland Mark Blakemore ?).

The issue with saves getting deleted did not affect me at all, probably because I wasn't logged into Steam in the time between this update and the fix.
The most annoying bug I encountered was some NPCs wandering off forever after talking to them.
This meant I had to look up the password for Khan's castle on the internet and because I talked to werewolf guy before getting the corresponding quest, I had to steal the key to the Green Mandarin's hideout.
From what I understand this issue has been fixed for people starting a new game by now.

And while it would be nice to see the handful of emptier/maybe not 100% finished dungeons get elevated to a level on par with the rest, I didn't really miss any of the not yet fully implemented features like crafting (that said I can understand people not being amused after paying $40 for a not feature complete game).

Grimoire is my CRPG of 2017 and probably the best blobber released since Wizardry 8. Can't wait for Grimoire II.

Thank you. I guarantee that V2 and the next update will be worth playing over again, many of these issues you mentioned have been fixed.

ukdouble1

Educated
Is this game playable yet?
Class and combat mechanics work somewhere by 60%. The system of character development, spell system and experience system needs to be reworked from scratch. The adventure part works almost well (except for the first city where events near the end become a rare stupidity).
If you like to play the alpha version rpg or adventure game - you can start.
If you are interested in the complex development of characters and non-obvious mechanics, you will have to wait either 120-140 years until the author makes them, or hope for modders.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Humble Bundle fodder when?

It's been a almost a month since release, this thread has been dying for the last week.

So long, Grimoire. We hardly knew ye.

Zep--

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
A couple of retards decided to bother Cleve with mundane questions about drowning:

Originally posted by burritonator
How Can a feyfolk Drown?
They have wings.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES:
Also lungs.

Originally posted by Rpguy:
How can lizardfolk drown? they are amphibious. Do they even get a bonus to swimming?

GOLDEN ERA GAMES:
Yes.

Originally posted by Rpguy:
How can aerob drown? they can't swallow water if they don't have mouths... how do they eat? how do they drink? ahhh the misteries of life...

GOLDEN ERA GAMES:
How can they wield magical swords? How can they exist in Hyperborea when it does not appear on geographical maps? How do magnets work? Why does toast fall butterside down?

Some of these questions are outside the scope of the game and I can't answer them.

I always thought Aeorbs might respirate oxygen through their skin and therefore would be more susceptible to drowning.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Last DECLINE update comes tomorrow...INV Editor and Some experimental teleporting around maps.

I may still do some bug fixing, but Grimoire .25 will be the last version DECLINE is updated for.

So...make a backup of your Grimoire Folder.

Zep--

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Last DECLINE update comes tomorrow...INV Editor and Some experimental teleporting around maps.

I may still do some bug fixing, but Grimoire .25 will be the last version DECLINE is updated for.

So...make a backup of your Grimoire Folder.

Zep--

good, it takes a wise man to admit defeat.

The sheer terror of Cleve's DRM will soon be felt by all

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom