Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What is the worst RPG of all time?

Tycho Brahe

Novice
Thanks! Divinity is much better, still somewhat laggy, but playable, as for Arcanum, I already did aforementioned things, and not one helped. I swear, I had less problems with Deadly Premonition. If nothing works, I'll just reinstall Win 7.

For Divine Divinity I had to change the rendering system (in the config tool) form the default to "software", and it became more fluid and playable.

Oh, yeah, now it's perfect. Thanks!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't know which is the worst because I don't play shitty games. :smug:
But then how do you know they're genuinely shitty?
I have the Codex for that my dear Friend.

Just kidding, I would never trust the Codex's opinion. I have a special power knowing which game is good and which is not.
What is your prediction about Divinity OS2,Battle Chasers: Nightwar and ELEX ?
Div2 will be amazing. Battle Chasers will be pretty good. ELEX will be on the level of Risen. Next question? :D
Ok when is my Russian wife to be will come in my life:cool:?Will anthem be rpg or mmo,and will it flop enough to kill bioware for good?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Just kidding, I would never trust the Codex's opinion. I have a special power knowing which game is good and which is not.
Div2 will be amazing. Battle Chasers will be pretty good. ELEX will be on the level of Risen. Next question? :D
Ok when is my Russian wife to be will come in my life:cool:?Will anthem be rpg or mmo,and will it flop enough to kill bioware for good?
I have your Russian wife right here with me and we are having a great time. :D

Anthem will be an coop action game with some light rpg elements. It will be moderate success, thus it won't kill bioware.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Anthem will be an coop action game with some light rpg elements. It will be moderate success, thus it won't kill bioware.
Fabulous!Now send over her daughter.I don't like your insinuations that we will have to tolerate biowere for a few years more.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Fabulous!Now send over her daughter.
Do you expect me to send over a daughter to you? Do you know who you are talking to? :roll:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Do you expect me to send over a daughter to you? Do you know who you are talking to? :roll:
Are you having a Russian wife for real,and a daughter?If it is i meant it as a joke not knowing.Lucky bastard ;) .

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Are you having a Russian wife for real,and a daughter?If it is i meant it as a joke not knowing.Lucky bastard ;) .
Of course I don't. My love life is a disaster. :despair:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Of course I don't. My love life is a disaster. :despair:
There is only two things that a man needs to love.First one is his country,the second one is RPGs and its transcendent combined souls aka RPGCodex!

bloodlover

Arcane
I started playing the genre rather late (unless you count Diablo 1 an RPG) so I never experienced a fresh release of an oldie. However, as I played more and more games I noticed a drop in quality as time passed on. Of course there is always some good RPG here and there regardless of the shitfest going around but that's like a drop of water in a bathtub.

I am not really sure what is the worst RPG I've ever played (someone mentioned Dungeon Siege... come on those game were alright) since with every passing year there is another contender.

Rupuka

Novice
The worst RPG of all time is Entropy, as in concept.
First of all, no matter what your answer to "What is a RPG?" is, Entropy is very unlikely to fit the criteria. So is not even a real RPG.
All your choices are ultimately pointless. Every path (which always include the dead of everyone and everything you ever loved) leads to the same ending, a eternal void of nothingness, a pretty boring one at that.
Probably the worst part is that, unlike every other bad RPG that you can just not play, Entropy is completely unavoidable. It force a bunch of existential despair in a very ham-fisted way and, to be quite honest, is just no ver... Oh wait! totally forgot about Inquisition. Never mind then, DA:I is way worse.

Dragon Age 2: Wander around a city performing inane tasks and consistently failing while fighting endless trash mobs and listening to annoying characters.
Ultima 8: How to make a shitty game, failing in every possible way: Magic, combat, jumping, navigation, story, dialogue, characterization, controls, level design--nothing makes any sense. Mostly involves falling off platforms and getting lost. Here is the review I put on Gog:

Ultima was a complex series of role-playing games, but it suffered from the awkward interfaces and navigation that were common in its time. Ultima 7 improved upon those flaws, and though it was still problematic, it succeeded as an epic adventure in a large, detailed world. Ultima 8 was a rushed pile of worthless bullshit that crushed all the style and value of the series, leaving only the crippling.

Ultima's role-playing is gone: The character is no longer the greatest symbol of goodness and virtue, he has become a genocidal sociopath who destroys everything in his path and cares naught about anyone else. You have no choice but to follow the commands of all the irritating characters in this stupid, featureless world, one filled with empty space and confusing wastelands. Players no longer search for curiosity's sake, but because they have no idea where to go or what to do until they stumble upon the right cave. Virtue is irrelevant, as the Avatar must be pure evil.

Ultima 8 is not even consistent: Commit crimes most of the time, and you will be killed--but under certain circumstances, you must kill and steal from innocent men. Have fun trying to figure out the difference.

Controls, jumping, combat, perspective: All are terrible. Electronic Arts forced Origin to turn this into an action game, but the great combat of Wing Commander and Crusader bear no resemblance to this shit. Jumping puzzles appear throughout the game, but you never get a clear indication of where you are jumping, the position of the target relative to the character, or the length of the jump. One can easily spend hours on a single jumping puzzle. Fighting suffers all the same problems, and involves nothing more than blindly clicking on the enemies, only slightly less tedious and frustating than Diablo. It was compared to Super Mario Brothers, but Mario is defined by its steady controls; clear situational awareness; exciting action sequences; imaginative settings and enemies; and clearly defined objectives, none of which are present in this game.

Ultima 8's magic system is a mess: The worst example is a type of magic that requires the player to place items in very specific spots throughout pentagrams, leading to endless frustrations and confusion. This has to be repeated many times to complete one training sequence, one of the many pointless, tedious, extraneous sequences that destroy the pacing.

Never play this game. Electronic Arts destroyed Origin, and if its executives get one cent from this game, they should be declared thieves and suffer horrible punishments.

Dragon Warrior: 95% grinding, 4% wandering, 1% anything of value. Tedium: The game series.

Diablo: Tedious, repetitive button mashing.

Might and Magic: The most boring and repetitive dungeon crawl possible, with the added bonus, at least in 3, that your characters can be aged to death within a few fights, and the fountain of youth only appears at the end.

Underrail: Hyped as the new Fallout, but it has none of the charm, imagination or fun of that series and is a very boring and pointless dungeon crawl.

Terrible games from series I like:

Shin Megami Tensei 2: Mostly involves wandering through empty mineshafts and waiting to find out why. You can break the entire game after the first dungeon due to an exploit. Story is nonexistent until the end.

Zelda: The Wind Waker: Cut out two dungeons, replace replace them with more of the fucking sailing that is so long and tedious and searching for items.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom