Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you could help design TES6; what would you do?

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'd say fuck gameplay, do something like Jodorowsky's Dune (well, what it would have been), rustle up a bunch of avant-garde and bullshitty artists and writers and...get their crazy ideas about gameplay, storytelling and worldbuilding
Congrats, you just made TToN.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Skyrim shoulda been without dragons and be all about civil war. Twas the most enjoyable part of the game for me, there was even an armistice meeting with the heads of factions for impending doom...lol fuck, did game of thrones showrunners rip skyrim off too? :P
The civil war was shit because you couldn't become the high king.
Shit like 'becoming King' is what I hate most about a lot of games these days. I don't like these wish-fulfillment simulators where you become t3H chosen one and all powerful. It's much more interesting to be a merc-for-hire. By doing so you don't have to throw fifty dragons at the player in order to present a challenge.
In game in which you are the chosen one is illogical that you can''t become the king.Also i n most rpgs old and new you play a chosen one.You can't really make an epic story if your character is John the hotdog seller.
Hell I've read outlines of campaigns for level 0 characters in an old D&D Greyhawk compendium that are more interesting than most 'epic' video game stories you see today.

The book provides six adventure scenarios, as outlines for DMs to fill in. Two are for zero-level characters struggling to work up to 1st level, and the other adventures include a dive to a sunken ship to recover treasure, entry into the Valley of the Mage, a rescue mission set in a house, and an evening's entertainment in a gambling house.[2] The zero-level character system for fledgling characters allows PCs to grow into their character-class roles and gives them special abilities not normally associated with a character class.

Depth, not scale, is what makes a story/setting great. Throwing a hundred dragons at people and declaring them God-King is a lazy way out.

Deleted member 7219

First I would fire all the writers and designers at Bethesda. I would start with the decline of the series: TES IV. I would revert the skill system to Morrowind's, but with reworked combat and balance changes.

I would tell the press that the game is an "enhanced remake" of Oblivion, which would get the attention of the mouth breathing retards. They would get a surprise when they find the game to be a lore friendly version of Cyrodiil and without the retarded main quest. It would be much more focused on the intrigue, chaos and assassinations mentioned by Caius Cosades in Morrowind.

It would be a "soft reboot" of the series, acknowledging TES I-III but not the games that came after. I would still set TES V in Skyrim, and I'd probably keep the dragon main quest but the civil war would be done completely differently, and the skills would still be altered.

Only then when the damage has been reverted could there be a TES VI. I quite like the idea of going back to Daggerfall/High Rock.

Of course if I was ever in such a position with all the resources of Zenimax at my disposal I'd just shut down Bethesda and give all the cash to Obsidian, along with the rights to Fallout.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Reputations in different provinces so if you want to be known as a good guy somewhere and a bad guy somewhere else you can

Reputation should spread via word-of-mouth unless you bribe/persuade people to shut up.

KateMicucci

Arcane
First I would fire all the writers and designers at Bethesda. I would start with the decline of the series: TES IV. I would revert the skill system to Morrowind's, but with reworked combat and balance changes.
Morrowind's skill system was trash.
It's the first and only RPG I've ever seen where pickpocketing is actually a fun part of gameplay rather than a tedious save-scumming chore that you're better off ignoring.
I thought Skyrim's pickpocketing was still % chance. When has pickpocketting in a game with a % chance ever been worth the risk?

jungl

Augur
I'd also have companions you meet in the game be different in appearance for every player. Kind of like how the named orcs are in shadow of mordor or soldiers in xcom. The necromancer bro and paladin you befriend for doing quests for their faction will look different for every player, different gender and race. The main quest to progress you have to have at least a few people you befriended help you out. Ideally to make the next big cash cow elder scrolls I'd take cool stuff that attract normies and try to please old fans.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
If I truly had total design control:
- Scrap all development so far
- Make a turn-based isometric infinity engine lookalike in the TES world
- C&C, weapon durability, realistic wounds/infection, survival eating drinking sleeping fapping pooping mechanics, compulsory ironman permadeath, sleep to save, limited voice acting (intros only) so there's more actual writing

If I had to be realistic
- Get rid of the levels and make combat more realistic, dangerous and thrilling. Strolling through Skyrim was a snoozefest and even dragon encounters got boring

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
Remove the shitty Europoor villages. Set the game in a proper, civilized American city.

Replace stupid sperg saves world storyline with plot about a streetwise Latina trying to obtain a mortgage from a bank.

Add feature where character must gain as many Instagram followers as possible to advance storyline.

Replace stupid wizard bullshit with blogging powers.

Replace depressing europoor companions with Mei.

Replace shitty olden days soundtrack with proper music like Diplo and Gucci Mane.

Add inter racial romance options as dlc.

Replace hud with Twitch overlay.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Remove the shitty Europoor villages. Set the game in a proper, civilized American city.

Replace stupid sperg saves world storyline with plot about a streetwise Latina trying to obtain a mortgage from a bank.

Add feature where character must gain as many Instagram followers as possible to advance storyline.

Replace stupid wizard bullshit with blogging powers.

Replace depressing europoor companions with Mei.

Replace shitty olden days soundtrack with proper music like Diplo and Gucci Mane.

Add inter racial romance options as dlc.

Replace hud with Twitch overlay.
Soooo you want to make watchdogs 2....again!?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Skyrim shoulda been without dragons and be all about civil war. Twas the most enjoyable part of the game for me, there was even an armistice meeting with the heads of factions for impending doom...lol fuck, did game of thrones showrunners rip skyrim off too? :P
The civil war was shit because you couldn't become the high king.
Shit like 'becoming King' is what I hate most about a lot of games these days. I don't like these wish-fulfillment simulators where you become t3H chosen one and all powerful. It's much more interesting to be a merc-for-hire. By doing so you don't have to throw fifty dragons at the player in order to present a challenge.
In game in which you are the chosen one is illogical that you can''t become the king.Also i n most rpgs old and new you play a chosen one.You can't really make an epic story if your character is John the hotdog seller.
Hell I've read outlines of campaigns for level 0 characters in an old D&D Greyhawk compendium that are more interesting than most 'epic' video game stories you see today.

The book provides six adventure scenarios, as outlines for DMs to fill in. Two are for zero-level characters struggling to work up to 1st level, and the other adventures include a dive to a sunken ship to recover treasure, entry into the Valley of the Mage, a rescue mission set in a house, and an evening's entertainment in a gambling house.[2] The zero-level character system for fledgling characters allows PCs to grow into their character-class roles and gives them special abilities not normally associated with a character class.

Depth, not scale, is what makes a story/setting great. Throwing a hundred dragons at people and declaring them God-King is a lazy way out.
I do agree with you on both discussions.Still a world made for an epic story can't have you washing dishes for 600 hours.As for dnd...well everything is fun with bottle of nice spirits.In my last campaign i had a smart ass thief that ended up a rich bastard before he even went on adventure.I constantly tried to make him pay for playing too realistic,but sadly the dice god was with him.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Ranarama

Learned
- C&C, weapon durability, realistic wounds/infection, survival eating drinking sleeping fapping pooping mechanics, compulsory ironman permadeath, sleep to save, limited voice acting (intros only) so there's more actual writing

If I had to be realistic
- Get rid of the levels and make combat more realistic, dangerous and thrilling. Strolling through Skyrim was a snoozefest and even dragon encounters got boring

Have you tried playing those total conversion mods? I remember the combat in Nehrim being incredibly tense, which was impressive given it used the Oblivion engine.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer

If I had to be realistic

Have you tried playing those total conversion mods? I remember the combat in Nehrim being incredibly tense, which was impressive given it used the Oblivion engine.

I'm yet to try Nehrim and Enderal, I had no idea they reworked the terrible Bethesda combat system so that's pretty good to hear.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
^ I would play your games.

Implementing this change would require fixing something that has been broken since Morrowind

Something else has been broken since Morrowind: Bethesda.
Only difference between Morrowind and Oblivion is the terrain.

Not true, there is whole list of differences.
Like?

Morrowind has no level scaling; enemy stats are fixed. Oblivion has level scaling.

Morrowind lets you summon many an army of minions at the same time. Oblivion only lets you have 1.

Morrowind has many different factions to join. Oblivion has the 3 guilds, and the Dark Brotherhood. That's it.

Morrowind has more spells. Oblivion removed Mark/Recall, Levitate, Jump, Sanctuary, Slowfall, Divine/Almsivi Intervention, Sound, Blind and several Summon spells.

Morrowind has 3 types of ranged weapons: bows, crossbows, and thrown weapons - darts, stars, and knives. Oblivion only has bows.

Morrowind has 22 weapons available in more than one material. Oblivion is 9.

Morrowind: spell casting can fail. The failure rate is influenced by your skill rating in the relevant school of magic, willpower, Luck, and your Fatigue. In Oblivion spells have a 100% success rate. Your Skill affects the Magicka cost.

Morrowind guards will try to kill you if your bounty is high. In Oblivion they will always allow you to pay.

Morrowind characters can have 9 pieces equipment. In Oblivion it is 6.

Morrowind spells have to be equipped like a weapon. In Oblivion you can cast them at any time with a separate key.

Morrowind magicka doesn't regen, you have to sleep or use potions etc. In Oblivion it regenerates over time.

Morrowind has 7 skills for different types of weapon: Short Blade, Long Blade, Axe, Blunt Weapon, Spear, Marksman, and Hand-to-hand. In Oblivilulz, there is just blade which governs all lengths of bladed weapons, and blunt which governs axes and blunt weapons. Spears do not exist.

Morrowind has 3 weights of armor, Oblivion has 2.

In Morrowind you can completely miss an attack, based on fatigue. In Oblivion you always hit, and the damage is based on their armor and skill.

Morrowind has 3 types of melee attack: chop, slash, and thrust. These are controlled by standing still, moving sideways, or moving backward/forwards respectively while pressing the attack key. Oblivion has only one type of attack initially, and then "power attacks" are learned as a player's skill with a type of weapon increases.

Morrowind blocking is based on the block skill level. In Oblivion it is done manually and you can block with hands, weapon, etc.

In Morrowind, running and jumping drain your Fatigue. Low fatigue lowers your chances of successfully accomplishing any task that requires a roll (hitting enemies in combat, casting spells, persuasion, etc). In Oblivlulz, tour fatigue no longer drains while you are running. Running only slows the rate at which fatigue regenerates. Fatigue also no longer influences the effectiveness of spellcasting.

Morrowind has three types of diseases, requiring three different cures. One of these, corprus, is unique to the main quest. Oblivion has 1.

Morrowind contains some cursed items. If you pick up one of these items, it causes a creature to spawn nearby and attack; most frequently this is a powerful Dremora Lord. Oblivion has no curses.

etc

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Half of that autistic wall of text is incorrect. For example, Oblivion has about 28 diseases in the base game and many more added with the expansion/add-ons.

If you're willing to exaggerate about that what else are you exaggerating about? Id go over your entire post but I'm not retarted - at least not certifiably so

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also trimming some of the fat was a great idea.
Jumping around to increase acrobatics? Fuck that shit. And fuck Oblivion for cutting so much stuff that was actually fun (spellmaking got butchered) and keeping this of all things.

Also 3D real time combat doesn't mesh well with miss and hit dice rolls. Hitting and missing is what the combat ballet is all about, the blocking, the moving back or sidestepping. You don't need dice rolls for that, but you definitely need a much better AI than what the TES games offer. So far it was less of a ballet and more like staggering around drunk.
So yeah, someone mentioned it already, give combat actions more weight and make it feel more like Dark Souls. But don't overdo that shit, this isn't Dark Souls and torturing the player shouldn't be the main focus.

And get rid of levelscaling. Open world games where you follow your whims and go anywhere you want doesn't mean it has to be a theme park that spoonfeeds you all the content on first sight and pats you on the back after you followed the quest marker for a few hours like the handicapped child that you probably are.
How about locking some of that content away from low level characters? Daggerfall did it and it works. There's no reason why some greenhorn who just arrived at the shore or the border of the province (every TES game has to start like that) should be able to enter every castle and talk to every powerful individual in the land. Just let the NPCs mock the puny wimp and tell him to come back when he's grown up.
And as long as he isn't let the high level encounters in the dungeons and zones related to these quests make short work of him, without him being able to even harm them (or make it as tedious as the troll encounter in Gothic II for underleveled chars).
Also add better written NPCs and NPC interactions (so befriending them and earning their respect to unlock better quests is more than just the annoying stop in town before the next dungeon romp) and get rid of good vs evil entirely. Or at least get rid of saving the province/world from certain doom. Why have that vast and elaborate lore background when this shit is all you can come up with? At least add Daggerfall level of politics and other petty human stuff, so it feels a bit more like a place that could be real and not like the fantasy of a retarded child.
Faction interactions and mutual exclusive factions (befriending one makes you an enemy to the other) should be a given. Same for NPCs themselves. They should have people they dislike and people they like, there should be a whole social dynamics chart for each town/NPC hub. And the player should have to decide which sides to pick, unlocking quests and locking away others.
And not because I'm against the 100% in a single playthrough achievement per se. It's more that I'm for believable worlds, and worlds without conflicts that can't be brushed aside because I'm just awesome like that, such worlds are not believable.

Also I want none of this systemized and all of it handcrafted / handwritten. Fuck emergent storytelling through systems (as opposed to emergent gameplay through systems, which I think is a worthwhile goal).
Nobody should believe in unicorns and emergent storytelling is the gayest marketing buzz unicorn out there. Nothing ever came of it.
Except maybe add Fallout style faction alignment values and minor stuff like attacking members of that faction gives -10 alignment or something. And then you can use thresholds to trigger specific handcrafted consequences on top of the obvious systemic ones (barter penalty, no trading, attack on sight etc).

But this is Bethesda, none of this will happen. TES VI will feature a handful of guild quest chains that can all be completed in a single playthrough. And everyone will love the player at the end, except maybe for a few evil slave traders, racists or other bad apples.
Everything will be just peachy when the ending credits roll.
:negative:

Last edited:

Ranarama

Learned
I'm yet to try Nehrim and Enderal, I had no idea they reworked the terrible Bethesda combat system so that's pretty good to hear.

It's more like they tightened the balance so that blocking and timing of power attacks becomes important and there's never any trash combat. I also recall healing being more difficult.

You know it's surprising how many games ignore the interplay between all those things. Make healing too easy and you no longer have any attrition at all, suddenly every combat is just self-contained.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Half of that autistic wall of text is incorrect. For example, Oblivion has about 28 diseases in the base game and many more added with the expansion/add-ons.

If you're willing to exaggerate about that what else are you exaggerating about? Id go over your entire post but I'm not retarted - at least not certifiably so
None of it is incorrect. Also it is talking about the class of disease not the name of the disease itself. So the one example you gave is wrong, where are the other "half" that incorrect?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
"There is no scaling and much more limited leveling. Many caves and ruins have fixed-level inhabitants. The creatures that spawn and the loot you find in crates depend on your level, but all creatures and attributes have a static level and higher level creatures never completely replace the low level ones. As a result, low level characters will have a much harder time, but high level characters will actually have it easier. No NPCs have leveled armor or weapons, what they have is what they will always have. Caves and ruins become less profitable as you level up, save for random loot."

- http://uesp.net

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL you must be a Bethesda fan to write all that shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom