Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls What is the best RPG of all time?

MilesBeyond

Cipher
DA:O is honestly notable for being a reasonably successful crossover. It walked this balance where it was babby's first rpg but was still grudgingly tolerated by grognards.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DA:O's not an RPG btw because it doesn't have potions.

It did, there were no stamina potions till the expansion tho.
Looks like you are right. I just remembered there were health poultices (that you inexplicably had to drink) and thought they were all called that. But looks like mana potions are just called potions.

Falksi

Arcane
DA:O is honestly notable for being a reasonably successful crossover. It walked this balance where it was babby's first rpg but was still grudgingly tolerated by grognards.

Pretty much. Given a bit more time for said babby's to adjust, and they could have tweaked it to find that balance between DA:O & the lkes of Baldurs Gate 2. Sadly they went for the quick cash in route, and shat out to wankleroy sequels.

It's great to see the likes of Pillars get a release on the likes of the PS4, but for RPGs to sell in the numbers which the suits want them too they'll likely have to be 3-D based.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
DA:O ... I have to say I enjoyed the mage origin, it had some interesting characters, and a couple decent locations I actually wanted to explore.

The problem is the other 90%

It claims to be a game with a great story. Generic shadow demon thingie is coming, and generic not-orcs are invading. So all must unite to confront this enemy, forgetting old rivalries. I'd be curious to know, someone that finds this plot original, how would he rate the plot of Crusaders of the Dark Savant? Anyways, these hordes of darkness are very dangerous because... they have a lot of hitpoints I guess? combat is so terribly dull, every battle was the same with a couple exceptions. The designers couldn't make a complex combat system or a decent AI if their life depended on it, so they resorted to number inflation to avoid the high level AOEs from ending battles in 1 turn. Linearity certainly didn't help. The last third of the game was easily the worst unpaid job I ever had.

Oh wait, I just remembered those Oblivion gates. Nevermind, it wasn't so dull.

Lhynn

Arcane
Exile trilogy, BG2, fallout, fallout new vegas, bloodlines, nwn best modules.

They are all flawed, but any of these could easily be the best.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
BG2. Not only a great game with overseeable flaws, it's also easily the most replayable linear story-focused game ever made.
PoE2 might become a contender.

Lhynn

Arcane
BG2. Not only a great game with overseeable flaws, it's also easily the most replayable linear story-focused game ever made.
PoE2 might become a contender.
Yeah, so might elex.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
The worst part is that it's almost starting to make sense. The only games I can think of where potions (or setting-appropriate equivalents) are a big thing are all RPGs. Anytime they appear in non-RPGs (like Warcraft 3), it's a game that's considered to have RPG elements.

The definition must attempt to cover all potential games, not just actual games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom