Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First time playing Baldurs Gate... help

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
I recommmend going with paladin your first time that is immune to poisens. Try to give every character a ranged weapon. No shame in playing easy mode..
BG Paladin doesn't have poison immunity IIRC (unless you're using Tutu and you pick the Cavalier kit, Cavs feel OP as shit in BG1)

Yeah in enhanced edition there is a cavelier kit
Jesus Christ they put BG2 kits into BGEE? That's just stupid.

OP, if you're using EE, yes, roll Cav as a training wheels character.
Yeah, they did. If you want really ez times in EE you should roll Archer.
I want him to have a training wheels character, not a "break the fuck out of the game" character. Archer with 4 pips in Longbow at start just fucking murders things, is a little light on AC but it barely matters anyway. Cav lets you avoid some of the really annoying deaths (poison, charm) but still gives you LoH and such, and teaches you the importance of most non-ranged mechanics as well as giving you that high CHA so you can get goodies.

Bl@de

Educated
Never played a 90s cRPG and decided to start with an AD&D game? Why? Go with something simple and fun like Fallout. AD&D can be overwhelming for a beginner. If you want fantasy play some newer and easier title like Pillars of Eternity (don't know if you played it. If you have: Try Wizardry 8. Great blobber).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Re: Safana - if you're a good/neutral-leaning-good MC you've got Imoen. If you're evil/neutral-leaning-evil, perhaps, but why dual her to mage when you can get Edwin, the best mage in the game? That, and as long as you're not going full-on murderhobo baby-eater Imoen will stick with you for a while anyway. Montaron's a passable evil thief, the halfling bonuses he gets are nice. He comes bundled with Xzar who's got an OK specialization but is squishy as hell.
Re: Shar-Teel - you might as well just have Safana if you need a morally-ambiguous thief, or Montaron. Safana's less of a horrid cunt than Shar-Teel, as a bonus.
If you wanted to be weird and evil, you could just get Tiax later, who's not particularly good at either of his jobs but is funny as fuck. Maybe Skie and Eldoth, though Eldoth can be grating at times he has a BALLER special ability.

Yeah, there's no point to getting Safana instead of Imoen, but the choice is there if you really want to change Imoen for someone else. Imoen won't leave even if you are the most vile person in the world. You can kill or exploit Xzar so he doesn't come with you. Montaron is a good thief, but he's a multi, while Shar-teel will be a dual, there's the difference. If you play your cards right, Shar-Teel will be the better offensive char overall.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
First of all, I have no idea how to cast spells. I tried the tutorial, the elven mage told me to cast any of his skills but I just accidently killed myself first. Failing the tutorial so I'm off to a good start :/
Are you a mage or are you a cleric/druid? Do you have spells memorized? Elven mage? I don't remember an elven mage in Candlekeep
You get temporary caster followers in tutorial.
I tried the tutorial, the elven mage told me to cast any of his skills but I just accidently killed myself first... I don't know what to do most of the time
Make a "Let's play" video.
That's actually a neat idea. The best LPs are blind and played by complete n00bs. That really gets your nostalgia juices going.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
First of all, I have no idea how to cast spells. I tried the tutorial, the elven mage told me to cast any of his skills but I just accidently killed myself first. Failing the tutorial so I'm off to a good start :/
Are you a mage or are you a cleric/druid? Do you have spells memorized? Elven mage? I don't remember an elven mage in Candlekeep
You get temporary caster followers in tutorial.
Oh, right, Obe's illusions. I don't know how he managed to kill himself in Obe's cellar, though - none of the characters have any AoE spells (except maybe that Wand of the Heavens the Cleric/Mage has) and IIRC the illusions do fuckall for attack rolls.

Eriador

Arbiter
I think it'd be best if you told us more about character you are actually playing (some kind of caster?), then we can start offering you more tips. Do you play the original or the Enhanced Edition?

Unless you want to reroll, in which case Cavalier is a good option for a complete newbie, as others already mentioned.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
The first time I played this I did crit dmg as kensai on one of the first enemies and they exploded and I fell in love with the class, pain in the ass to play for a long time but worth it.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
When I played BG for the first time I didn't knew what D&D was but I never felt lost even if I did not had a manual because the game was pirated.

The only thing that struck me odd was why better armor had lower armor class instead of higher.
So imagine the satisfaction I had when I understood what THAC0 was and how chance to hit was calculated. :)

Parabalus

Arcane
You can finish BG without knowing how to read, just keep at it and don't worry too much.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
To clarify, there's an eleven mage in the tutorial of the Enhanced Edition, not at candlekeep.

I think it'd be best if you told us more about character you are actually playing (some kind of caster?), then we can start offering you more tips. Do you play the original or the Enhanced Edition?

Unless you want to reroll, in which case Cavalier is a good option for a complete newbie, as others already mentioned.

That's lucky I'm a human Cavalier with Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen, the gay gay, and the half-orc Blackguard. Jaheira is a druid and has cure light wounds but I have no clue how to get her to actually cast her spells?

And fuck the manual nobody reads the manual... I only have an hour per day to play and I'm not going to waste weeks reading a manual... I guess this will all be a lot of trial and error

I've been bored out of my mind lately so I figured I'ld give Baldurs Gate a shot. I'm used to playing games 2005 and newer, the only 90s game I've ever enjoyed was Chrono Trigger and Age of Empires 1 & 2.
Why BG and not say... Fallout, Arcanum or PST first?

Never played a 90s cRPG and decided to start with an AD&D game? Why? Go with something simple and fun like Fallout. AD&D can be overwhelming for a beginner. If you want fantasy play some newer and easier title like Pillars of Eternity (don't know if you played it. If you have: Try Wizardry 8. Great blobber).

I want to try Fallout 1, definitely. I've played Pillars of Eternity and thoroughly enjoyed it, although I keep on getting bored in Act 3 and quit. Right now I'm torn between playing BG1 and replaying PoE to the end.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
To clarify, there's an eleven mage in the tutorial of the Enhanced Edition, not at candlekeep.
Oh, something new for EE, I guess. Well, shit.

That's lucky I'm a human Cavalier with Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen, the gay gay, and the half-orc Blackguard. Jaheira is a druid and has cure light wounds but I have no clue how to get her to actually cast her spells?
If you're a Cav you're going to have some HUGE issues with Dorn. He's probably going to tell you to get fucked if you play your Cav properly. As for the spells, if Jaheira has them memorized, click on the moon-and-stars button when you have Jaheira selected, then select the spell you want to cast, then pick the target for the spell. It's really not that hard.

And fuck the manual nobody reads the manual... I only have an hour per day to play and I'm not going to waste weeks reading a manual... I guess this will all be a lot of trial and error
When I had the original TotSC boxed game with manual I whipped through all the documentation in under an hour, my man. You shouldn't need weeks to read the manual.

Eriador

Arbiter

Erm, do you like read at the speed of one sentence per day or something?

I'm pretty sure it would be way less time-consuming to just read that manual then trying to run this blind or waiting for responses in this topic.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think the ideal time to start a new game you've never played before is on friday night to saturday morning... Not on a busy weekday when you only have one hour a day to play...

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I think the ideal time to start a new game you've never played before is on friday night to saturday morning... Not on a busy weekday when you only have one hour a day to play...

I would have to wait until June next year to do that... but I think you're right. I should make a Lets Play screenshot series of my first time playing BG1, DoS, BG2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, PoE and PoE2 all with the same main character. That'ld be fun

Mustawd

I've been bored out of my mind lately so I figured I'ld give Baldurs Gate a shot

LMAO. How does that sentence even exist?

Just stop dude. IE games are horrible. Play ToEE instead.

The game has been entirely hit and miss

giphy.gif

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I'm a noob to CRPGs and I don't want to make two noob threads in the same day, but is 'BG1:EE, DoS, BG2:EE, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, PoE and PoE2' a good order to play the isometric cRPGs in? Assuming I want to play as the same main character throughout the games and be able to import custom portraits for him. Am I missing any other classics or is the order wrong (I know nothing about icewind dale)

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
been entirely hit and miss, and I don't know what to do most of the time

Your THAC0
You mean ...
O14CsqI.jpg
Yum! Now I'm hungry.

@OP:
Did you figure out how to cast spells yet? :lol:

And if you ever manage to import your player character from the Baldur's Gate games to DoS or PoS err I meant PoE then please let us know. That would be so awesome, mang! +M

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I'm a noob to CRPGs and I don't want to make two noob threads in the same day, but is 'BG1:EE, DoS, BG2:EE, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, PoE and PoE2' a good order to play the isometric cRPGs in? Assuming I want to play as the same main character throughout the games and be able to import custom portraits for him. Am I missing any other classics or is the order wrong (I know nothing about icewind dale)

BG1 goes nicely into BG2, but I'd play Planescape after that instead of pretty much any of the rest of those. Icewind Dale is pretty monotonous, only play it if you really like the technical side of the 2e D&D character building and the infinity engine combat system.

Planescape really needs to be played by any serious CRPG aficionado. Even if the game doesn't appeal to you, it's basically "required reading." Like Citizen Kane, or Chaucer, or Hawthorne, etc.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
BG1 goes nicely into BG2, but I'd play Planescape after that instead of pretty much any of the rest of those. Icewind Dale is pretty monotonous, only play it if you really like the technical side of the 2e D&D character building and the infinity engine combat system.
2e character stuff is honestly not bad, but IE combat is fairly crap and is more of a means to an end (unless you have a very magic heavy party, then it's kind of fun)

Planescape really needs to be played by any serious CRPG aficionado. Even if the game doesn't appeal to you, it's basically "required reading." Like Citizen Kane, or Chaucer, or Hawthorne, etc.

Planescape and Sigil are just so damn awesome as settings. The whole point of PS:T is to experience the setting as much as you can, not so much to carve things up for ecks pees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom