Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frostpunk - ice age city builder from This War Of Mine devs

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
So there's almost no gameplay, great.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I like what (little) I've seen. But I'm triggered by the prefect circular shape of the colony, it should be all fucked up, architecture-wise. Unless it's tied to some lore stuff or something.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Maybe it's tied to the core of the city which traps heat from beneath the surface of the earth. They expand in a rotary fashion because it's the most logical rather, using up all surrounding ground before expanding outwards again.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Maybe, but it shouldn't be that neatly done, in world where people are barely surviving.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
In 1999 I might have believed such a title was possible, but today we all know that any non-PC, non-SJW choices will have some massive and illogical drawback that make this game primarily about guessing the social stances of the designers that created it.
This war of mine was a nice game and it did allow you to go around murdering everyone to steal their supplies(or just steal, without the murdering part). The only penalty was that it could make your dudes depressed.

This could be good as well.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

Child labor is always good. Maybe even delicious baby meat stew?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So it's kind of like King of Dragon Pass?

Re: 'perfect' circular shape. It seems to expand outward as it grows and not in an entirely circular shape. Fairly realistic when you look at how most cities are today.

Direwolf

Arcane
Looks interesting. Hopefully it has proper survival mechanics, instead of usual - build those 5 things in this order and you're good forever.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here's a demo run-through with no commentary by somebody who seems to have some idea how to play.

I like that you don't have to leave gaps between buildings for roads. Also, I saw in another video where a guy replaced his tents with bunkhouses by just dropping the bunkhouse plan on top of the tents. It just took the difference in cost between the salvage value of the tent and the cost of the bunkhouse, and put down the foundation of the bunkhouse for his guys to build. I like little touches like this that make games less tedious.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamer.com/10-days-in-frostpunk-maimed-children-cannibalism-and-laws-about-soup/

10 days in Frostpunk: maimed children, cannibalism, and laws about soup
The brutal and beautiful city building survival game gives you tough choices and even tougher laws.

Once every twelve hours in the Frostpunk demo I've managed to get my hands on, I can open the Book of Laws and issue a new decree. It's all treated very gravely—Frostpunk, from 11 bit Studios, is a tough and gritty game about building and managing a city in a hostile, frozen environment—but it's hard not to laugh a little when my first law involves soup.

I get the gravity of the situation, I really do. My small collection of citizens are starving and freezing and miserable. Resources are in short supply. My generator is barely keeping people warm, many are sick and injured, and night is falling which will bring even colder temperatures. Cooking soup—and only soup—means being able to feed more people with less food, which makes sense.

Still, it's a soup law. It's a law about soup. It's hard to take myself seriously as the leader of the last civilization, one on the brink of doom, when I'm opening a big law book, probably while surrounded by my most trusted advisers, and writing the word 'soup' in it. Maybe in capital letters. SOUP.

That's the first and last laugh I get in the Frostpunk demo, which gives me ten days of in-game time to play. Those are ten incredibly stressful, horrible days full of tough choices and tougher laws. Much tougher than my Law Of Only Soup.

I begin with just a generator and a few dozen cold, hungry survivors. I assign some to collecting coal, wood, and steel from the crater my city sits in, and watch as my tiny workers push their way through chest-high snowdrifts. They all leave grooves in the snow behind them, which fill back in when more snow falls. It's a really nice touch and makes me wish the zoom could push in all the way. I want to see my miserable, soup-sucking civilians up close as they shoulder their way through the frost.

With some resources gathered I can turn on the generator for warmth (the snow around it melts away, another lovely detail) and begin to build the handful of structures available, which will crowd in a circle around my massive generator. At first there are just tents and a shelter, a hunting lodge and cookhouse, but more are added as I slowly progress through the first few days. If I keep the city together through its shaky first week I'll be able to add a building for tech research, a medical building, sawmills for harvesting trees, a coal mine, and other structures.

Aside from shelters, buildings need to be staffed with workers who are pulled from gathering duty, which means fewer resources. All the while, there are two meters at the bottom of the screen: discontent and hope. They fill and empty depending on the current circumstances and my decisions. One of those meters, like the bellies of my citizens, is always just about empty.

I regularly get to open my Book of Laws and make a decision, like about how to care for the ill, how to dispose of the dead (build a cemetery or just dump 'em in the snow), and whether or not children should be given jobs. Well, forced into jobs. Safe jobs! But still, jobs.

I do have one bright moment amid the grim and cold days. When I finish researching scouting, a balloon slowly lifts from the city which I can use to examine the surrounding map. It's small beacon of hope (for me, at least, as I'm too busy watching the balloon to notice if it lifts the spirits of my citizens as well). Having spied a few new locations in the world from the balloon, I can send small scouting parties out.

This results in more decisions. First, which workforce do I draw from to create my scouts in the first place? Every person I reassign from a task leaves me short-handed. My scouts, once I've assigned and dispatched them, find other survivors on the map, who I need for my labor pool but who will also deplete my meager soup reserves and take up space in the shelters. I also have to choose if I should have my scouts accompany them back (thus costing my scouts some valuable time) or hope the survivors can find my city on their own (thus risking some of them dying along the way). Every choice has a downside.

As my city slowly grows, more decisions crop up. Should I enact a law that says I can force people to work at night during an emergency? Yes, definitely, though mainly because I'm frustrated when the work stops at night anyway, especially when my latest tech research is 94% complete. I know, you're all tired and cold and hungry, but things need doing and the longer things take to do the more of you will die and the even longer things will take. To do. So do 'em.

I find that forcing children into labor is a pretty easy decision. This comes after noticing that one kid's status is that he is on his way to play. Play? In a frozen city of death? Trust me, kid, you can make a game out of gathering rusty, jagged steel from a snowbank. It'll be fun! A little later, I'm asked to decide if kids should perform more dangerous jobs. Um... yes, but let's not issue a press release on this one, fellas. I'm beginning to feel like a pretty terrible person.

I've already had to pull staff from the medical building to gather more coal, and this is with my sick numbering so high I've run out of beds and they're lying on the floors. I can't afford the resources for a more advanced medical building so I've told my doctors to start cutting off limbs (their patients' limbs, not their own) if it's more efficient than longer, kinder treatments.

Meanwhile, the consequences of my terrible decisions begin arriving like snowfall. The people whose legs I've been sawing off can't work, but they sure can still eat. One kid I've forced to work hurt himself, and I'm torn between giving him a day off (he is a kid, after all) or reprimanding him (look, I can't have other kids deliberately hurting themselves to get out of coal duty, right?).

As I approach day 7 of the 10-day demo, things really begin falling apart. I haven't built enough housing for everyone and half my population is homeless. My hunters aren't gathering enough food and the cookhouse is empty. People are sick and cold and dying. Research on new tech is happening too slowly. Every person who dies means fewer resources that can be gathered, but not enough of them are dying to solve my housing shortage. I'm mulling over a decision to make cannibalism a city-sanctioned activity (should spice up the soup, at least) when I'm told my generator, which I've been running on overdrive for more warmth to combat dropping temperatures, has gone critical and needs to be repaired.

I'm told the only one who can fix it is someone small enough to crawl inside. Yes, yet another child whose life I've ruined is my city's only hope. I send her in, and she fixes the generator, dying in the process. Little Hattie Ridley, you will be remembered as a hero, because I stuffed you into a generator hatch and crossed my fingers. And then probably ate someone else's fingers.

We don't yet know Frostpunk's release date, but boy I hope it's soon. Those ten days (well, eight—my generator wound up exploding the next day anyway) were filled with challenging decisions and grim stories, and it's a gorgeous looking game to boot. The demo, as far as I know, isn't available to everyone, but if that changes I'll be sure to let you know.

rado907

Savant
Tried this one at PAX, and it was a standout title for me. Played great and reminded me of Banished. The graphics and vibe were neat and the gameplay seemed to revolve around finding a proper build order and then balancing various metrics.
My hopes are medicore - all I want is a decent 10 hr city builder - and this game looks like it might deliver that.
Monitoring on Steam, hoping for an 85+ rating.

wyes gull

Savant
Damn that looks just as depressing as This War of Mine. These guys have a knack for the apocalypse.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Without doubt, one of the most interesting game in recent years. Can't wait.

We’ve already announced that we aim to set the price for Frostpunk to be on a “premium indie” level. What most of you assumed was €35-40... so you should be happy to hear that Frostpunk’s digital version will be available for $29,99/EUR 29,99 (or your regional equivalent)! We really want it to be as accessible as possible - so we hope you’re happy with this price!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://steamcommunity.com/games/323190/announcements/detail/1651004639631306532

IRREVERSIBLE | Developer Update (Endgame + price reveal!)

giphy.gif

Since it is difficult to join them together, it is safer to be feared than to be loved when one of the two must be lacking.
- Niccolò Machiavelli

Hello everyone!

Last time we have introduced the automatons with The Cogs of Progress Update - this time let’s talk about something even bigger: advanced endgame mechanics. It’s something we’ve kept secret for a long time - even though you tried really hard to squeeze some information out of us. We’re finally ready to show you one of the biggest choices you’re going to make in Frostpunk: choosing the path for your people. Showing them purpose... even if you have to do it with an iron fist.

--- ENDGAME MECHANICS REVEAL ---

"What makes you a good leader? Or to put it differently - what makes you an effective leader? If you're democratically elected one in some modern country, or if you rule a city in a video game about last bits of civilization trying to survive on a frozen Earth, the rules stay the same" - says Aleksander Kauch, lead gameplay programmer of Frostpunk. "You can try to be the noble one and listen to the people, no matter if they're right or wrong, or you can believe that your cold-blooded calculations will prove valid over the course of survival. Introducing Neighbourhood Watch Law can be the answer to the need of safety on the streets... unless you deem it insufficient and decide to send guards to detain rioters with bats. From a watchful overseer to the rigorous visionary that puts the higher cause over decency - that will be your choice as a player."

See the newly unveiled endgame mechanics and features in the “Irreversible” Developer Update video:

Follow Frostpunk on Steam and add it to your Wishlist: http://store.steampowered.com/app/323190/Frostpunk/ Looking for more details?

--- GAMEPLAY DETAILS ---

Choosing the path of Order will deeply impact your society - and for you as a leader it means a whole new range of tools available at your disposal. We want you to discover them when you play the game but let us show you some examples of new laws that will become accessible after you choose to pursue the path of Order.

giphy.gif

Law: Neighbourhood Watch
We need to mobilise and stand together to help people in need and protect them from troublemakers.

Neighbourhood Watch allows you to construct a brand new building: Watchtower. People living nearby Watchtowers are protected by their neighbours serving as watch members and feel a lot safer. This gives them hope.

giphy.gif

Law: Guard Stations
Organised militia will guard the peace and order in our city and help us deal with anyone who would threaten it.

This law allows you to establish a Guard Station. Guard Stations bring peace and order to nearby homes. The presence of guards lowers the discontent and restores hope.

giphy.gif

Law: Patrol
Ensuring safety and order is of utmost priority to the long term survival of our city.

This law won’t unlock any new buildings - but it gives you an active Patrol ability to use. After enabling it, guards will patrol the streets near their guard stations to uphold law and order. You'll have to provide them with extra food for their effort.

These are just three basic laws that you can introduce after choosing the path of Order. More of them - in different form and magnitude - await you in the world of Frostpunk!

--- RELEASE DETAILS ---

We’ve already announced that we aim to set the price for Frostpunk to be on a “premium indie” level. What most of you assumed was €35-40... so you should be happy to hear that Frostpunk’s digital version will be available for $29,99/EUR 29,99 (or your regional equivalent)! We really want it to be as accessible as possible - so we hope you’re happy with this price!

That’s not all! We have also finished the box art for the game! It was created by one and only Jakub Kowalczyk - who was responsible for a lot of “This War of Mine” artworks as well. Jakub - busy as he is - was cool enough to share some insights about creating Frostpunk’s cover art:
“The biggest challenge here was to create an inclusive art that would show all aspects of the game: harsh and freezing weather, the generator that towers above the city, cross-section of the society and - of course - you as its leader. It not only had to work as an attractive illustration - but I had to make sure it’s still usable as box art - which means adjustability for different platforms etc. You never know where some additional pesky logos may appear...”

1be9599019272656528b2fde078e1f7106c6a398.png

Click here for high resolution[www.frostpunkgame.com]

What about the price of the retail version? What versions of the game are we preparing in general? Do we plan to release an art book? What about the release date? We’d love to answer all these questions now but we’re still discussing some final technicalities with distributors and whatnot. We will give you all the details in one of the future updates - stay tuned!

--- ADDITIONAL Q&A ---

1. Do you plan to support controllers (Xbox/PS4/Steam Controller)?
Maybe in the future - but definitely not on day one.

83d96af224066313caa40c6df5985c8713aae5d1.jpg

2. Are you going to do a surprise release or are you going to announce a release date some days in advance?
We plan to announce it beforehand. We just gave you the box art and the price so rejoice! We want to share more info about the release in one of the future updates, stay tuned.

3. You started to show new things from the game: first the automatons, now the Order. Are you adding it to the game last minute?
Don't worry, we are not adding new stuff to the game at this point. Automatons are not something new, we didn't introduce them two weeks ago. We just didn't show them before! Same situation with the Order mechanics - they are not new by any means, we were just keeping them a secret.

4. Do you plan to make some kind of AMA in the future?
Yes, we would love to do that later on - when we have more information revealed already. In the meantime, we try to visit this discord channel created by our wonderful community: https://discord.gg/CukfhBG - we tend to answer some smaller questions there, so be sure to visit us from time to time!

f9f31da7bb085e36c19d07a7059f1bf2c077d69c.jpg

5. One word: airships. Do you plan to include them in Frostpunk?
Well… you have already seen the Beacons that we have in game, right? Let’s just say that they are not the only flying objects in Frostpunk! However, remember that we try to depict our vision of steampunk - which is quite pragmatic and authentic. So don’t expect huge fleets of airships or something like that.

6. Is there going to be a new preview demo for press/influencers anytime soon?
Nope. We focus on bringing the final game as soon as possible so the next build that we plan to distribute is going to be the full, review copy of Frostpunk.

843ed253ec90ddf1edd258c7bbd283f6713a97ce.jpg

7. When do you plan to post next update?
We want to release it in few weeks at most. Again, the idea is to create substantial updates - and those take some time. However, in the meantime we’re going to share some cool screenshots (and GIFs?!) on our social channels - so be sure to follow us there:
Have a good one and see you next time!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/19/frostpunk-will-be-mod-friendly-and-very-cold/

Frostpunk will be mod-friendly and very cold
frostpunk-mods-1-620x320.jpg

Hello from the Game Developer’s Conference, where every building comes with a blizzard-spewing air conditioner. I’ve just been to see Frostpunk, the societal survival game set in a pseudo-Victorian hellwinter, from the developers of This War of Mine. The frosty management game will support modding, they say, and there are plans for “additional scenarios”. That means both smaller, free updates and bigger packs of paid DLC. Although mod support “probably won’t be from day one”. And the developers haven’t decided what these later scenarios will contain.

I saw a demo similar to the one Adam covered here and can confrim it looks like Good Stuff. Little men and women make trails through the snow, struggling to collect wood as you lord it over them as the leader of a crater full of shacks. Eventually, more buildings arise. Coal extractors, food kitchens, steamworks, sawmills, huntering shacks. All the while problems popped up, threatening to imbalance the settlement’s two sacred meters of “hope” and “discontent”.

It never got to the point were the citizens started rioting – something we’re told can happen – but a small child did get injured working in the food production building. He got the rest of the day off, thanks to the benevolent demo-player from 11 Bit. I would have gone for the other option: “Scold him and tell him to be more careful”.

All this we know. However, the promise of mod support is new. They’ve opted to let people tinker with the game despite being mod-phobic about their previous work, This War of Mine. That’s down to the setting being more outlandish, they say. You see, they once toyed with the idea of opening up This War of Mine to modding, but decided against allowing silly mods into a game that’s mostly about civilians trying to survive a brutal, realistic war.

“We didn’t want a zombie mode,” says marketing man Patrick Grzeszczuk as an example, “because it would impact the feeling of the game.”

Probably for the best. But Frostpunk, being an alternative history in which you can chop people’s frostbitten arms off and replace them with pneumatic limbs, was more suited to letting modders take a punt, and opening it up to Steam Workshop.

“It allows us to be more flexible,” said Grzeszczuk. “We’re more open for people to modify the game.”

They also spoke about the game’s relatively limited nature when compared to other open-ended management games. Many event pop-ups and problems will differ between players, but there is still a concrete story with a firm “climax point”.

“There is a time limit of sorts,” said Grzeszczuk, “but it is a part of how the story plays out.”

That’s probably a race to find a city that’s rumoured to exist nearby, where your people can flourish, before some disaster or game-ending event occurs. A skilled player will be able to complete the game in 60-80 in-game days, he says. To put that into perspective, our demo was about an hour long, in which 6 days passed. But it’s important to note you can speed up or pause the passage of time at will. Although it’s more likely that the generator will explode under too much stress, or your people will revolt and overthrow you – two conditions that will also result in a ‘game over’.

Given those limits, it’s unsurprising they want to add post-release “scenarios”. These will present the player with a new story to follow. When I asked how far-fetched those scenarios will be (this is a game with robot automatons and something on the tech tree called “flying hunters”) Grzeszczuk said they probably wouldn’t drift too far from the gruff, harsh tone of survival and tough decisions.

“We didn’t want it to be wacky,” he said. “The tonality of the game is quite serious. That said with all the options… you can make some weird cities, weird societies.”

They also once toyed with adding strange new scenarios to This War of Mine, he said, but again decided it against when an in-house version of the war-torn survival sim featuring giant rats didn’t quite work.

“We have some serious guys,” he said.

Frostpunk is out on April 24

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.pcgamer.com/you-cant-please-everyone-in-survival-city-builder-frostpunk/

You can't please everyone in survival city builder Frostpunk
Utilitarianism feels inevitable in this depressing city sim.

Frostpunk is a survival sim about managing a city in a wintry post-apocalypse by rationing resources like heat and food, passing hard-knock laws and, if you're Chris, mandating soup. But the more I talk with Pawel Czaplarski and Rufus Kubica of Polish developer 11 Bit Studios, the more I see that it's also a politically charged game about people. It's different from other city builders in that growth is far from your only goal, and it's different from other survival games in that you're responsible for an entire society, not just yourself.

"It's not like a never-ending city builder. It's more story-driven," Czaplarski says. "This game is about politics. It is about being a leader. You are responsible for your entire city-state. Whatever you shape will be your society. At the beginning you have a few simple tasks given to you to adapt to the situation. You need to get some coal, you need to start the generator. But ultimately you're supposed to lead your society to safety."

It's easy to make snap decisions when you're by yourself. In games like Don't Starve, you're free to do whatever you want with your resources. Things change when you're thinking about a group. Everyday decisions suddenly become difficult and complicated, and at the same time, some decisions become dangerously easy because you're not the one dealing with the consequences.

"I strongly believe that different rules apply to morality when it comes to groups," Czaplarski says. "Imagine being appointed leader of a country. Whatever you do, people will disagree, at least some of them. But you should think that, in the long-term, your decisions are right, you foresee the consequences.

"In Frostpunk, citizens ask for solutions to various situations. For example, when lacking manpower, people may ask you about child labor. Normally you wouldn't be sending children to work, but what happens if you're really on the edge? You may decide that sending children to work is actually the best solution."

As Chris discovered, endorsing child labor often leads to unrest and injuries. Luckily the build me and the devs are playing is fresh out of the oven and includes expanded and never-before-seen features. We opt for child shelters instead of child labor, and as a result, later on down the line we unlock the option to have children serve as medical apprentices, which is much safer work than mining coal or repairing massive generators. It's a long-term strategy, and like most long-term strategies in Frostpunk, it's a gamble.

"The laws you set are irreversible," Czaplarski says. "However, future laws can amend what you've decided in the past. Like applying radical treatment when people are frostbitten. They may lose their legs, but you still take care of them. They need to get food, they need to be treated, they need to be taken care of. You keep them in your society but they are useless. They are a part of your society that doesn't work. But this is your decision as a leader, and you believe it's humane. Later on, if you develop technology for prosthesis, you can create prosthetic limbs and make those people useful again. It's not a question of treating people as a resource, but making decisions that are good in the long-term for your entire society."

"What's important is that you don't know this at this point," Kubica says, referring to Frostpunk's many branching laws. "You may go for radical treatment but you don't know what comes further. It's the same with child labor. Usually people tend to send children to work because there's an immediate effect. But I prefer to go with child shelters because later on I can use them as medical apprentices. That's a long-term strategy."

It's especially difficult to resist the allure of immediate, short-term payoffs because you regularly receive requests from citizens. They need homes, they're freezing, they don't have enough food. One of the most interesting requests citizens make is the desire to explore the outside world. Frostpunk is set in an alternate 19th century where the world froze over just after steam engines were invented. Your main city is situated in a frozen crater, and people are curious about the outside world. Is it really as bad as it seems? Are their missing loved ones out there somewhere? Is yours really the last city on Earth? The only way to find out is to send exploration parties into the frozen wasteland, which carries huge risks.

At any given moment, you can bet that someone in your city is unhappy, and it falls to you to decide when to listen. You can ignore requests and complaints, but that builds discontent, one of Frostpunk's two most important resources, the other being hope. If your discontent bar maxes out, your citizens are liable to riot. Likewise, if you run out of hope, your citizens will likely abandon your city. Both result in you failing the scenario—there's currently one main scenario and two sub scenarios with unique challenges—so you have to at least meet your citizens halfway. For me, that's the most exciting thing about Frostpunk. You're the one in control, but there's no such thing as one-way communication. Your people also talk to you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom