Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Jade Empire

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
IIRC it's also possible to convince Dawn Star and Silk Fox to have a threesome if you tried to romance both, but you need a high persuade skill. Otherwise you have to pick one or the other.

deama

Prophet
I remember playing this 5 times in a row 7 years ago, looks like I'll have to go back to it again.

Deleted member 7219

I remember playing this 5 times in a row 7 years ago, looks like I'll have to go back to it again.

You need to play it twice more to have played it through the required 7 times.

As for myself, I've lost count of the number of playthroughs. Probably 2 on the original Xbox and another 2 on PC.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember Jade Empire to be a pretty fun game if you do not go into it expecting any kind of depth. In fact, its better to not expect an RPG at all. Its a fun action adventure in a unique setting, with a fast paced beat em up combat system and the usual Biowarean kind of companion interaction. The latter felt particularly flat and boring to me in this one compared to other BW games.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In general, do you recommend this game?
In general, it's okay to skip it, in my opinion. It doesn't do anything spectacularly well. It has bad controls, the characters are so-so. Dialog is cheesy. You'll encounter some fun quests and characters. You'll probably see the plot twist coming from a mile away. I'd say that if you are into other BioWare games, you can't go wrong. A bit more action focused combat. I mish-mash of Chinese/Japanese culture. Not overly long, took me 25 hours or so on hardest difficulty. I bought it on the cheap and don't regret playing it. It just won't be anywhere near my favorite games if I ever do a personal top RPG list.

deama

Prophet
Btw, if anyone plays it, the fps is locked to 30, so uncap it in the JadeEmpire.ini by changing clampFPS to 0 (after starting game once); makes it much nicer to play, especially the combat parts.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
In general, do you recommend this game?

If you have a craving for an Eastern-themed RPG and don't mind nuBioWare then it's worth it. I played it once and was satisfied. The PC edition is pretty cheap on Steam/GOG during sales.

Prime Junta

It is IMO the least bad of the nu-BioWare games. It's light-hearted, the art direction is consistent and atmospheric, the gameplay isn't so bad it gets in the way, it's not too long, and it doesn't try too hard. It's ... fun. It's almost a shame they went for relentlessly edgy bloodsplash grimdark ever since.

(But if you're looking for a hardcore role-playing experience, look elsewhere.)

polo

Magister
I emjoyed it a lot when it came out, then i tried to replay it some years ago and boy it was bad. Didn't last more than 20/30 mins.

ortucis

Prophet
I remember finishing the game twice, a long time ago (probably a year after the release).

Ignoring the shitty combat, the game had some hauntingly good music and atmosphere, like the area with the dead children (along with the accompanying music).

Also, from what I remember, you had to buy items but traders were scarce and the game artificially blocks you from going back to buy items from older traders (unless I am thinking of some other game).

Overall, definitely worth playing once or twice. Now I wanna play it again cause I think I played it back in 2006..

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Prince of Qin and Legend of Cao Cao are way better Asian RPGs btw.
I tried to play prince of Qin, but the writing is so dog shit I wanted to strangle myself with my own eye cords.
Is there an english patch or something that improves it? Cause I do want to play it.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
The best thing about Jade Empire is the encounter with the European explorer, voiced by John Cleese. You have to beat the guy in a debate just to be allowed to fight him, and he mocks your retarded Asian culture for being backwards and stupid.
I heard many people like it, so after seeing your comment I watched it on youtube.

It was pathetic. "Debate" on 12-year old level.

Falksi

Arcane
As a fan of KOTOR, Mass Effect & Dragon Age: Origins I bought this around 6 months ago to play for the first time.

It was wank and I hated it.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The best thing about Jade Empire is the encounter with the European explorer, voiced by John Cleese. You have to beat the guy in a debate just to be allowed to fight him, and he mocks your retarded Asian culture for being backwards and stupid.
I heard many people like it, so after seeing your comment I watched it on youtube.

It was pathetic. "Debate" on 12-year old level.

This is still BioWare we're talking about. Everything is on a 12 year old level.

Phisto

Literate
I tried replaying it awhile back but I had forgotten how much of a drag the first couple of areas are. Thank god for that trainer with the super speed option. I did eventually drop it after the nostalgia wore off but not before meeting with the Princess. She was some grade A poonani that made me think Bioware should just make everyone Asian since apparently they can't design western women.

Puukko

Arcane
I installed this on my laptop to have something to play while away and I think I'll get to it later, but man, generic happy go lucky American accents on these characters just do not work.

It is IMO the least bad of the nu-BioWare games. It's light-hearted, the art direction is consistent and atmospheric, the gameplay isn't so bad it gets in the way, it's not too long, and it doesn't try too hard. It's ... fun. It's almost a shame they went for relentlessly edgy bloodsplash grimdark ever since.

(But if you're looking for a hardcore role-playing experience, look elsewhere.)

It's got gameplay so bad it just lets you skip it. Those top-down scrolling shooter sections might be the worst, most stiff version of that type of thing I've ever played before or since. Remember following that game before release, thinking that sounded cool, played a little of the first shooter section and just started skipping that shit after trying it. The core combat is also pretty bad, also very stiff, which isn't exactly the thing you want in your kung fu fighting game.

Most of the mystical Chinese fantasy setting by way of a bunch of Canadians was also pretty bad. Like, go fucking rent Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain or something before designing shit for your same. There were some pretty boring designs for characters too, but it wasn't as bad as some of those stages.

Did play a demo for one of those Naruto fighting games or whatever they are, and that has a combat system that feels like it's what BioWare wishes they'd of done in Jade Empire. If they ever want to make another Jade Empire, they should just get CyberConnect2 for the heavy lifting of the development.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I enjoyed it back in the day but when I tried to fire it up a last year it was a real slog. Much like KotOR, 10+ year old console games do not always age well.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't imagine playing it today. But hey, at least it's not KotOR - the accursed Rider of Popamolecalypse.

Poor action combat is preferable to poor RTwP. And they've tried to do something original with the setting.
There was also an attempt to give a different twist to the binary blue/red morality. And it was a hilarious failure. Some dialogues and the game manual give a more sophisticated description of the Way of the Closed Fisting. Survival of the fittest etc. But the game will actually punish you if you take a more nuanced approach, you may even miss one fighting style entirely. So you have to go full evil, you can be pretty fucking "lololol evil for the sake of evil" in this game.

We need more cheesy kung-fu games.

796c05c2de52afc33093fcfe16fb26a4.jpg

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
I found Jade Empire to be embarrassing back in the day. Maybe now I would be more tolerable, but I would have appreciated a more honest attempt to make a kick ass kung fu game based on Chinese kung fu movies from the 70s, than douche with modern haircut speaking fake Chinese in fake China culture. I'll probably play it again someday.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe we will get something like that, now that we are getting more Chinese games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom