Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls What is the best RPG of all time?

Falksi

Arcane
Can only narrow my nominations down to 4 - Baldurs Gate 2, Morrowind, The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins. All flawed, all with their own issues, but each does the key thing superbly - provides an epic tale & sense of adventure, with plenty of mystery, things to discover & C&C.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dragon Age: Origins
23261.jpg

(The Mabari Warhound was the best NPC in DA:O first and foremost because at least he didn't actually say anything. That doesn't speak well of a game in a genre that thrives on rich dialog.)

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Hmmm ... Fallout 2, Arcanum ... maybe Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition, just because of the mechanics alone ... eh, D:OS EE it is. I still have fun with it.

Krivol

Magister
Well... Fallout 2 was my first RPG game I remember and it was perfect. It's true F2 is so much lulzy than F1 but still I love it more. Best game ever IMO, better than Tetris.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Ultima VII, 1+2. Simply for its world building, especially Serpent Isle.

Story is pretty bad (in Black Gate), mechanics are utter shit, but at least they don't get in the way.

Not every RPG needs to do the same things. Games with great combat but meh world building aren't better than games with fleshed out worlds but shit combat. In fact, since all RPG's are shit in some way, it's good to have variety.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
23261.jpg

(The Mabari Warhound was the best NPC in DA:O first and foremost because at least he didn't actually say anything. That doesn't speak well of a game in a genre that thrives on rich dialog.)
But you couldn't really court him. I heard this lack of any interspecies romance option was later fixed in DA:I, so I suspect it's potentially much better game.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
23261.jpg

Dogs are ace :shittydog:
I love dog NPCs but the Mabari should have been in a better game

But you couldn't really court him. I heard this lack of any interspecies romance option was later fixed in DA:I, so I suspect it's potentially much better game.
I'm sure there are DA:I fans who wished they could be railed by the Mabari and the Qunari at the same time, because DA:I fans are a bunch of fucking degenerates

Last edited:

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Define RPG.

This reminds me of a dude who once said that an RPG is a game that has potions.

The worst part is that it's almost starting to make sense. The only games I can think of where potions (or setting-appropriate equivalents) are a big thing are all RPGs. Anytime they appear in non-RPGs (like Warcraft 3), it's a game that's considered to have RPG elements.

Is it possible that he was right?

(Spoiler alert: No, it is not).

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
Define RPG.

This reminds me of a dude who once said that an RPG is a game that has potions.

The worst part is that it's almost starting to make sense. The only games I can think of where potions (or setting-appropriate equivalents) are a big thing are all RPGs. Anytime they appear in non-RPGs (like Warcraft 3), it's a game that's considered to have RPG elements.

Is it possible that he was right?

(Spoiler alert: No, it is not).
Thief had potions, wasn't an RPG, so that's all you need to establish that he's not right

Falksi

Arcane
Whilst DA:O certainly saw the scales start to tip in favour of SJW, every which way but loose, sex/romance, I'll be honest and think it did it fairly well, and still managed to tell a great story in the process.

Alistair being open to gay love felt realistic because of his niavity and softness. And Zevren & Leliana both being bi felt realistic because of their jobs, roles & backgrounds. Not saying it was perfect, but it never felt - if you excuse the pun - like it was being rammed down my throat. It was just there as an option, and felt as if it fit into the gaming world fairly naturally.

I actually wish that the more traditional RPG fans would have taken to DA:O more, and thus given EA & Bioware something to think about in terms of the audience it chased. As mint as isometric, old school RPGs are things are always gonna change with the times, and I think that the original DA:O contained enough old school elements to still be great, whilst it actually benefitted from a lot of the new ones too.

Certainly, had Bioware/EA spent the next 2 sequels fine tuning the gap between DA:O & Baldurs Gate 2, as opposed to trying to turn DA:O into Skyrim or The Witcher 3 etc. both they & us would be better off for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom