Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What is the worst RPG of all time?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Gothic 3 - probably the most disappointing shamble of a mess i ever played.

I take it you have never played "Gothic 4: Arcania," a game so bad that they removed the Gothic tag.
Hahahaha i just remembered how some hack journalists were saying that arcania was return to form and it was good like Gothic 1.
ToEE was and still is broken beyond believe.Another disappointing game is wasteland 2.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Skyrim's biggest fucking cardinal sin is that it decided to minimize the "RPG" and maximize the "hack and slash" and it does a SHIT job at "hack and slash". Melee combat is a game of "death by a thousand fucking paper cuts" (more or less just like fucking Oblivion) and everything just feels the fucking same. There is no meaningful difference between going axe, mace or sword, and the difference between 1h, 2h and DW is that 2h is garbage and 1h/DW will outfight 2h any day and twice on Sunday.
Well, it sold a zillion copies, so I expect more, but yeah, you nailed it. I just don't want to walk around and stab things randomly. I did enough of that in Oblvion to choke a mule, there has to be something more. But there wasn't. I didn't like the color scheme, exploration had a lot to look at, but not a lot to do, and it all blended together for me. There was no difference between the stormcloaks and the other guys. I joined one faction, but just didn't really pay attention to the outcome, because I didn't really think there was one. I would randomly get attacked by guards or folks on the road, but I didn't remember which faction I was in, I just started fighting.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
Skyrim's biggest fucking cardinal sin is that it decided to minimize the "RPG" and maximize the "hack and slash" and it does a SHIT job at "hack and slash". Melee combat is a game of "death by a thousand fucking paper cuts" (more or less just like fucking Oblivion) and everything just feels the fucking same. There is no meaningful difference between going axe, mace or sword, and the difference between 1h, 2h and DW is that 2h is garbage and 1h/DW will outfight 2h any day and twice on Sunday.
Well, it sold a zillion copies, so I expect more, but yeah, you nailed it. I just don't want to walk around and stab things randomly. I did enough of that in Oblvion to choke a mule, there has to be something more. But there wasn't. I didn't like the color scheme, exploration had a lot to look at, but not a lot to do, and it all blended together for me. There was no difference between the stormcloaks and the other guys. I joined one faction, but just didn't really pay attention to the outcome, because I didn't really think there was one. I would randomly get attacked by guards or folks on the road, but I didn't remember which faction I was in, I just started fighting.
Stormcloaks are almost likeable, it's just that they're in a shit game and Ulfric's kind of a whiny babby. About the only thing I genuinely relished in Skyrim was fucking with Thalmor patrols at low levels, because they were actually a pretty good fight. Of course, no one ever gives a fuck that you split a bunch of High Elf skulls and freed a Nord, so whatever. I already stated what I thought was terrible about Skyrim's combat, but the real reason Skyrim is a terrible fucking RPG is that NONE OF THE DECISIONS YOU MAKE REALLY FUCKING MATTER. Not a ONE.

Tycho Brahe

Novice
Staying on topic with that guy shitting on Arcanum; does anyone experience any mouse lagging issues on Win 10? I've never had this problem on XP or 7. I also experience this with Divine Divinity. Other games work fine, including Fallout and Beyond Divinity (Now here's one crap RPG). It seems like the only positive thing about Win 10 is that it boots up in three seconds.

Electryon

Savant
Staying on topic with that guy shitting on Arcanum; does anyone experience any mouse lagging issues on Win 10? I've never had this problem on XP or 7. I also experience this with Divine Divinity. Other games work fine, including Fallout and Beyond Divinity (Now here's one crap RPG). It seems like the only positive thing about Win 10 is that it boots up in three seconds.

Try this:

I have GOG Arcanum installed as well as the Unofficial Patch, High Res, HQ Town Maps.

1. I overwrote my existing Arcanum ddraw.dll with the DDraw Fix.

The ddraw fix can be downloaded alone by searching for Aqrit's DDrawFix.
I didn't use the provided exe, simply extract, cut and paste into Arcanum folder, the following;
ddraw.dll
wined3d.dll
libwine.dll

2. Then add -doublebuffer -no3d to the Arcanum shortcut after Target: "Arcanum.exe"
(Mine looks like this "C:\GOG Games\Arcanum\Arcanum.exe" -doublebuffer -no3d)

That's from a thread I have saved over on the GOG forums. Install the mods, put the .dll files in the game folder, and add the command to the shortcut. However, you want to make sure you run the game FROM the shortcut or you'll get a black screen when you start. This is assuming you have the GOG version. As for Divine Divinity, you need to do the video test and run it in compatibility mode (XP 3 is usually a safe bet) and you also need to go into the Task Manager and make sure to set the affinity to only one core.

Electryon

Savant
Everyone would probably say Ultima IX in regards to that series, but at least it's playable when patched. Ultima VIII has some of the worst gameplay ever devised for a video game. Just moving around is fucking nauseating. Descent to Undermountain is an easy pick, because it's not a workable product. I'm not sure it should even count. The proto-Elder Scrolls Legends of Valour is also incredibly bad from a control standpoint even from a DOS-perspective.

the_shadow

Arcane
For me it would be Eschalon. For all the glowing reviews I heard I thought it would be something exciting and different, but it's completely cookie cutter and far inferior to other isometric RPGs produced by Indie companies such as Spiderweb Software.

Every time someone says Ultima 9 is a terrible RPG, I have to laugh. I can understand objectively *why* it is such a bad RPG: Buggy as anything, completely upturns and retcons the past storylines and lore, has awful combat and AI, doesn't have much in the way of min-maxing stats, and lacks the non-linearity you'd find in past Ultimas. But subjectively I can't hate it, even though I must have invested days of time just trying to navigate around the dozens of bugs in that game. Even getting the thing running was a chore. It was the first 'true 3D' RPG I'd ever played, so it blew my mind. It was a huge lush 3D world with awesome spell effects. Add to that complete voice acting and a fantastic soundtrack, and you could almost ignore the *many* glaring flaws, especially if you're 11 years old when playing it. There were also quite a bit of narm in the game, like a gayvatar (no joke), confusing a troll by asking him to count to 10, and a kid who attempts to shake you down for gold and pelts you for fireballs if you refuse (even if you haven't reactivated magic in Britannia). Then there were times you'd climb over a plot barrier of mountains and activate a cutscene that makes *no* sense, since you're not meant to be able to reach that area yet.

So superficially Ultima 9 looked good, and some of the content was so bad/corny it was good. If it wasn't a bug ridden mess it could have been fun to play if you could ignore the lightness of RPG elements and the retconning of past Ultima games.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
As in it could have been way worse, DA:I was shit folowing shit, nobody gives a shit.

No amount of disappointment has, and I mean this literally not figuratively, ever made me nauseous from disgust and contempt. Oh god, that singing cutscene; it will haunt me for the rest of my life.
It is one thing to play a shitty game for hours and tell an internet forum how much you hate it, but if you actually feel nauseous from playing a game... I think it you need to do something that isn't staring your PC and going to bed...

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Torment: Tides of Numenera. I played it for an hour and backed for the $145 KS collectors edition, which I have still not opened. In under an hour I got a clear whiff of pretense and real world social horseshit injection. Fucking shit. Maybe not truly the worst of all time but what an expensive letdown.

By the way who wants to buy an unopened KS collector's edition?

Tycho Brahe

Novice

Try this:

I have GOG Arcanum installed as well as the Unofficial Patch, High Res, HQ Town Maps.

1. I overwrote my existing Arcanum ddraw.dll with the DDraw Fix.

The ddraw fix can be downloaded alone by searching for Aqrit's DDrawFix.
I didn't use the provided exe, simply extract, cut and paste into Arcanum folder, the following;
ddraw.dll
wined3d.dll
libwine.dll

2. Then add -doublebuffer -no3d to the Arcanum shortcut after Target: "Arcanum.exe"
(Mine looks like this "C:\GOG Games\Arcanum\Arcanum.exe" -doublebuffer -no3d)

That's from a thread I have saved over on the GOG forums. Install the mods, put the .dll files in the game folder, and add the command to the shortcut. However, you want to make sure you run the game FROM the shortcut or you'll get a black screen when you start. This is assuming you have the GOG version. As for Divine Divinity, you need to do the video test and run it in compatibility mode (XP 3 is usually a safe bet) and you also need to go into the Task Manager and make sure to set the affinity to only one core.

Thanks! Divinity is much better, still somewhat laggy, but playable, as for Arcanum, I already did aforementioned things, and not one helped. I swear, I had less problems with Deadly Premonition. If nothing works, I'll just reinstall Win 7.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
Something else I really wanted to point out about Skyrim (add it to the list of reasons Skyrim is shit): The only time I played the fucker through I rolled a dual-wielding melee-focused character and with that character I was absolutely able to do the entire College of Winterhold questline and get the Staff of Magnus. Zero issues.

That's just fucking retarded, I don't give a fuck what you think about being able to do everything with one toon, that's absolutely fucking retarded.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't know which is the worst because I don't play shitty games. :smug:
But then how do you know they're genuinely shitty?
I have the Codex for that my dear Friend.

Just kidding, I would never trust the Codex's opinion. I have a special power knowing which game is good and which is not.
What is your prediction about Divinity OS2,Battle Chasers: Nightwar and ELEX ?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
ad12304519.gif

Nope, i've recently tried to play this again, to see if i can find something good in that game, after all the patches and widescreen fixes, but nope, it's still a buggy mess, with horrible combat, leveling, game mechanics, poor story, bad map, bad cities, and mediocre cliche characters.
You are AMAZING,you have the BEST taste in the codex,you must be god's CHOSEN to bring the INCLINE to the unwashed masses.By reading your posts i am already prepared to be baptised in the almighty omnipotent church of CoD.I will be your prophet o Divinium Maximus,i shall preach to the rabble and burn the heretical opposition.Lets conquer the infidele codex and push back the filthy rpg lovers.It is time this place to become a save space for CoD fans.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know which is the worst because I don't play shitty games. :smug:
But then how do you know they're genuinely shitty?
I have the Codex for that my dear Friend.

Just kidding, I would never trust the Codex's opinion. I have a special power knowing which game is good and which is not.
What is your prediction about Divinity OS2,Battle Chasers: Nightwar and ELEX ?
Div2 will be amazing. Battle Chasers will be pretty good. ELEX will be on the level of Risen. Next question? :D

Beowulf

Arcane
Thanks! Divinity is much better, still somewhat laggy, but playable, as for Arcanum, I already did aforementioned things, and not one helped. I swear, I had less problems with Deadly Premonition. If nothing works, I'll just reinstall Win 7.

For Divine Divinity I had to change the rendering system (in the config tool) form the default to "software", and it became more fluid and playable.

Mr. Salty

Novice
Unfortunately, I have had the distinct pleasure of playing a number of shitfests. But, DA:I has to be the king of that turd pile. I think playing it actually gave me cancer. That's on top of the other notable crap like Mass Effect 2/3, NWN, etc.
ME A may have topped that, but I refused to play. My son even quit half way and he liked the series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom