Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you support a petition for mouse and keyboard support in PS4 games?

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'm considering making one. I don't expect anything to come of it, but it might be interesting to see how many (or how few) people want this. It would be awesome if a big AAA exclusive like The Last of Us, Part II supported them, encouraging other developers to jump on board. It's so strange to me that almost none of the console games that are also on PC have mouse and keyboard support on the PS4. The coding is already there for them to transfer.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
If you don't want corporations to enforce restrictions on video games, you should reconsider whether it is in your personal interest to subsidize the existence of consoles.
14d7f3ac64.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane
If you don't want corporations to enforce restrictions on video games, you should reconsider whether it is in your personal interest to subsidize the existence of consoles.
Um... What? Corporations already enforce restrictions on games. One of the requirements is that Cross is forward/confirm, which is why it was changed from Circle in the MGS2/3 remaster. I read this many years ago, so I can't find the guidelines anymore. Trophies are another requirement now.

Also, I'm not asking for it to be a requirement. Controllers aren't a requirement for PC games.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Why would you want to play Last of Us anyway?
I guess the point went over your head. I'd like a big AAA exclusive like that to support them so that other developers consider it.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Why not just petition these companies to release their games on PC instead?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Why not just petition these companies to release their games on PC instead?
Because if Sony doesn't have their exclusives, a lot of people will realize the consoles are useless. Sony would never even consider it.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
And you think they would consider allowing any ol mouse and keyboard to be used on their consoles? Destroying their precious controller sales? Consoles are a bonafide racket designed to screw the consumer.

Ezekiel

Arcane
And you think they would consider allowing any ol mouse and keyboard to be used on their consoles? Destroying their precious controller sales? Consoles are a bonafide racket designed to screw the consumer.
Oh, controller sales... Didn't think of that.

I wish they at least bettered their controllers. It's still the same 19-year-old design. Using your clumsy thumb for five different buttons is poor design. Devs have now moved primary actions to the shoulder buttons just so that players can use the sticks more. The shoulder buttons used to be secondary, back when these games had fixed camera angles and cameras that didn't need to be manipulated so much. They still don't do anything with the back. The Steam Controller placed buttons there, making the very limited number of inputs less limited. The limit button layout is probably part of the reason quick time events became so popular. Contextual controls as well. Contextual controls often lead to unintended actions by the player. It also forces the player into more sub-menus and radial menus. Pressing the stick buttons while moving the sticks around is uncomfortable and probably bad for the controller. Also, I sometimes press those buttons down by accident when things get wild, since my thumbs are always resting on top of them. I also sometimes press L2 and R2 by accident, since they're now triggers that jut out. The aiming is so inefficient that devs have to find ways to slow down the action, like forced slow mo, cover systems and forced over-the-shoulder perspectives that blind you with their zoomed in fields of view. Your arm with a mouse has far more control than your thumb with a little stick. I think the idea of gripping the thing in your hands and using your thumbs for almost everything are the biggest problems. I would prefer a controller that lies flat, but I know console players love their couches.

Max Stats

Liturgist
Meh. I don't think any of the games I play would benefit much if at all, but I don't oppose it for the casuals playing COD or FPS ports or whatever else.

Severian Silk

Consoles don't use KBs and mice because they are built differently internally. They can't replicate the "awesome" device found in PCs.

vota DC

Augur
It goes against console's principle. You aren't able to use more than a couple of buttons on them, if you are able, then you are homo sapiens therefore you get a PC.
No idea why they get exclusive of franchises like Hokuto no Ken....I mean you want to play as a guy than can hit 708 (!!!!) pressure points but you get a gamepad/whateverisnamed with four/six buttons?

deama

Prophet
I'd rather there be a partition for forced kinect usage so consoles would die quicker.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
"Would you support a petition for mouse and keyboard support in PS4 games?"

No. I think it's idiotic. Petitions aren't read or signed by anybody, nobody cares. They are stupid. A mouse and keyboard for a console? Go buy a fucking computer, idiot. Who gives two flying shits.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be 'edgey'. Just go sit on the couch, load your super special game onto your console then grab the controller and use the 'A' and 'B' buttons or knobs or whatever they're called and use them on your lower regions to make yourself feel better.

Problem solved, you don't need a social movement for things like this.

I seriously don't understand where douchebags like yourself are coming from anymore and posting on a site like this. Are you like twelve years old and really naive or an actual so-called 'Millenial'?

I think that's a rude term because there are a lot of young people that have brains and aren't as retarded as this. Troll alt fucktard I'm sure. You got me.

Move this entire thread to Prosperland. Mark the non-alts that even consider this a discussion and give special tags to those that thought it was serious.

Thank you.

P.S. When you finally graduate ninth grade English class, please learn to use the <enter> key to break up your text. It's really simple. You don't really need to know how to construct a paragraph or anything. Just hit the <enter> key twice after sentences that actually end in a period. You'll look way smarter and people might read what you typed on the controller thing.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
No. I think it's idiotic. Petitions aren't read or signed by anybody, nobody cares.
Except when they are. But yeah, I know the vast majority of the time, the developers don't care one bit. I was more curious of whether people care.

A mouse and keyboard for a console? Go buy a fucking computer, idiot. Who gives two flying shits.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be 'edgey'. Just go sit on the couch, load your super special game onto your console then grab the controller and use the 'A' and 'B' buttons or knobs or whatever they're called and use them on your lower regions to make yourself feel better.

Problem solved
Not quite. I can try to make myself comfortable, but I still have to deal with an outdated, inefficient design that makes playing a lot of new games more difficult and limits game design. I was disappointed when Sony showed their PS4 controller, but not at all surprised. It's even worse than the previous controllers because they removed the pressure sensitivity from almost all the buttons and replaced Select with Share.

I seriously don't understand where douchebags like yourself are coming from anymore and posting on a site like this.
What I don't understand is why you're so upset. Well, no skin off my back.

Last edited:

RapineDel

Augur
Petition or not this won't happen. To the average console gamer and I've heard this from the horses mouth, consoles are for games and PC is for work/study. This means they don't consider a keyboard and mouse appropriate for gaming.

Most of these people also don't want to accept that the mouse is far more precise then an analogue stick. If you allow this and the K&M people destroy the controller gamers it will only create more of an uproar and you'd see a new petition asking to get rid of it. Let them stay in their own bubble and there's less chance of them calling for changes to ruin PC focused games.

Severian Silk

A petition like this will just cause Sony to dig their heels in even deeper in resistance to this change. Sony has to decide this on their own. Maybe they will seriously consider this step when they decide they want to compete with Steam?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Why play with a mouse and keyboard and be locked at 30fps on a shitty console? Not to mention paying $60 per game. I understand your thinking, but no thank you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom