Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
ME:A didn't sell all that well, at least from the statistics we have access to, so D:OS2 might beat it. No nu-RPG has beaten even BG1 in terms of sales yet, though.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
2 weeks...
giphy.gif

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
note that 1 million words usually goes to text in menu, items, monster description, and not purely 1 million words in dialogue and character dialogue.

those text probably eat 30%-50% of the total words depending on how extensive items/bestiary/journal/etc

Lacrymas

Arcane
They could also be spread out across multiple paths and reactivit.... hHAhahAhaH I can't finish that sentence with a straight face. Who knows, though? :fabulously optimistic: If the Origin stories turn out to fundamentally change the game.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I did most of act 1 with a Knight and default Ilan, Red and Sebille (geo/huntsman, geo/warfare and scoundrel), giving the team mostly physical damage, and things went pretty well. Tried a few new builds out adding more magic to the team. Magic feels pretty weak compared to physical damage. Unlike the physical abilities like cripple and stomp the spells don't do much damage, and wands are crap, so it's hard to penetrate magic armor. Or maybe I wasn't using enough magic... still, a team of wizards would feel redundant.

Favorite character I tested so far was a warfare/necro combo. Great synergy. Necro spells save against physical armor, and points in necro give healing for dealing damage. With the healing, it looks like you can ignore CON and go full-on strength or finesse. There's the possibility of taking Leech or using the Bloodsucker skill, both healing you from blood, but I'm not sure if that's a great idea because there are plenty of enemies that don't bleed so you'd be relying on your own Blood Rain. Polymorph would be a good 3rd class to spec into. Bull provides a spammable gap closer with bleed, wings are a decent cheap teleport (you can't get enough gap closers when you're melee in this game), tentacle for a ranged nuke and that other spell for armor regen every turn.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
HoboForEternity

True, but I assumed we only meant the dialogue, since this is a big game with a big story. But you are probably right.

Lacrymas

You really are the boy who puts his dick in a campfire and will always deny that it hurts as long as he feels he's in the right, aren't you?

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
Really itching to grab this day one. To those who had the chance to play this, has the writing improved? As stellar ad the gameplay may be, if the writing is as silly and banal as the first one I'll just end up losibg interest in the setting and game in the long run.

The tone and style of the writing is very similar to the first game except there's some attempts at making the serious parts darker/edgier. That sort of falls flat because of the cartoony graphics.

I don't feel like the writing is bad. It's actually frequently amusing when it's trying to be. The more serious parts don't get a chance to shine because the setting is so generic we've basically read it a dozen times already.

People's perceptions of the writing quality is also going to change when it's accompanied by the new voice acting.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Being pessimistic is one thing, being negative just to be negative is as productive as ... a shit. You already burned your dick, so I can't add anything anymore and you will be just as grumpy as before even if this game is the biggest thing since you finished your first RPG. So sad.

Wild Slop

Arcane
I'm walking a friend I convinced to buy game through some of the mechanics, and the co-op (being new to me) comes with some aggravations; Like not being able to spec the others character sheet (for review and advice) and even what the other has equipped (why!?). The equipment part in particular is frustrating as this makes it difficult to coordinate how best to distribute items.

Some factors may come into play like assisting the players in concealing info for inner party subterfuge, or just us failing to spot something in the menu options. I am not the host so can't see the host's menu - will do more checking once my head clears.

I would also prefer to be able to make my own saves (only the hosts can make saves) or for the option for the hosts saves to also be saved on my end. I can understand that this is most likely an intended save mechanic but I no like.

I should probably post this on their forums but I'm a damn slacker.... maybe I'll get around to that within 2 weeks...

within 2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks

KateMicucci

Arcane
I feel you... didn't give a heck about this game for a long time and then I lose my job and have nothing to do but go through the backlog. Bright side, either I have a job in two weeks, or there will be plenty of time to play the GOTY.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Is there a point to screwing your own party members over? Or is it simply out of playful teasing or straight-up malice?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Perfect time!I will be just returning from my vocation in Greece.
I am fairly certain that the game will be at least ok.

bataille

Arcane
Played the game for 10 minutes to quench my curiosity, and oh boy, these must be the best elves in the history of elves. I was so extremely impressed by them that I immediately quit the game and marked September 14 on my calendar, heh.

JasonNH

Augur
Editor will be released with the game. Selected modders are already working on some mods, and they will be released when finished.

I wonder what we will see.

I'm under NDA so please don't ask details about the editor right now, but since Swen openly talked about early access, I suppose I can go so far as to mention that a friend and I applied to the open invitation for modders to visit Larian and provide feedback on the toolset. We got accepted and went in early August. Our goal was to construct a standalone adventure that consists of a multiple staged quest, whose aim is more towards helping the modding community rather than providing some kind of compelling content for players on day one. We wanted to sample the entire pipeline of level design, dialogs, encounters, puzzles, crafting, interaction with items, bark strings, sounds, etc. and all in a collaborative effort so that we could help Larian evaluate its strengths and weaknesses for wider use. The content itself is tongue in cheek with some inside jokes, though hopefully still of some mild entertainment to anyone that enjoys the game and its mechanics (except Lacrymas, I know he will hate it :-p). We'll try to have it uploaded to the Steam workshop soon after release, once we have it verified to work with the retail distribution.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Another EA co-op gripe: It wont let me have inner party dialog. Is it because I'm not the host? It's treating me like I'm not the main character in another person's solo. I get something along the lines of "You're not the one I agreed to follow" "Not now" as a response where in solo you can initiate a conversation. :angry:

There are some quest sharing problems too.

I don't want to make the 'this is EA maybe it will change' excuse too much though I am with these ones.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kieron Kelly (writer/designer) on Twich PAX West show, plays Act 2 as Fane:

One of the hosts is more knowledgeable than ones from the last Twitch show.

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonNH

Augur
Another EA co-op gripe: It wont let me have inner party dialog. Is it because I'm not the host? It's treating me like I'm not the main character in another person's solo. I get something along the lines of "You're not the one I agreed to follow" "Not now" as a response where in solo you can initiate a conversation. :angry:

There are some quest sharing problems too.

I don't want to make the 'this is EA maybe it will change' excuse too much though I am with these ones.

It definitely works in co-op, but the person that recruits the companion is the one who gets the dialogues as far as I recall.

Sentinel

Arcane
Giving DivOS another try, it's still as bad as I remember.

Did character advancement and the shit combat improve in DivOS 2? I won't even mention writing because apparently asking Larian to write a compelling story and characters is like asking Telltale to develop a good gameplay system.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I wouldn't say D:OS' combat is shit, it's the only genuinely good part of that game. The problem is everything else and the fact it's too easy, making the good combat a footnote.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I wouldn't say D:OS' combat is shit, it's the only genuinely good part of that game

It doesn't have that many meaningful decisions to make once you know the right spell-spamming patterns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom