Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which PC RPGs of 1998 have you played? [top 100 voting thread]

Which of the following RPGs have you played?

• Allods: The Seal of Mystery AKA Rage of Mages

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Baldur's Gate

Votes: 141 92.8%
  • Fallout 2

Votes: 141 92.8%
  • Flame Dragon Plus: Mark of the Wind

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hexplore

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • Might and Magic 6: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 78 51.3%
  • Nethergate

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Quest for Glory 5: Dragon Fire

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Return to Krondor

Votes: 49 32.2%
  • Gates of Skeldal

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
It's doing a lot better than mm7 did. So far.

Darkion

Augur
Gates of Skeldal is a mystery to me. I don't remember having heard of it and after checking some videos in You Tube I know I never saw it before in my life. I will probably try and get it for completion's sake or something.

Same thing with Flame Dragon Plus. Never heard of it. Couldn't find any videos and not even Moby Games has a listing for it. What is it?

Darkion

Augur
Same thing with Flame Dragon Plus. Never heard of it. Couldn't find any videos and not even Moby Games has a listing for it. What is it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_Dragon_Plus:_Marks_of_Wind

S'all I got. It was meant for padding really.

Ah, missed that. Found out that the sequel is called Flame Dragon 2: Legend of the Golden Castle and that one has some images and videos. I guess they are similar to the Shining Force games.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gates of Skeldal is a mystery to me. I don't remember having heard of it and after checking some videos in You Tube I know I never saw it before in my life. I will probably try and get it for completion's sake or something.
It's a relatively obscure Czech RPG, was pretty big back home though. You might have heard of 7 Mages as it released recently, which is a sequel to it.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Quest for Glory is one of those franchises that I've always meant to play but have never gotten around to, unfortunately. I've heard some pretty good things.

Eriador

Arbiter

Gates of Skeldal is a Czech blobber. It's freeware now, the only english version is unofficial copy/paste from Google Translate. It's probably enough to play through it, but the item names are not translated.

It has two sequels, Fifth Disciple and the recently released 7 Mages.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Only 57.6% have played MM6?
decline.png
of the Codex.
I did. Found it to be serious Decline.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Only 57.6% have played MM6?
decline.png
of the Codex.

I haven't. I played some Clouds of Xeen but that's it. Through the 90s I was mostly focussed on Ultimas.

I haven't played too many 90s games either. Not because I don't want to though, but because there simply isn't enough hours in a day to fit in an old game amongst all the newer ones that fill up all my time (since gog made all these games easily available and I created an account there). Even though I didn't know it back then, I started RPG'ing in the year 2000, so I did find some 90s games and play them over the years, many would still have been in the shops, like Fallout, PS:T etc, but things like M&M are one of the series I simply haven't got around to yet. One of those series where I say to myself "one day for sure", and it will happen one day.

Something that puts off completionists such as myself is that series like M&M are such a large series, covering many graphical and stylistic eras, with a definite peak of quality amongst other games in the series which are mediocre to possibly even horrible, to which a completionist would expect to start at part one of the series but perhaps that's not the best place to start, so the dilemma of where to start helps one get distracted towards other titles when on the odd occasion one is browsing for a new old RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom