Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I see MegaTraveler 2 is upcoming.
One of the great mysteries for me is how MegaTraveler managed to get a sequel.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's fun seeing him try and make sense of some of the more confused M&M lore, especially since he predicts that he'll find answers to all his questions, and while I remember most, I don't think some of them have an answer. I've loved every single post he's made for both previous M&M so I'm looking forward to the next few weeks.

I also think he got some of his MM2 story mixed up, because he refers to Corak being dead in that game, whereas the Cleric class quest was all about reuniting his soul with his body (and I can't imagine him running that game without a cleric)

Dyskolos

Cipher
I'm often impressed that he even tries engaging with and making sense of the lore and stories at all at this point - which isn't said against M&M here, just against the saturation effect of consuming hundreds of mostly mediocre 80s- early 90s stories without a break.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Was actually dead serious about M&M X. It's combat is miles above the rest. As long as you actually want some degree of tactical challenge and complexity.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
It depends on what one is looking for, that M&M3 (4 & 5 too) combat is simple and fast paced actually plays into its cards as the gameplay is clearly designed around exploration and progression.

A good comparison are early Ultimas and Wizardry, both of which have comparable design sensibilities and a different approach to combat. One doesn't get bogged down by some slow ass combat every few steps in M&M3. Of course, the other games offer other things as a trade off that M&M doesn't but I feel in many ways M&M3 is the most genuine fun and probably the easiest to get into and just boot up and play.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Which M&M has the best combat?
MM2, closely followed by MM1.
I think MM1 is a bit better because encounter design is more interesting (I find MM2 is too fond of "255 of this or that" format, kinda similar to BT1 fixed encounters), but the system itself is virtually identical. MMX could've been a good contender actually but has too many flaws to be called really good. But in terms of the series' main goal of pushing exploration as the major element I think the simplicity of MM3-8 do a great job at making combat more of a speed bump to the main activity rather than stealing the spotlight away from it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Was actually dead serious about M&M X. It's combat is miles above the rest. As long as you actually want some degree of tactical challenge and complexity.
I've only played MM6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, and I agree.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
It's fun seeing him try and make sense of some of the more confused M&M lore, especially since he predicts that he'll find answers to all his questions, and while I remember most, I don't think some of them have an answer. I've loved every single post he's made for both previous M&M so I'm looking forward to the next few weeks.

I also think he got some of his MM2 story mixed up, because he refers to Corak being dead in that game, whereas the Cleric class quest was all about reuniting his soul with his body (and I can't imagine him running that game without a cleric)

I thought Corak was dead...at least at the beginning. But saving him is only an optional side quest (the cleric promotion quest) and he doesn't do anything or appear further in the game after that. He barely appears in any of the games at all, he's mostly just referred to, does stuff in the background or shows up for 30 seconds and then goes away. Kind of an interesting plot device though.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I thought Corak was dead...at least at the beginning. But saving him is only an optional side quest (the cleric promotion quest) and he doesn't do anything or appear further in the game after that. He barely appears in any of the games at all, he's mostly just referred to, does stuff in the background or shows up for 30 seconds and then goes away. Kind of an interesting plot device though.
It's not just a side quest though, that's the point, if you want a cleric you HAVE to do the quest.

Anyway I quite like the way Sheltem and Corak are handled in MM1-5, the latter pursuing the former is the main plot thread yet you barely see either of them until MM5, you just catch glimpses of one or the other, read the writings they've left behind, and piece together their history as implacable foes. It makes the final confrontation in MM5 that much more satisfying if you've been playing the series since the beginning.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Hipster trash doesn't play games, Iznaliu , it only destroys them!

Last edited:
Unwanted

Wehraboo

Unwanted

Seriously, how can soimeone be confused by M&M lore? :lol:

I played every single M%M game except X btw and this kind of blows my mind. I have not read his posts on these but sounds like even more wackiness is to be found on this guy's blog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom