Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What is the worst RPG of all time?

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, Skyrim was boring.
But DA:I was downright retarded.

bataille

Arcane

This work of masters and geniuses. The experience of playing its first release still haunts me to this day.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You mean like actually finished and functional games?
Hard to say, there's 30 years worth of shovelware.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can't say whats the worst because I would not play a game that is likely so suck that much, let alone finish it and I am not judging a game the worst on theoretical grounds. Worst I ever actually played was probably NWN1. Most unfun I had actually finishing a game was, hate to say it, not trying to be edgy, probably Arcanum.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Adventure Quest was pretty lousy...

gfs_76593_2_1.jpg

himmy

Arcane
I played Mistmare almost to the end (the ending bugged out), it wasn't that bad, and had a ton of cool ideas. Another year of testing and development, and it could have been good.

I remember a review in a Romanian gaming magazine when it came out, where the guy doing the review seemed genuinely heart-broken at how much potential was wasted in that game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gotta go with Restricted Area.

A cyberpunk Diablo clone with a bunch of cool characters to pick from, and missions set in wastelands with mutants, or big corporate complexes with heavily armed guards.

And... that's it. The game has two or three tilesets for its dungeons, and about 10 different enemy types and that's it. Higher level dungeons use the same tilesets as the lower level ones, and higher level enemies just have different colors.

It's the laziest, most uninspired, tedious and repetitive Diablo clone I had the displeasure of playing.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
C64 version of Dragons of Flame.
If I hadn't played Phantasie III before that, then aforementioned would probably been my 1st and only CRPG ever.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Draw a JRPG out of a hat and most likely you've got one of the worst RPGs ever made.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Gotta go with Restricted Area.

A cyberpunk Diablo clone with a bunch of cool characters to pick from, and missions set in wastelands with mutants, or big corporate complexes with heavily armed guards.

And... that's it. The game has two or three tilesets for its dungeons, and about 10 different enemy types and that's it. Higher level dungeons use the same tilesets as the lower level ones, and higher level enemies just have different colors.

It's the laziest, most uninspired, tedious and repetitive Diablo clone I had the displeasure of playing.

Speaking of shitty Diablo clones. I don't remember the title but over a decade ago I've played some shitty Korean Diablo clone. It was isometric 2D. Everything was bland, uninspired and boring. And to make things worse you had to grind in that game to get further. It might be even worse then the shitty RPG Maker games I've mentioned earlier just because of how soulless it was.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I would say Ultima 9 was definitely the biggest disappointment. The core game isn't actually among the worst if you can forget this was supposed to be Ultima's magnus opus, but man was it a letdown.

Krivol

Magister
Fallout 3 has special place in my heart - shitties downfall ever. But maybe I'm butthurt, it's playable if you forget previous games and how much those are raped.

Ultima 9 is not playable and is raping it's ancestors. I would vote for U9 then.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The shittiest aftertaste that was left in my mouth was Fallout 3 by a mile above anything else. That comes with some obvious extra baggage, though. And I don't care much to rate shit anyway, there's nothing to gain there.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Still better than most modern shit.At least you could finish Two worlds and Dungeon Lords without getting brain cancer.

Dyskolos

Cipher
Part of the judgment has to be based on failed potential - like some random fuckhead's rpg maker game isn't really that bad since there was no reason to ever expect it to be good whereas Ruins of Myth Drannor, Ultima IX, and M&M IX are strong potentials because of their heritage/franchises. It's the old school theory of tragedy - you need to fall from a great starting height in order for the failure to be meaningful.

Arvennios

Novice
I hear a lot of people citing Pool of Radiance : Ruins of Myth Drannor as one of the worst RPG of all times, I didn't play it, so I can't say for sure, but there seems to be a solid consensus among gamers about it being a horrible game.

The worst RPG I played is Beyond Divinity, glad I didn't spend more than 2 hours on that game, as for J-RPGs, I'd say it's Beyond the Beyond on the PS1, I gave it my best shot, but I couldn't bother with it any longer, it's a bland, generic, slow, boring, frustrating, unimpressive and uninspired game, a rotten apple in an otherwise stellar collection of J-RPGs on the first Sony console.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Yeah, Skyrim was boring.
But DA:I was downright retarded.
This is a true statement. BioWare's imitation of Skyrim was definitely not better. I played both once, and never again; and not being a shit connoisseur I can't be certain which is worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom