Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I kinda don't like the Mask of the Shapeshifter since it gives you access to the abilities and appearance of the other races, even race-specific story perks (like the dwarf merchant giving you better prices). Why be something other than undead in that case? It could've been a Nosferatu kind of run, where you have to use different routes or make yourself invisible while in cities.
so you can meta roleplay

Salvo

Arcane
I don't know about you people, but I find descriptions of objects/people being read aloud by the narrator incredibly annoying. Hopefully there's a way to turn it off in the full game.

Seethe

Arbiter
Different mechanics + all Origin characters have special interactions just for them, so that's a reason to play all of the Origin characters. It's also good for RP purposes.

I don't plan on playing any other origin apart from the undead one, if I'm to replay it I'm going to make a custom char, if not begin with a custom char. What different mechanics? It says that you get the abilities of the thing you shapeshift into.

So you're not gonna get healed by poison and you will get damaged by healing spells after you shapeshift into them?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So you're not gonna get healed by poison and you will get damaged by healing spells after you shapeshift into them?

Dunno, but who cares? It's a flavor thing that is easily worked around. You can still eat corpses as an undead if you shapeshift into an elf, so the major skills are available.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am so sick of CEs these days that include the standard shitty "figurine"

Also a 10 inch statue is not a fucking figurine because there's nothing small about it damn it!

JasonNH

Augur
Found it funny to see breasts on some of the female undead armor. I guess it helps to provide a visual clue.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
i so wish i had money but life is what it is at times, anyway i'm looking forward to the game i just hope the story is abit better then last game.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
My expectations: the game's reactivity and dialogue will be fun enough to make me look past the stupid crafting system which I have to abuse to pass the many combat encounters that make walking around the map a pain.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Archive:

Editor will be released with the game. Selected modders are already working on some mods, and they will be released when finished.

JasonNH

Augur
Actually there is already one mod out for the game that adds a Bard class and overhauls enemies a bit to give them random buffs

Baardvark's Bard Class

Also, technically speaking, Swen said it would be up to the early access modders as to whether those works in progress go up at release.

Oxeren

Barely Literate
Have been waiting for the full release for so long. Multiple times I've been very close to losing control and purchasing the early access version.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Really itching to grab this day one. To those who had the chance to play this, has the writing improved? As stellar ad the gameplay may be, if the writing is as silly and banal as the first one I'll just end up losibg interest in the setting and game in the long run.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I predict the writing to be overwritten alla PoE and Numanuma, as opposed to good. They have a million words in there and, statistically speaking, the vast majority of them won't be the good kind. Even the biggest genius in the world will have trouble with filling 1 million words with quality and the 7 man cuck-brigade at Larian aren't geniuses.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Lacrymas

Sometimes your post read a bit like a bitter ex after a divorce. But if you look at the texts, they are mostly not longer than two lines, so the overwritten part should be done. As for good, hmm, I played through the Alpha and there are already more characters that I can remember, than in part one and I can tell you who the companions and origins are. Will you like all the writing? Hmm, no, but the writing of some people more than others.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That doesn't have anything to do with what I wrote. It's common sense, 1 million words is 10-20 novels' worth of text, how do you expect them to write 20 good novels? That's insane. Also, I suppose I'm just good at pattern recognition? Both PoE and Numanuma had unreasonable amounts of text and both are atrocious. Is it 10000% certain it's going to be overwritten and Numanuma-like? No, but it most likely will be. The amount of characters crammed in there have nothing to do with good writing.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
"Overwritten" means for me that the textboxes are longer than they need to be (more descriptions than necessary, too much adjectives etc.), but in this case they seem to use their words economicaly. So at least if you not like it, it will be not because there is too much padding.

As for the rest: You do know, that different writers have different writing styles do you? With seven authors there should be at least one whose style you like. More interesting is, what the writers did before DO:2 ,how experienced they are in formating text and if they were involved early on the process (which a lot of writers aren't. No really, many companies create the levels first and THAN add the story, that holds the story together) or if they have the bloody time for it. The quality of the writing depends on so much, but the amount of text isn't the biggest issue. It's more work for everyone, but saying "1 Million words are destined to be shit" shows me, that you were never part in any writing progress. You can write pure gold with a million words, as long as everyone (the writers, the designers and the editors) are on the same level.

We should also take into account, that one million words in D:OS2 may not be the same as one million words in Numenera. Mostly, because we play more than one character and the wordcount adds up because they may use the same sentence more than once, but adress a different character.

Example: "You there human/dwarf/elf/lizard/Undead." Same sentence but every time a character is adressed differently and this counts too. Add maybe now the sex of the character and a slightly variation of the same sentence (can happen too) and you get your 1 million words and not because they writers are so much in love with their writing. Small details, yes, but they should be taken into account.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Huh, this game seems to be doing great financially even before it's released. I suppose a lot of people are hyped up.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It will still be niche tho, it will sell worse than the worse selling game in either the mass effect or dragon age series.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
So? Still a success if it pays double the units from before. DA and Mass Effect where always on a different level, also because of marketing, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom