Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Deleted member 7219

Orcs summoning balrogs. A human elf spirit hybrid is able to kill one like it's just another orc boss. Now they're just being nasty. They are determined to shit over everything they can.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tribe trailers are still cool!
love.png

Ebonsword

Arcane
So I saw an annoying gameplay thing today on a Eurogamer video from a few days ago - I guess this was revealed a month ago
rating_oldman.png
but I wasn't paying attention.

Evidently, skills have Augments that are basically Materia for people who know what that is. You "slot in" Augmentations on your skills so your Wraith Punch might have a fire effect or a poison effect or something like this. The annoying part? You can swap Materia Augments out at any time for no cost, like right in the middle of combat. So if you find an enemy who's immune to fire or enraged by poison, you can just remove that materia and slot in frost damage or whatever he's vulnerable to instead, instantly, free.

Basically it's pressing pause and using 50 stimpaks all over again.
decline.png

Did you really expect anything different after playing the first game? The first one already forced you to really watch what skills/runes you used if you wanted to have any semblance of difficulty. I was already fully expecting something similar for this one.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shadow of War officially just became "eat to win":

global_header.03023ac046d6d738ccecfe6471e4d9a0.png

THE BATTLE FOR EPIC PRIZES BEGINS 9/1

Get ready for a chance to win* a Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™ Xbox One S bundle, and more. And keep an eye out for on-pack codes that you can submit to unlock in-game gold!

Score epic prizes, save Middle-earth, and enjoy some Totino’s™along the way? That’s worth fighting for.

In the meantime, conquer your hunger with the help of Pizza Rolls™ snacks and Totino’s™ pizza.

Zombra

Patron
For anyone who still cares about the gameplay at this point, the endgame missions sound pretty damn cool. Hope this isn't .
rating_oldman.png

Eurogamer said:
Shadow of War's endgame sounds a lot beefier than Shadow of Mordor's
By Johnny Chiodini Published 14/08/2017

Middle-earth: Shadow of War has an endgame mission type called Shadow Wars.

Effectively a mini campaign, it takes place after the game's story is concluded and players have conquered all of Mordor. In the Shadow Wars, Sauron's army launches a counter assault against Talion, attacking different regions and attempting to take back those hard-won fortresses. These assaults are split into various stages, with more regions coming under attack from progressively harder enemies in each stage.

In terms of the actual gameplay, Shadow Wars basically takes the fortress assaults that form such a large part of Shadow of War and swaps the sides, asking you to hold various capture points until all the attacking warchiefs have been killed or otherwise conquered. If you succeed, the fortress will remain yours. Fail, however, and it will revert back to Sauron's control. You'll need to retake it in order to advance to the next stage and, what's more, you may need to mount a rescue mission to save the orc follower you installed in the fortress as Overlord.

Once the Shadow Wars have been concluded, players will get to see the game's true ending, which supposedly ties the events of Shadow of War directly into Lord of the Rings. Will we get to see the Fellowship of the Ring embark on their quest? Time will tell.

Either way, Shadow Wars looks fairly substantial and is clearly aimed at addressing the criticism Shadow of Mordor received for having a weak endgame. If you want to see some Shadow Wars gameplay in action, have a look at the video below.

The question now, of course, is whether the promise of a more substantial endgame is enough to draw players back in following last week's controversial microtransaction announcement. Your thoughts in the comments below, please.

This article (and video) is based on a visit to Monolith in Seattle. Warner Bros paid for flights and accommodation.

orcinator

Liturgist

deama

Prophet
I read somewhere that the devs wanted to make shadow of war from the beginning but they didn't have any good solid ideas so instead they made a techdemo (shadow of mordor) to test some stuff out and get some more capital for the sequel.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-cancer-immortalised-as-an-in-game-orc-slayer
Shadow of War developer who died of cancer immortalised as an in-game orc slayer

:salute:

"If you have the £3.99 DLC, Forthog will on occasion appear to one-hit kill whichever enemy the player character is up against. Think the Mysterious Stranger from the Fallout series."

This is the real cancer.
I thought you were making up that quote as a joke. God dammit.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
WTF
When I heard about it I thought we get some good ally that fights with us, the same as marked orcs. I thought it will cost 1-2$ max.
Instead we get retarded insta-killer friend?
I know all money goes to his family, but it still feels like stupid joke

Zombra

Patron
I find this tasteless, capitalizing $DLC on the death of an employer.
But hey.... Money > People.
I don't know, man. If he worked in a bakery, they might have made a new cake recipe and named it after him. I bet you'd think that was a lovely gesture. Would you be mad if they sold that cake? Pretty much the same thing here except instead of bakers these people are video game nerds. And it bears mentioning that Forgey himself was in on it - who are you to judge how he'd like to be remembered?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Holy fucking shit, listen to this. I knew there's something shady about it when they wanted us to pay for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom