Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #43: The Undead Revealed

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin 2; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Today's Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter update reveals the long-awaited details of the game's Undead race. Like vampires in the Elder Scrolls series, Rivellon's undead can't be seen in public without alarming people and must disguise themselves. At first, by hiding their skeletal faces and torsos, and later on by using a unique artifact called the Mask of the Shapeshifter to transform themselves. An undead character can be of any race, and is damaged by healing spells and healed by poison. The update also reveals Fane, Original Sin 2's Chris Avellone co-created undead origin character, who is unique in that he doesn't belong to one of the game's four playable races. He's the last of the Eternals, Rivellon's ancient precursor race, woken from his slumber after millennia - typical Avellonian stuff. All in all, the undead seem to be the apotheosis of Larian's focus on systemic depth, and so it's not surprising that they decided to design Original Sin 2's Collector's Edition box around them. All that and more in the update's accompanying video:

The Undead Will Rise!

The dead are finally here! You can customize your Undead in the character selection screen. You can give yours a beard, some cool jewels or even change the color of their bones. Which is cool, but also kind of weird. Just the way we like things! You can play an Undead of any race or gender your heart desires. Will you be an Undead Lizard? Undead Dwarf? Dare we say, an Undead Elf? It’s all up to you!

In addition to their good looks, the Undead have some very unique game mechanics in the world of DOS2. For example, they have the skill “Play Dead” in which they can pretend to be a corpse - a great way to get out of combat or avoid attention from patrolling guards. We can’t take all the credit for that one: the skill was inspired by community suggestions! Another racial ability they have is that they don’t need lockpicks to pick locks. They just use ye olde bones!

The Undead also heal via poison and are poisoned by healing potions. So, while your Undead can stroll through poison fog, they’re going to have a devil of a time fighting an AI smart enough to throw healing at it. (Sorry again about unleashing AI 2.0 on you guys because it is TOTALLY smart enough to do this.) You can also use the Zaikk’s Talon, a unique item found in the Hollow Marshes, to turn health potions into poison. Which is rude but hey, do what you like!

A very important thing to remember while playing an Undead is that you cannot just traipse about with your bony face free to the world. You’re a monster. A hideous, frightening monster! So cover your face. Or, consider ripping the face off of a nearby corpse to disguise yourself as someone of that race! The Mask of the Shapeshifter will allow you to take on the appearance of any mortal race you would like.

For example, you can shift to a Dwarf for better prices from a Dwarven merchant, or shift to an Elf to dine on a corpse and learn their memories with the Elven racial ability Corpse Eater. Multiple masks can be made, and they can even be used by other living characters to disguise themselves as other races, allowing them to approach situations in new ways.

Fane! I’m Gonna Live Forever!

But just who is Fane, the sixth and final Divinity: Original Sin 2 Origin character? We’ll tell you! But skip this section and scroll down to the Collector’s Edition header if you don’t want any spoilers!

As some of you may remember, famed RPG dev Chris Avellone worked with us to create this origin story as part of our Kickstarter stretch goals. Fane is a part of an ancient race that predates all of the currently living race: The Eternals. He was an eager and ambitious scholar, entombed by his elders for pursuing forbidden knowledge. Centuries passed, until one day an explorer opened Fane’s tomb… and, for his troubles, had his Source promptly devoured. Much less hungry and free to roam the land of Rivellon again, Fane has a lot to adjust to, as nothing is the way it was during his time.​

Simultaneously with the release of this update, a number of websites (Rock Paper Shotgun, PCGamesN, RPGWatch, TheSixthAxis) published their Original Sin 2 Gamescom 2017 previews. They contain this information, plus gameplay impressions. But in a few hours (21:00 CET) you'll be able to see some gameplay yourself on Larian's Twitch channel. Just two weeks left until release!

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Undead look really cool and its great that they have models for every gender and race. However, about the Origin..

Fane is a part of an ancient race that predates all of the currently living race

..did really have to further confuse the lore by introducing yet another time frame even more ancient? Like, Original Sin is in the ancient past of DD but Dragon Commander is in the even more ancient past and now Fane is from the ancientest ancient past? How can keep up with this, I have played all the Divinity games and have no clue how all of this is connected.

Will they release a lore book with the game, like the PoE companion?

Last edited:

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The "I will rip your face so I can be you" a la Game of thrones is pretty cool.

If the story is good we can be in front of a top 10 crpg of all time. There isn't a single thing that looks bad on the game from what I've seen until now.

Also, I want to see badly the codex troll.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Is there even a reason to not play undead if they get they can get the racial passives of other races?

Jinn

Arcane
Well fuck. Now I'm really tempted to do my first playthrough with the undead.

Tao

Savant
So the mask can be used by everyone or just the undead? I didnt understand.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So the mask can be used by everyone or just the undead? I didnt understand.

I don't think that ripping the face of an npc and using it like you are leatherface should work for non undead.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Whimsical parts of their universe aside, this will be the best CRPG after 2000. No scaling, attacking anyone, thieving, sneaking, great (maybe too many) build choices, best iso engine since sliced bread, unique art+soundtrack, etc. I am still not a fan of their fiction, but on objective CRPG grounds, this has to be an instant classic.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think it will be a flawed gem at the very least.
If it's success can convince more publishers that third person RPG's are not a financial deathtrap it could mean some incline in the future.

Gwendo

Augur
I won't pay 190$ for a collector's edition, buy I would gladly buy those lore and art books separately.

Divinity: Original Sin
Wow! Their Collector's Edition is soooooooo much nicer than the first Kickstarter one.... good job Larian!!

:thumbsup::mrpresident::thumbsup:

I pledged the collector's edition and I thought I would receive a very small box. I was never expecting such beauty. And it feels this game is being released as the enhanced edition already.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
what you will miss are mentioned NPCs that can spot your disguise and Origin specific tags. No idea whats the quantity of those

And the ability to heal normally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom