Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mystery of NOLF's IP Rights

imweasel

They are certainly two of the best shooters ever made, especially for storyfags and humorfags. The stories are so corny. :lol:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
NOLF1 is a lot better than 2 mechanics and movement-wise. Lithtech Jupiter feels like such a huge downgrade to Lithtech 2 that it's kinda sad, but then none of Monolith's engines have ever been good compared to its peers of their respective times. 2 has some neat """rpg elements""" but most aspects of the gameplay just feel worse, the mission/level design is worse (a lot of huge vehicle segment slogs with backtracking) and I preferred the "pick your equipment before the mission" Thief-style approach to missions from the first game overall.

Also I played both games not that long ago and NOLF2 somehow manages to have way more compatibility problems on my modern machine than 1 did, even with all the patches. For 1 all I had to do was lock my monitor to 60hz so the v-sync would run the game at 60fps rather than 120-144 (causing crashes) and the game ran basically perfectly. For NOLF2 no matter what I did the game would randomly take a huge graphical shit all over my screen as if my graphics card was melting and everything would start artifacting, eventually leading to crashing. Luckily 2 is quite short compared to 1 so I didn't have to endure that for very long outside of a couple of levels.

Both are games that are very much deserving of modern re-releases to fix these compatibility issues from a studio like NightDive (like they tried to before), it's a shame the rights holders don't give a fuck.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
NOLF is probably the greatest FPS of all time.
It sounds like an outrageous statement, but NOLF is definitely my favorite shooter out of the post Half-Life ones (I'm not counting Deus Ex or tactical shooters here), at least, and one of the few games that I find myself returning to over and over again. It has very few actual flaws, and it's rare for a game to combine really good gameplay with really good writing and a unique setting. The game's fairly long, but in my opinion there's zero filler there, with every mission being fun and memorable. It's not perfect, of course, and while killing things in the game is definitely fun and satisfying, the actual shooting mechanics could've been improved a bit: all the full automatic weapons kind of feel the same, explosives are awkward to use, and sniper rifles are largely made obsolete by super accurate silenced pistols. There's also not much need for resource management, as you'll never run out of ammo for the most useful weapons (i.e. SMGs and pistols) as long as you pick them as your starting equipment. The sequel actually improved this side of the game by making weapons more different from each other, making better use of the different ammo types, replacing explosive lipsticks with actual hand grenades, and adding in a shotgun, which the first game lacked for some reason, but of course it had a much more limited weapon arsenal and dropped the ball hard on many other areas.

They are certainly two of the best shooters ever made, especially for storyfags and humorfags. The stories are so corny. :lol:
NOLF1 had a great story, but NOLF2's story is utterly pathetic and probably the worst thing ever.

Severian Silk

It would probably cost more for everyone to hire lawyers and interns and dig through cabinets than they would get from licensing or re-releasing the games. They could also spend the same money making DLC for whatever big-budget title is available now, and make that money back pretty quickly plus more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rev

Arcane
Tried to download the games from the link in the RPS article, but it only works for NOLF2, the first one's installer doesn't work. Am I the only one to have this problem?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Tried to download the games from the link in the RPS article, but it only works for NOLF2, the first one's installer doesn't work. Am I the only one to have this problem?

IDK, but installers for both games worked for me. I used the torrent link.

Rev

Arcane
IDK, but both installers worked for me. I used the torrent link.
I tried both the Mega and the torrent link, but they didn't work. I launch it but it always crashes before installing the game.

:negative:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Are you sure?
I tried installing NOLF 1, and it looked like it crashed, since the installation just closed without warning, and no shortcuts were installed on the desktop. But the game was installed in the directory I chose and the game works.
I used the MEGA links.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...ell-no-one-lives-forever-so-lets-download-it/

No one will sell No One Lives Forever, so let’s download it
No One Lives Forever, and its sequel A Spy In HARM’s Way, are infamously unavailable. Through the meticulous horrors of ownership rights across multiple publishers, and an apparent unwillingness by any involved to see it resolved, it’s not possible to buy either classic game anywhere.

Well guess what – there’s a way to get them anyway, and we super-encourage you to do so.

We have long lamented the unavailability of the No One Lives Forever games. I was recently moaning about it, sadly remembering the peculiar disappearance of the implied Night Dive version. Shortly after I posted that, Kotaku’s Kirk Hamilton got in touch with me to point out a splendid bit of digging he’d done a couple of years back to find out what happened to all that. Which was this:

Night Dive applied for the trademark since no one else held it, and confident they’d manage to get a straight answer out of people involved, had gotten access to the source code for both games. Things were looking positive, they were even working on marketing material, until the tangled mess of ownership proved impossible to disembroil. With three contenders – 20th Century Fox, Activision and Warner Bros – Night Dive sensibly assumed it really belonged to developer Monolith’s now owners, Warner. So they got in touch. But Warner quickly said Activision owned some of it too, and wanted them involved. Right, fine said Night Dive, and went over there. Activision then told them that, well, maybe they owned it a bit, they weren’t really sure, but if they did the contract wasn’t stored digitally, and was probably lost in a box somewhere. And Fox said exactly the same. I’m really not making this up.

But then Night Dive’s trademark application was made complicated when Warner Bros, despite refusing to claim ownership of the game, applied to extend their expired trademark of the name. Sigh. Night Dive reportedly tried to understand why, made repeated attempts to negotiate, but Warner showed no interest at all in even trying to make a deal, no matter how sweet Night Dive made it.

So where did this all leave things? In a place we called Stupid. Fox seemingly wanted money up front to even look through their filing cabinets (which they’d repay if they found they had no rights), so when Night Dive said no to that generous offer, Fox responded by saying (and I paraphrase) “You can bet your bum we’ll look in our filing cabinets for free if you start selling it.” Activision just shrugged. And Warner? Well, those treats sent Night Dive a “scary letter”, threatening to throw lawyers at them if they pursued re-releasing the game, despite the concurrent negotiations they were involved in. SIGH. Night Dive eventually managed to get the two parts of Warner to actually talk to each other, and sensibly ask themselves if they wanted to work out a licensing deal, which resulted in their saying… No.

No.

As Kotaku reported Night Dive saying in 2015, “They come back with a response that said they’re not looking to either publish the game themselves at this time, or to partner with us.”

Night Dive were generous, saying people who tried to help (and not all did) were friendly about it. But you can be friendly and entirely unhelpful, it seems.

The end result being, no one knows who owns NOLF, but no one involved is willing to relinquish their potential rights for the sake of seeing a game they’ve no interest whatsoever in selling being available to buy.

What a joyous, wonderful system, eh?

But there’s an alternative! Some anonymous heroes are not only risking the wraths of all involved by distributing both games, for free, but are putting out patched versions that’ll run on your snazzy new PC, even in resolutions like 3440×1440 – I know, cos I just played it like that. And gosh, NOLF2 looks good in HD!

I discovered this via a comment on a recent post about Tron 2.0, another Monolith classic that Disney are looking after well. Huge thanks to one SimonSays.

I’ve had a few issues. NOLF is quite crashy when I press Capslock, of all things. With NOLF2 I’ve had trouble with the menus not fitting on the screen at higher resolutions. But I’ve not spent long fiddling to try to fix these issues.

RPS ordinarily doesn’t encourage downloading unofficial versions of games, but at the same time, we’re strong advocates behind the concept of abandonware, where individuals and groups preserve and maintain the availability of games that are no longer available for legitimate purchase. NOLF and its sequel are certainly much younger games than would normally qualify for that, but my goodness, all the potential owners of the game sure have gone out of their way to ensure they can’t profit from it. These games have been available for over a year, and no one’s done anything yet.

And heck, if any of the companies involved were to step forward to object, they’d rather be positioning themselves as having suddenly resolved the rights issues they claimed they could not untangle! They’d be surely ready to release their official version just in time and then we could point you to that one instead.

:negative:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wait, I'm confused. Is RPS LITERALLY HITLER now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom