Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which PC RPGs of 1998 have you played? [top 100 voting thread]

Which of the following RPGs have you played?

• Allods: The Seal of Mystery AKA Rage of Mages

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Baldur's Gate

Votes: 141 92.8%
  • Fallout 2

Votes: 141 92.8%
  • Flame Dragon Plus: Mark of the Wind

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hexplore

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • Might and Magic 6: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 78 51.3%
  • Nethergate

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Quest for Glory 5: Dragon Fire

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Return to Krondor

Votes: 49 32.2%
  • Gates of Skeldal

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Same rules as before, this time for 2007.

Notes:

While I easily recognise the big names on this list, I can't help but feel that this list is a bit short, let me know if I've missed your favourite here.

Nethergate is counted as being a different game to Nethergate: Resurrection for the purposes of these polls.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Everything except Flame Dragon Plus and Hexplore.
EDIT:
Descent to Undermountain and Dink SmallWood are 1998 games too.

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Gates of Skeldal is missing.

Thanks, added.

Magic and Mayhem was also released 1998 in Europe.

I spent a lot of time looking around at info on this and after multiple confirmations I went with the first line on the wiki page as being probably the general consensus "Magic & Mayhem, also known as Duel: The Mage Wars in North America, is a fantasy/mythology-themed real-time strategy game designed by Julian Gollop".

I read one summary which said "It's a game with a little bit everything, but nothing in that great a depth".

So it doesn't really compete as an RPG while also being primarily a strategy game, so I left it off. For this one you'll have to convince me to add it.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Fallout 2 must not fall below 95%, or we are all doomed.

fanboy.png

skycycle

Educated
I am well aware where the quote comes from, that's beyond the point IMO, but I guess it comes across as mute here. Either way, back to ''on-topic'' - Fallout 2 has fallen to 94%!

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Side-note: is Fowyr's signature really allowed in this forum, how is this not a ban/suspension?
You can help make Codex a better place for people of all races by reporting any racially insensitive language to an Administrator

Thanks you for your contribution!

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If Fowyr wants to be a racist asshole by having a signature like that then so be it. We aren't going to ban him for it or make him change it. That would be discriminatory!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Side-note: is Fowyr's signature really allowed in this forum, how is this not a ban/suspension?
The Ragnarok is here,it is at 91.9%!By the way Fowyr have really nice signature.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh, I was wrong in the firt post. Best Avellone's Game is not 1998, it's Christmas '97, but Dink Smallwood is a 1998 game fair and square.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Oh, I was wrong in the firt post. Best Avellone's Game is not 1998, it's Christmas '97, but Dink Smallwood is a 1998 game fair and square.

Yes, both those games will be in the 1997 lists as they were both released in 1997.

Leitz

Learned
Flame Dragon Plus: Mark of the Wind
Allods: The Seal of Mystery AKA Rage of Mages
...let's have a tongue twister RPG title thread instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom