Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sonic Mania - "Sega does what Bethesdon't."

Chamezero

from what I have seen the old zones are mostly redesigned so it's like complaining that Generations didn't have new levels just because it reused/remastered old assets

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
from what I have seen the old zones are mostly redesigned so it's like complaining that Generations didn't have new levels just because it reused/remastered old assets
Generations had completely new graphics, it was actually very cool to see the old concepts redone with modern full HD graphics.

But this? It's literally the same assets, lazy af.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, I'm gonna guess that leak is just the level order, with screenshots added directly from past games for reference. I'm positive the graphics were updated to fit the new palette as well as changed the level design.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
They really did delay this for Denuvo. Fuckin' always online DRM. :lol::lol::lol:

Glad I canceled my pre-order. Will buy it for 75% off.

EDIT: Steam forums are on fire, LMBO.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The delay alone caused at least 3k people to refund according to SteamSpy. Denuvo would be enough for another 7k. Either way, Sega loses sales and gains none. Everyone is frustrated, bottom feeders on the internet show support for some EPIC shitposting fueling the flames and Sega finds themselves in a PR disaster despite being rather decent publishers up until now.

:lol::lol::lol:

Sega is fuckin' retarded, that company never fuckin' learns. They went from global powerhouse console maker to barely relevant publisher and they still manage to find new ways to fuck it all up.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So let me get this straight?
Sega wasted time and money on servers and drm instead of releasing a drm free version which doesn't require any servers?
I always suspected game companies directors were idiots,but this is just sad.

Loldenuvo. Sega does what Bethesdon't, indeed. :hero:

edit: http://steamcommunity.com/games/584400/announcements/detail/1448326045461380318

In regards to DRM.

AUGUST 29 - SEGA DEV
Like you, we've noticed an error in the Steam store not mentioning the DRM for Sonic Mania.

We're fixing that now.

Sonic Mania is intended to be played offline and we're investigating reports on that.

We're also investigating other issues like controller support, these are all PC specific things that Christian and the team have been working on these last few weeks

Please bare with us while we collate and investigate problems that are being brought to our attention

:shredder:

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
And then we have this shit after the positive sales reception of the PC ports of Bayonetta and Vanquish. Some chucklefuck at SEGA saw how well those sold, saw the incredibly positive reaction to Sonic Mania on consoles, foresaw the imminent hype, and decided that delaying the port by a week in order to implement some useless DRM software (one which doesn't last a fucking day anymore before it gets cracked) so SEGA could be more confident about not losing potential sales to piracy. Not only that, but they most have foreseen the public outcry against Denuvo, and didn't even mention it was present on the store page before and at the moment of Sonic Mania's release so they could briefly keep it under wraps and sucker punch some pre-ordering suckers. At least other games with Denuvo are nice enough to tell you beforehand that they're going to stick a tube up your ass.

The Sonic cycle has the wrong perspective, it should be renamed to the SEGA cycle and detail how SEGA will invariably fuck up after they achieve some success. What faggots are responsible for this shit anyways, Sega of America or Sega of Japan? I know Sega of Europe did the PC ports and probably wouldn't have opted for Denuvo.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
>spend $100k on a state of the art always online DRM to protect your $20 semi-indie 2D platformer because reasons

In regards to DRM.

AUGUST 29 - SEGA DEV
Like you, we've noticed an error in the Steam store not mentioning the DRM for Sonic Mania.

We're fixing that now.

Sonic Mania is intended to be played offline and we're investigating reports on that.

We're also investigating other issues like controller support, these are all PC specific things that Christian and the team have been working on these last few weeks

Please bare with us while we collate and investigate problems that are being brought to our attention

:shredder:
That's not the best part. One of the actual devs (not just a Sega rep) replied to that newspost, with this:
kXsWaZg.jpg

The Mania devs are also asking everyone on Twitter to complain about the DRM so that it hopefully gets removed. The hardcore conservative Japs at the top of the food chain that wanted the DRM in the first place are gonna roast them alive, I guess. Best way to squander your fledgling career?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The delay alone caused at least 3k people to refund according to SteamSpy. Denuvo would be enough for another 7k. Either way, Sega loses sales and gains none. Everyone is frustrated, bottom feeders on the internet show support for some EPIC shitposting fueling the flames and Sega finds themselves in a PR disaster despite being rather decent publishers up until now.

:lol::lol::lol:

Sega is fuckin' retarded, that company never fuckin' learns. They went from global powerhouse console maker to barely relevant publisher and they still manage to find new ways to fuck it all up.

There may be sizable refunds, but SteamSpy cannot detect that amount of refunds. It's likely just fluctuation of data. According to SteamSpy's developer it never saw refunds big enough to be detectable, except No Man's Sky. (Moreover, Sonic Mania is just released and SteamSpy has 3-day delay.)

Just pointing out. Always online sucks yeah, intended or not.

Black

Arcane
It just wouldn't be sonic without autism greater than even RPG Codex.

wyes gull

Savant
Sonic games (particularly 1 & 2) are those rare sorts that I've re-learned to enjoy as an older fuck, having played them when they were new and subsequently grown despondent of the whole platformer genre because saturation. Actually, I just realized I tend to boomerang back to a few platformers I played as a kid (these, PoP, Headdy, Keen/Nukem, Flashback) every now and then and am a lot more appreciative of what they did/achieve. So yeah, I was actually kinda looking forward to this. "Was".

No quarter for DRM.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Sega mentions they're investigating "controller support" in the PC version. Does that mean that you can't use a controller on the PC version? :lol:
DirectInput got the short end of the stick again and because of the Denuvo DRM you can't use XInput wrappers like x360ce.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
It's all over the news already. Guess there won't be a Mania 2 now.

Denuvo DRM Causes Rift Between Sonic Mania Dev And SEGA

Sega mentions they're investigating "controller support" in the PC version. Does that mean that you can't use a controller on the PC version? :lol:
I don't even use a controller when I play Mega Drive games and other old 2D games. What advantage would a controller have?

Idk. I'm sure your preferred control method is fine. It's not always about advantages. I'm sure there are a lot of people who'd prefer to play Sonic on a gamepad instead of a keyboard for nostalgia alone. I would.

deama

Prophet
One of the big issues I had with the classic sonic games was that they were too zoomed in, I could understand it back then (limited hardware?), but now? Was hoping for an option to change the zoom ffs.

Black

Arcane
When did I post here

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom