Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Precision" in RPG's

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm not sure if this is something that I demand more from myself rather from the game, but I certainly derive more satisfaction from an RPG when things are done "correctly" and "cleanly" according to my own tastes.

What I mean is things like tidy inventory management. Precise marching orders and spacing in combat. Not to mention avoiding wherever possible unnecessary choices for skills that have little bearing or effect in the game. Note, however, that I personally detest any metagaming and prefer instead to play RPG's completely blind and allowing the chips to fall where they may, so to speak, when it comes to things like that.

I'll give a more specific example. In playing Grimoire, I've become (and would always be) obsessed with keeping Cleve's Oh-So-Lovely inventory bar neat and tidy, with no empty slots and in fact organized as best I can manage, grouping similar objects like all musical devices, etc., together. I also hate it if I make a mental error such as forgetting to choose Fight instead of casting the last spell, or not remembering to target the correct group of monsters. It irks me. This is even if the fight were a foregone conclusive victory. It still wasn't done right.

But when I do get things right, when I run my ship in a tight, military manner, I receive as much satisfaction from the way I did it as I do from the fact that I did it, period.

I'm certain I'm not alone on this. Discuss in precision.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
In playing Grimoire, I've become (and would always be) obsessed with keeping Cleve's Oh-So-Lovely inventory bar neat and tidy, with no empty slots and in fact organized as best I can manage, grouping similar objects like all musical devices, etc., together.

I do this same thing. It can get maddening if you don't keep up with it.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I have this habit to try to avoid any extra usage of potions, or whatever consumables there may be. Somehow it just feels very satisfying to see your stack grow.

Melcar

Arcane
My primary stats have to be even numbers.
I have to have at least two of every potion type in my inventory.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I have this habit to try to avoid any extra usage of potions, or whatever consumables there may be. Somehow it just feels very satisfying to see your stack grow.

You probably play easy RPGs, are poor IRL, and have a small penis.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Yeah i'm a massive fucking sperglord when it cxomes to this shit, one o me main beefs wi Witcher games were that their inventory went from pure goldust to shit in sequels. I find preparation, inventory management, strategy crafting and viable builds to be immense fun. An when they pay off i'm hard as a priest at a creche.

Course downside is that when things go messy I might just have to restart an get it right.

i'm hard as a priest at a creche.

20428.jpg

It definitely annoys me, but the genre sort of forces you to become accustomed to it. I mean.... how many cRPGs have been released without absolutely dogshit inventory UI management?

The best inventory UIs of the past 20 years that I can think of are from the IE games, Twitcher 1, and NWN1, and I would hardly call any of those UIs elegant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom