Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amulets & Armor

LesInk

Barely Literate
M. Manor, yes, many of these options would be nice for players to have. ::making notes:: Going forward, I think players would like to have more control on the different "annoyances" in the game. Hopefully things like looking down to pick up items can be improved with the move to OpenGL 3D graphics.

Acid is one of those crazy ideas that was quite controversial when it was added. In the end, it was the fear of the acid that kept it in. Even the LP comments about how it makes people cringe when meeting those wizards shooting acid.

The dropped items in the lava/water was always a curse of a problem that never got fixed. One idea (back then) was to burn up items that fell in lava. In way, I was surprised we didn't do it that way. That's the way we thought back then. Certainly disabling player item drops would avoid some of that.

Thanks. The reason look mode has issues with picking stuff up vs the normal mode is that the cursor stays in the center (in addition to limited view movement). It would work better if it could move towards the bottom or top after it reaches the view scrolling limit and move back to center once within it. I have no idea how hard that would be to implement nor how hard actually increasing the view scrolling would be. Of course, as you mentioned, you are working on OpenGL 3D graphics.

Murk

Arcane
What? No, dear god keep the item destruction and drop. And only have generic items identified -- drinking a potion and finding out it's poison or lava is awesome. Man, the best parts of the game are the quirks that sucker punch you or are just peculiar.

The potion of water is great; it's not water it's a fucking potion of water. Like, water was used to make something that is not water but has the same effect as water. That's some next level alchemy.

The status numbers not updating when you have food and water conservation rings or the amulet of eternal nourishment on should be fixed by the following. (I haven't tested it.)

Source/STATS.C function T_void StatsUpdatePlayerStatistics (T_void) needs to add
Code:
 /* update bottom status bar */
 BannerStatusBarUpdate();
sometime after you adjust the mana and health. You modify the stats directly so they won't update the bar by themselves.

You could add it to an else statement for each of the following
Code:
if (EffectPlayerEffectIsActive(PLAYER_EFFECT_ETERNAL_NOURISHMENT)==FALSE)
if (EffectPlayerEffectIsActive (PLAYER_EFFECT_FOOD_CONSERVATION)==FALSE)
if (EffectPlayerEffectIsActive (PLAYER_EFFECT_WATER_CONSERVATION)==FALSE)

Just adding the update after the health and mana regen is probably cleaner code, but the else statements might have a negligible speed improvement when both food and water don't decrease.

This might fix the water/lava walking teleport bug. Again this is untested. (I found some time to download the source so I could do searches and diffs but haven't tried building.)

Code:
 Source/PLAYER.C | 4 ++++
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+)

diff --git a/Source/PLAYER.C b/Source/PLAYER.C
index 1916323..556bfd5 100644
--- a/Source/PLAYER.C
+++ b/Source/PLAYER.C
@@ -1067,6 +1067,10 @@ T_void PlayerTeleport(T_sword16 x, T_sword16 y, T_word16 angle)
  sector = View3dFindSectorNum(x, y) ;
  if (sector != 0xFFFF)  {
+  /* Need to make sure we sink into water and lava or we keep teleporting forever */
+  ObjectClearMoveFlags(PlayerGetObject(), OBJMOVE_FLAG_DO_NOT_SINK) ;
+  ObjectDoesFlow(PlayerGetObject()) ;
+
 //printf("Player teleporting to %d %d\n", x, y) ;
  ObjectTeleport(G_playerObject, x, y) ;
  G_lastEyed = 0 ;

LesInk

Barely Literate
Thanks for the help! These look like good changes. Should be in the next release.

I just noticed an update.

12/31/2013 - A&A Classic v1.04 Release
Happy New Year!
The work on the classic version continues. This is most of the last important bugs found in the game (see below). If you find more bugs, don't hesitate to send us a report by email! We're now going to focus on the OpenGL port of the game.
  • Option added to disable dropping items when character dies.
  • Option added to change speed of mouse and keyboard turn rates from 20% to 200%.
  • Toggling between look and mouse mode no longer causes the look angle to jump.
  • Added missing music files (MUSIC6 and DANCE). Now music can play on all adventure levels.
  • Fixed a crash at the end of the first level of Elmore's Retreat.
  • Fixed leak when playing a long time that would cause music to stop playing or crash.
  • Fixed problem when teleporting to water covered area while wearing ring of water walking. It no longer constantly teleports back and forth.
  • Movement speed is now properly recalculated when strength changes from spells.
  • Health and Mana properly update when using amulets and rings fo food and water conservation/nourishment.
  • Improved diagonal strafe/sidestep calculations.
  • Players can no longer move when dead.
Download the latest from the download page.

Holy Light Bug Fix

I sent the following way to fix the holy light bug in an email to lysle at lesink dot com and didn't get a reply so I'm not sure they got this. When I emailed to moderator at amuletsandarmor dot com I did get a reply for the other bug fixes. I'll try emailing the other address.

The problem is the power of the spell is too high. ViewSetDarkSight takes sint8 so 160 turns negative. 0 is normal night vision. 127 is full brightness. -127 is pitch black.
Owl sight from the mage list is power 80 with -30 hardness. Holy light's hardness is -35. They both have the same mana cost. I'm not sure if you want it the same brightness as owl sight or higher. The hex position is 0139F906 in PICS.RES.

TL;DR hex edit PICS.RES at position 0139F906 and change A0 to 50.

ColCol

Arcane
:necro:

This game was on my mind recently. I finally got around to playing it. Very disappointed with what I am seeing. Plays like a Hexen/Heretic, but it's stronger in the rpg department and weaker in the action department.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom