Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #42: Full Voice Acting

Mustawd

Can someone who knows about programming or development care to explain what makes it so difficult to put an option to disable all voice acting dialogue?

Is it a difficult task, in and of itself? Or is it because you'd need to plan to do thst ahead of time?

Can someone who knows about programming or development care to explain what makes it so difficult to put an option to disable all voice acting dialogue?

Is it a difficult task, in and of itself? Or is it because you'd need to plan to do thst ahead of time?
Difficult for WHO? Which game are you thinking about, exactly?
Most of the games that I can think of usually have that option. Either as an explicit toggle or by simply letting you turn off the "speech" volume and activating subtitles.

Darkzone

Arcane
I don't know how Larians engine handles it, but if you care i can tell you how much it takes in UE4.
1)
Add a channel for voice acting and a slider in the options menu for this channel.
Required time: 5 minutes + give each sound file / sound cue the channel. Difficulty level: retarded. 80k sound cues could take a lot, but for a team of 20 this is manageable.
2)
The proposed here All, Important, None characters voice over. Would require 2 additional booleans or one integer in the imported csv or excel file and additional blueprint branches or a switch or edit some classes in Visual Studio.
Required time: 15 minutes + writing the booleans into the imported document for the 80k files. Difficult level: Not quite retarded.

Disclaimer:
UE4 has a few dialog options systems, so the this results may vary from case to case. For side effects speak with your house programmer.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hope people don't have any more stupid illusions of Larian being """our guy""" after this.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Edit: CyberWhale confirmed for delusional fanboy noob with no life.

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Should've just stuck to voicing key lines.
Now the custom campaign content will feel terribly out of place if you do a playthrough on a voiced vanilla game.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I've come to hate reading in games.

I don't know why but reading the text of Divinity:OS made my eyes glaze over in pain. It was the single biggest impediment to getting into what turned out to be a really great game. So maybe having some voice overs to save me the hassle of all that reading nonsense will be a good thing. Though all the recent text-em-ups I've played like Serpent in the Staglands and Numanuma may have cracked the calcification of my brain a bit.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Should've just stuck to voicing key lines.
Now the custom campaign content will feel terribly out of place if you do a playthrough on a voiced vanilla game.

I've always hated this. Especially in Oblivion, where modders decide it's a good idea to add their own voice because they aren't able to use the original voice actors. Midas magic comes to mind. I remember installing Midas and hearing "and this mod is dedicated to my beautiful wife" in the worst recorded instance of voice acting ever. I immediately closed out and uninstalled the mod. I refuse to use any sort of quest mod in these types of games because it's either shitty voices added in or no voice, in which case the character is just standing there staring at you blankly with no expression on his face (at least in the case of ES games). Although it might work better in Divinity: OS2, since it's an overhead perspective

Axie

Scholar
This is now one of the most highly budgeted isometric games of all time, second only to the likes of Diablo. (...)"

Been out-of-the-loop for quite a while, do you have a ballpark figure? Something Larian said, suggested or at least good old rumour?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Hope people don't have any more stupid illusions of Larian being """our guy""" after this.

People need to realise that RPGs can be average, not good or bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom