Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HALT!! Daggerfall Thread!

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Can't quite get what are you asking about, i'm just playing in this resolution. But if you're interested in settings - i use overlay output, 1920x1080 resolution, true aspect and normal3x scaler for most dosbox games, they are looking very nice on 1080 screen and i don't mind black borders.

Do you have to edit the conf file to set these options? I've been playing in windowed mode at it's native resolution which is something like 320x200 lol

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
If you grab Battlespire on GOG (a game I wholly recommend) the then you get Daggerfall and Arena pre-setup as a bonus.

You can get both Arena and Daggerfall for free from Bethesda's website.

I'm going to look into Battlespire though, I've heard good things.
I knew that, I just thought it was worth mentioning since we were talking about the preconfigured versions of Daggerfall. If you like Daggerfall, you ought to check out Battlespire. It's like if you took out the open world and made a coherent dungeon.

Citizen

Yes, you can change this settings in the same .conf file you use to set the cycles/machine type/etc.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Someone already mentioned DaggerfallSetup but I'll say it again: Use DaggerfallSetup. It's a prepackaged installer made by a French TES forum and it comes with all the good shit, playing the game with it is just installing and clicking the icon. After you have made a save don't forget to use EyeOfArgonia which maximizes view distance.
I made a battlemage High Elf and I just keep dying to zombies in a dungeon, I zap everyone 4 times with shock and finish them off with my staff but for the love of god I just cannot kill zombies. They have insane HP pools and can onehit me if I am unlucky, and now I can't figure out a way to get out of the dungeon. One time when I slept I was really unlucky and the game decided to fuck me in the ass by spawning a lich near me. Thanks game.
I think I'll make a marksman rogue instead.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
and now I can't figure out a way to get out of the dungeon.

This is where a Recall (Teleport) spell comes in handy. I'd recommend anyone playing the game to use Teleport. Typically you would anchor at the quest giver (or the entrance of the dungeon) and teleport out when you're lost or done with the quest. Recall falls under Mysticism so that might be something you want to look into when you make your next character.

Yes, you can change this settings in the same .conf file you use to set the cycles/machine type/etc.

I'll look into that. Thanks.

Last edited:

Citizen

Someone already mentioned DaggerfallSetup but I'll say it again: Use DaggerfallSetup. It's a prepackaged installer made by a French TES forum and it comes with all the good shit, playing the game with it is just installing and clicking the icon. After you have made a save don't forget to use EyeOfArgonia which maximizes view distance.
I made a battlemage High Elf and I just keep dying to zombies in a dungeon, I zap everyone 4 times with shock and finish them off with my staff but for the love of god I just cannot kill zombies. They have insane HP pools and can onehit me if I am unlucky, and now I can't figure out a way to get out of the dungeon. One time when I slept I was really unlucky and the game decided to fuck me in the ass by spawning a lich near me. Thanks game.

Magic/Fighter is the best class in game, you can buff the shit out of yourself. Use buffs + short swords + high SPD and you will cut through anything in game without effort. A better fighter but with mage's utility.
BTW, how do you even play a marksman? Tried few times, but it seemed to me that the bow was just useless.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

Magic/Fighter is the best class in game, you can buff the shit out of yourself. Use buffs + short swords + high SPD and you will cut through anything in game without effort. A better fighter but with mage's utility.
BTW, how do you even play a marksman? Tried few times, but it seemed to me that the bow was just useless.
Frankly, I'm not sure. I'm really not a experienced Daggerfall player. I just shoot things until they die but yeah bows are rather weak. I went with a hand to hand stealth crit dodge build and I can kick and punch most things to death pretty fast.

Okay, pro-tip time. Daggerfall is extremely twitchy. Think Doom, not Potato Scrolls. Do not skimp on your acrobatics (running, jumping, climbing.) Agility and speed are the most important stats in the game. Remap the controls. Set reflexes to VERY HIGH. With the right setup you can bound across rooftops, and do flying roundhouse kicks. If you want ez-mode, play an unarmed werewolf. Unarmed attacks are not subject to resistances. This is the Dark Messiah of its day. Kick to victory.

YCHE8z8.png

Interesting. Can you enchant +H2H skill equipment and stack indefinitely? Is there a H2H damage cap?

jungl

Augur
Its funny people bash oblivion as being the worst elder scrolls because combat wise its very similar to daggerfall. Modded Oblivion with obscuro overhaul makes oblivion downright superior. Daggerfall is superior if you want to play pretend you are in a open world when in reality everything is procedually generated shit with very few tile sets and enemy variety.

Gregz

Arcane
Okay, pro-tip time. Daggerfall is extremely twitchy. Think Doom, not Potato Scrolls. Do not skimp on your acrobatics (running, jumping, climbing.) Agility and speed are the most important stats in the game. Remap the controls. Set reflexes to VERY HIGH. With the right setup you can bound across rooftops, and do flying roundhouse kicks. If you want ez-mode, play an unarmed werewolf. Unarmed attacks are not subject to resistances. This is the Dark Messiah of its day. Kick to victory.

YCHE8z8.png

spellmaker is best gamebreaker

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I guess that jewel thief quest timed out and now everyone in Daggerfall region hates me...

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Just curious. When you go in a store they give you a message that says what the goods are like and what condition the store is in, but what difference does that make?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Just curious. When you go in a store they give you a message that says what the goods are like and what condition the store is in, but what difference does that make?
Indicates the quality of the items being sold. Lower quality stores are better to sell your loot at than higher quality stores but of course worse to purchase from.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Y
Indicates the quality of the items being sold. Lower quality stores are better to sell your loot at than higher quality stores but of course worse to purchase from.
Yeah but what does quality mean? The condition of weapons or what?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Materials, like iron/silver/ebony/etc. Some higher quality magical items too if I remember correctly.

At least that was always my impression, I could be wrong.

Citizen

Shops don't matter. Just finish enough mage's guild quests and they would enchant custom magic items for you. After that consider the game broken. It even has an item-repairing enchantment, which will repair magic items, so you could use your favourite magic weapon all the time.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Shops don't matter. Just finish enough mage's guild quests and they would enchant custom magic items for you.

When you need 100k or more for Daedra summoning you'll be wishing you sold loot at the low quality shops, believe me.

jungl

Augur
Daggerfall is broken level 1 if you main any combat skill like hand to hand or longsword. Seriously Daggerfall has no fucking appeal unless you want to play pretend you in a fake open world or roleplay you in twilight as a werewolf or vamp.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Seriously Daggerfall has no fucking appeal unless you want to play pretend you in a fake open world or roleplay you in twilight as a werewolf or vamp.

I've never wanted anything more in any RPG I've ever played in my entire life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom