Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
It's worse than you think; those trees block shots. Arrows don't go through.

Happily, though, WElves have a ton of stat boosts from fighting in forests (usually via skill tree).

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
SFO mod is almost updated, hopefully out by the end of the week.

I have this habit of starting a campaign and then dropping it. More specifically, there is something about the Dwarf and the Empire campaigns that I find so frustrating. I always find myself sandwiched between Chaos factions, Orks, and Vampire Counts. It is not that I will lose, but it drags out the campaign, especially when you factor in attrition. I just lose interest.

In contrast, Beastmen, Norsca, and VC were a breeze. I started a Chaos campaign, and there does not seem to be that much pressure (for now).

Bretonnia felt far more focused, and the Empire and Dwarves became buffer states.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I think part of it is that the Chaos factions are horde/nomad factions with no need to defend territory. You can always avoid a confrontation or avoid being sandwiched between two or more factions.

All you have to do is win battles. In contrast, Empire and Dwarves need to confederate/conquer territories. This requires leaving your safety zone, which may not be all that safe due to various factions (random beast man herds), rebellions, and corruption.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, different factions really are different in difficulty. But that is perfectly fine, IMO.
Much better than all being reskins of each other.

So far, (I only played with 4 factions yet) I found Wool Elves the easiest (seriously, strong archers, which get even more buffs on top AND can hold a line on their own very well) and Empire the hardest.
But that is also partly because of neighbors. Empire is surrounded by enemies (except the Dwarves and Bretonnia), while WE simply have no natural enemies. You can just pick a direction and conquer everything in your path while making allies in the other direction(s).
I even started fighting Chaos in the north on the other end of the map because I just have too many armies :lol:

I feel WE profit a lot from the campaign AI. They would be easy prey for any player, since you can just raid and raze those puny WE settlements with minor armies. No amber = shitty Wood Elves. Maybe they would actually be the worst MP faction due to that.
But the AI simply doesn't do that.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I am fine with the differences in difficulty, but every time I see Dwarf labeled easy it kills me (meanwhile Beastmen are considered hard lol). The difficulty ratings are so damn off.

After playing Norsca, I wish Dwarf grudges were quests in a similar manner and not beastmen deciding to walk across my backyard and me having to chase them across the map.

Last edited:

Kuattro

Augur
It's not exactly a fast game to begin with

Isn't it? :?

My memory might be playing tricks on me, since I switched pretty fast to SFO (and even then, SFO can only go so far), but I seem to remember battles being basically, well...

Benny hill episodes

this, exactly. Units running everywhere without ever getting tired, disengaging from combat like the enemy was made of sugar, and then running once more around the lines and charging somewhere else randomly, and units dissolving away in mere seconds as soon as someone blew in their direction and routing.

Battles were solved in five minutes, which didn't give a lot of time for manoeuvring or anything, not that it mattered because the enemy could slink away from the fight like they were ninjas.

Maybe EB II has spoiled me.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did we play different games?
My units almost always are in the exhausted state by around the middle of the battle and remain in that until the end. Of course, so are the enemy units so it really doesn't make much of a difference (IMO, that whole exhaustion thing could be scrapped and nobody would notice).

I would say an average battle takes me about 15 minutes. And I don't even pause much.
Then again, I'm skipping like 80% of the battles (and only fight those requiring any input), so maybe that is the difference.
If the battles would last even longer, I would probably play even less of them. I'd rather make some progress.

Disengaging is usually a fatally bad idea since you get a lot of damage and morale loss on the "way out". Which makes sense, of course. You can't just walk away from a melee :lol:
I really only do it with flying units, cavalry or big monsters. Or heroes.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My units almost always are in the exhausted state by around the middle of the battle and remain in that until the end. Of course, so are the enemy units so it really doesn't make much of a difference (IMO, that whole exhaustion thing could be scrapped and nobody would notice).

I would say an average battle takes me about 15 minutes. And I don't even pause much.
Then again, I'm skipping like 80% of the battles (and only fight those requiring any input), so maybe that is the difference.
If the battles would last even longer, I would probably play even less of them. I'd rather make some progress.

Disengaging is usually a fatally bad idea since you get a lot of damage and morale loss on the "way out". Which makes sense, of course. You can't just walk away from a melee :lol:
I really only do it with flying units, cavalry or big monsters. Or heroes.
Did they rebalance the autocalculation for combat? it used to kill all giant sized units before

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I don't know how it was before, but for me, autocalculation spreads the damage relatively well. Typical front-liners do get more damage, others less.

kris

Arcane
I feel WE profit a lot from the campaign AI. They would be easy prey for any player, since you can just raid and raze those puny WE settlements with minor armies. No amber = shitty Wood Elves. Maybe they would actually be the worst MP faction due to that.
But the AI simply doesn't do that.

The AI sure did that for me.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Early on small and monstrous units would receive the brunt of the damage and just spamming units with as many men as possible was the go-to tactic for autoresolve but yea, they managed to fix that. I still see chariot armies from time to time though and those fuckers are deadly.

Kuattro

Augur

I'm genuinely prepared to say that yes, maybe we did. Or as I said, maybe it's just me remembering it wrong. But I know the impression was bad enough that I immediately set out to find overhaul mods.

I never remember any of my units getting tired in vanilla, and that is with all of them running everywhere because I hadn't found out how to make them walk yet.

And I remember me, and especially the enemy, since I didn't need to do it that much but the AI did it continuously, disengaging infantry units pretty easily without any horrible consequence. In fact the horrible consequence was normally in letting them stay in combat for more than 30 seconds, because then they ended up routing.

Basically, it was all just a mad dash to get some units to block the enemy, a couple of units to outflank the enemy, and as much cavalry as you could muster to charge them from the rear. If you prolonged the engagement, it all just devolved into a pantomime.

To be fair, nothing we hadn't seen in past Total War games, but, in my opinion, much, much faster.

Different games for different people, maybe.

Kuattro do you have any link with change logs for the steel faith mod?

I remember looking for it and not really finding anything satisfying other than incredibly vague images.

In their Steam Workshop they have an apparently pretty in depth "Change Notes" section, but it might be a bit too much to navigate 64 pages of that.

I would make the classical recommendation, just install it and try it for a bit, see what you get from it. But as I said, don't expect it to change the game radically, because AFAIK Total War games are not that modable any more. Just some new units, a bit of stats jiggling. But at least it became playable for me.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
In Warhammer 40000, the young orks go through a rebellious phase like this . They keep their place tidy, they take great care in maintaining their weapon and they love to march in orderly ranks wearing clean ironed uniforms.
Old Orks tolerate this because they know it's just some temporary "Stoopid teenz zog"

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I forgot how arbitrary the victory ratings could be. I just got a bullshit pyrrhic victory, when I defeated Skarsnik on round 6-7 as Clan Angrund.

I beat Skarsnik with 3 of the ancestor (had one on scout), 2 dwarf warriors, 1 miner, and 6 rangers (13 total). Skarsnik had a full stack with goblins, 4 Calvary units, and the giant arachnid, plus 11 garrison units (31 total).

Pyrrhic victory my ass :argh:. How does it even calculate the victories?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Because you fought with massive army fluffy small weak goblins, just a lot of units. Every unit lost was absurd.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I think what happens is that each unit is assigned a value and then it just compares the lost values against each other.
And those values are probably totally off to begin with (maybe even just cash value) and they most certainly do not take into account some basic RPS (like... losing spearmen against cavalry or the other way around).

I started ignoring those "evaluations" completely. They are just bad.

kris

Arcane
Talking about steel faith mod. Started up a game with that playing the Bret lady. Here we come into the "dont assume you know about units in a mod" territory.

I am directly attacked by the wood elves, having twice as big army I think it will be an easy battle. that my units also have like 5 times as many men was not something I took into consideration though as I expected that to be balanced with skill. What I didn't expect was to see that small little army obliterate mine. The vanilla quite weak, but very useful wild riders just beat up two of my spearmen despite being surrounded and partly have archers shooting at them. Magic boosts didnt seem to matter; surrounding enemy units didnt help; attacking their archers with cavalry, nah. it was my most humiliating loss ever in a total war game. the elves having fought like it was a LOTR mod.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I also started a Fey Enchantress run (Steel Faith mod), and the wood elves were far more aggressive than I remember. Orion besieged my capital twice (killed him twice), but he kept coming back until I made peace with him.

As far as Bretonnia goes, I think Louen was more fun by virtue of the starting point. Once you take Marienburg, you can have nonstop battles between the orks and frequent rebellions. This feeds Louen and the doom stack.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The Enchantress should get a diplo bonus with elves, so after curbstomping a stack or two they should be willing to accept peace. What difficulty were you on? As far as I know the SFO guy recommends Hard, not VH or Legendary since the stat boosts are screwing with the balance.

kris

Arcane
i played on very hard. so you are saying the difficult made the elves demi-gods?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom