Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters
Past the early game you could always just teleport to a city and back whenever your inventory was full or you needed to repair/identify. The only thing which really annoyed me was trying to remember all of they equipment restrictions for 6-8 different classes, needing to constantly shuffle thing around. Not having vital stats on the same screen as inventory (so you could balance your AC-boosters out) was also annoying. Pretty soon you could just dupe (IIRC) platinum equipment and outfit everyone with platinum shoes/rings/cloaks/etc that were unlikely to break, then you could just ignore all loot that wasn't a gemstone or Obsidian.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Being able to teleport doesn't make it less annoying.I could throw shit at my wall,that doesn't mean that i want to.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Gotta get back into M&M1. Never played it when it first came out (tho I was tempted by the box... omg what an awesome box).
I tried playing M&M1 a few years back on a whim thinking it would be kinda lame, but was surprised to find that it was awesome. For a time I was playing it for 1-2 hours a day every day. Mapping everything out, taking notes, everything. What a game.

I eventually got an Android table and converted all my graph paper maps to Grid Cartographer. While Grid Cartographer is really an awesome program, I dunno. You would think that being able to easily correct mistakes would make it easier to map, but I found that dealing with the interface made it a bit more annoying, enough to eventually lose interest. I mean, you are never gonna get something as simple as drawing lines on graph paper with a PC or tablet-based application. And then there was having to pay to upgrade to the next major version. I understand that you can't expect to just get free updates when the guy is actively supporting his product and making major revisions over years, but on the other hand, I use specialized software for my business that costs about 1,000 USD and have not had to pay anything to upgrade to the latest version until just now (six years later) (and actually, they upgraded me to the next major version for free anyway). Of course, 1,000 USD is totally different from 20 USD, and I guess he shouldn't be supporting you for your whole life for 20 USD.

ANYWAY, M&M1 is amazing. I can only imagine how my mind would have been blown had I bought it back when it was on the shelves. I remember buying the C64 version of Ultima VI instead of M&M1 (cuz I had played Ultima Exodus on my NES and could not believe that there was an Ultima SIX on the shelf in front of me). C64 U6 is an amazing achievement, but it sucks to play, so I know I would have been much happier with M&M1.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I'm curious about something.

Who were the people the party member portraits from M&M6 are based on? Professional models? NWC developers? Said developers' family members?
wm7pviofash4.jpg

Sankari

Novice
When I was a kid the woman to the left reminded me of Lucy Lawless. Still does, actually...

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I know they said that many of the people in MM6 were NWC devs, not sure about the actual party members though.

Madawc

Educated
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Ok, all this Grimoire talk reminded me I haven't played all the MMs. I think I'll take up MM3, since I see a lot of praise for it on this thread.

Any tips for a beginner? I'm kind of a popamole blobberer - only played MM6 to MM10.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Any tips for a beginner? I'm kind of a popamole blobberer - only played MM6 to MM10.
Fight the orcs outside Fountain Head before engaging the rats and weird ooze in the city. Wizard Eye is a very useful spell. I suggest taking notes for clues and passwords. Get skills which allow moving through special terrain (climbing, swimming, orientation). Locate stats boosters in the outworld, since they are very handy. A very cheap but effective way for dealing with low-level mobs is spamming ranged attacks (as in MM6), specially when there's water between you and them, for they won't be able to cross it (when there's a mountain, IIRC you will be able to hit them without being reached only if you stand on its very square, not at the other side). Don't be afraid to explore areas with higher level enemies, there are many ways to fool them (jump, teleport, find a special terrain square to cross, etc).
The game is very user friendly except for inventory management (visiting a store to throw your crap feels like a hardcore puzzle game) and you may find the combat a bit lacking if you enjoyed M&M X, but is way faster. Enjoy it!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The pregens are good. They are also NPCs in MM7.
Every time you enter a shop, guild or training hall time passes. Score is based partly on in-game time spent.

Madawc

Educated
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Thanks for the tips!

Every time you enter a shop, guild or training hall time passes. Score is based partly on in-game time spent.

Yeah, the thing with the score and in-game time was also in the newer MMs. Does it have other more important implications? I'm not really interested in getting a perfect score, so I'd rather not bother managing it too closely. Do I risk getting aging effects if I play the game normally?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Some quests are timed so you can only do them a specific day of the year.
I think you need to go out of your way to waste time to get aging effects. A more realistic danger is aging due to radiation. When you find a place with radiation don't explore every corner of it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is really hard to become old in MM games if you know anything about this types of games.I will recommend to just run around and have fun,and if you hit a wall then try the walkthrough or ask in the forum.MM games after all are about exploring a magical world.

Ok, all this Grimoire talk reminded me I haven't played all the MMs. I think I'll take up MM3, since I see a lot of praise for it on this thread.

Just cover the normal RPG bases mostly (spells and a lockpicker). There is a point where you will want a Druid-type for a specific spell they have, but you can replicate it with an item or a hireling. Get some classes with good # of attacks (barbarians are best, and their equipment disadvantage doesn't matter by the midgame where an obsidian toothpick still has a flat +50 to damage). Hybrid casters vs. full casters only drawback IIRC is a 50% penalty to SP, which may be irrelevant depending on how much you rest or how much you abuse SP refilling.

Pay for buffs at the temple and explore outside town for a certain boost location that you will want to take advantage of constantly.

MM3-5 is just as popamole as MM6+, in a slightly different fashion.

Yeah, the thing with the score and in-game time was also in the newer MMs. Does it have other more important implications? I'm not really interested in getting a perfect score, so I'd rather not bother managing it too closely. Do I risk getting aging effects if I play the game normally?

Even if you get into the hundreds of years (some hirelings start close), the only problem you'll face is some endurance/might/etc penalties IIRC (with mental bonuses in exchange). You'll only actually die if your endurance goes below 0, but by that point your stats are probably 70+, and even if you suffer penalties the game operates on breakpoints so you'll probably lose only 1 HP/level or 1 point of damage and possibly nothing at all.

There are a few instances in which your characters can be unnaturally aged, but even still you'd have to intentionally go out of your way to have a single character struck constantly by these sources, and unnatural aging is eventually reversible.

Last edited:

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I always rerolled my characters in MM3 but the starting party composition is fine, except I would put a druid/ranger in so that you can cast the "walk on water" spell. It comes in handy.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Natural aging - after just completing about 90% of the game and playing leisurely, just 3 years passed.

Early game: the above advice to seek the goblin and orc camps outside instead of going down to the city dungeon is great, bit before you do, don't forget to get all the bonuses you can. Get to the city temple for a blessing if you can afford it, and don't worry if your donation doesn't get you buffed because the more times you donate, the stronger the buff will be (from +1 to +10 I think). If you get a +3 or more, you'll crush the goblins and orcs.

Bows: get them when there is a chance, make sure over the first levels everyone that can use a bow gets one. The shops restock after some time and a few of their items, typically last ones listed, are semi-random, so you can get more bows after you buy the first one.

Other than that: best M&M for me, although I still haven't played seriously 1&2. Xeen is maybe more interesting but too easy to keep me interested. 6 was great but I don't find exploration so rewarding.

Early game: the above advice to seek the goblin and orc camps outside instead of going down to the city dungeon is great, bit before you do, don't forget to get all the bonuses you can. Get to the city temple for a blessing if you can afford it, and don't worry if your donation doesn't get you buffed because the more times you donate, the stronger the buff will be (from +1 to +10 I think). If you get a +3 or more, you'll crush the goblins and orcs.

It's based on the day of the game, final digit. e.g. day 1 or 11 donate once for +1, day 7 or 17 donate 7 times for +7. 0 of course gives your +10.

Mightmagic

Augur

It's not necessary. M&M 3 is an easy game and maybe the easiest game of the series. Only riddles can be difficult.

for the first time, use the starting party because it's a great party and game is not difficult with this party.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Interesting article, but I think he overestimates JVC's and NWC's foresight a bit.
World of Xeen and HoMM 1 use the same character names, for example, but it's just recycling of names, not continuity. I think only the MM6 -> HoMM 3 -> MM7 story line was really planned in advance.
I would have posted about it on his blog, but it's become such a hassle to post there.

Is this GOG a safe website?

No, there are no moderators to make it a safe space for you.

Alas, this is no longer true.
You will now get your messages removed, sometimes for arbitrary reasons, just like 99% of other web forums. And no more discussing politics, it seems.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Some mild entertainment from the Might and Magic 2 manual:

The Target dish is the disk you want to copy on to.

product_thumb.php

The final step in creating a character is to name him/her. It is a good idea to assign different names to each character, to avoid possible confusion during game play.

Press the Space gar to toggle between Characters and hirelings.

hqdefault.jpg

Caution: Abuse of Hirelings i.e. always placing them in the first position, removing their items and not replacing them with comparable items, etc.) may lead to a disgruntled hireling, consequently increasing their cost per day.

:lol:

you display the profile of any character on the dish.

il_340x270.1323014295_as0w.jpg

SEARCH S rinds treasure or other items hidden in square occupied by party.

9b32da6313722b1b50ea227a781a3276.jpg

Prompts ash for spell level and number, and other information if needed.

presence-dark-tumblr-ldyleyqeqzup-451379.2.jpg

Party members who are dead, eradicated or turned to stoke do not receive experience points.

article-0-0DAB65F700000578-354_468x286.jpg
_93901624_stokeontrenttakenfrombtbuildinghanleyaugust2015-6.jpg

Special skills: Pick lochs, find traps, backstab.

2a59b0499b7951ae25080caf4a9890c7--alba-scotland.jpg

A ninja's first attach, if possible, will automatically attempt to be an assassination.

Wai_Lin_Tomorrow_Never_Dies.jpg

Although racial resistances are never noted during the game, they may be important in overcoming the effects of various forms of magical attach.

There's an innuendo here somewhere...

Spell Level: ......1 2 5 4 5 6 7 8 9
Level of Caster: 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 17

Level 5 looks nicely OP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom