Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Biggus

Scholar
The UI is cretainly cumbersome at first but once you figure out a few right clicks its perfectly usable except for the shitty shitty party inventory.

I don't know what's so difficult to figure out about the UI, other than the right clicks for actions and maybe how to access inventory vs character screen. What's so shitty about the inventory itself?

The UI is a whole different ballgame for people who have the upper body strength of 8 year old girls. A couple clicks here, a couple mouse movements there and they are exhausted, heaving their sunken chests and sallow skinned vulture frames in a heap, puffing and out of breath, desperate for any relief from this grueling hardship. They've barely got enough strength to play spacebar and infinite runner games as it is, Grimoire is way out of the league. Their poisoned, unhealthy bodies cannot cope with anything more difficult than clicking giant red buttons in the middle of the screen reading "WIN." Their fragile psyches can't handle any game unless it is scaled such that even retards like themselves could win at it.

Grimoire is a Darwinian arena and we mostly hear from the narrow hipped popamole scarecrow bone rack millennial kids who end up discarded by the incline super train, lying softly alongside the tracks after they have been bum-hurled over the side to their slow and painful deaths rasping in the high oxygen atmosphere left behind by the mighty locomotive of win and excellence.

And this explains why it took a quarter of a century to add two buttons to the abomination you call an inventory. I see. lol
Fast scrolling, now there's a radical idea. Must need an IQ of 184 to come up with such esoteria. FFS
:)

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
The UI is cretainly cumbersome at first but once you figure out a few right clicks its perfectly usable except for the shitty shitty party inventory.

I don't know what's so difficult to figure out about the UI, other than the right clicks for actions and maybe how to access inventory vs character screen. What's so shitty about the inventory itself?

The UI is a whole different ballgame for people who have the upper body strength of 8 year old girls. A couple clicks here, a couple mouse movements there and they are exhausted, heaving their sunken chests and sallow skinned vulture frames in a heap, puffing and out of breath, desperate for any relief from this grueling hardship. They've barely got enough strength to play spacebar and infinite runner games as it is, Grimoire is way out of the league. Their poisoned, unhealthy bodies cannot cope with anything more difficult than clicking giant red buttons in the middle of the screen reading "WIN." Their fragile psyches can't handle any game unless it is scaled such that even retards like themselves could win at it.

Grimoire is a Darwinian arena and we mostly hear from the narrow hipped popamole scarecrow bone rack millennial kids who end up discarded by the incline super train, lying softly alongside the tracks after they have been bum-hurled over the side to their slow and painful deaths rasping in the high oxygen atmosphere left behind by the mighty locomotive of win and excellence.

And this explains why it took a quarter of a century to add two buttons to the abomination you call an inventory. I see. lol
Fast scrolling, now there's a radical idea. Must need an IQ of 184 to come up with such esoteria. FFS

It's hard try but always falls flat. Your attempt to sound sophisticated in these matters only makes you sound exponentially gayer with each post. Your presence is unwanted and your feedback is worse than useless. I don't use an alias because it is effeminate. I can see that doesn't seem to bother you. Keep hiding behind that saffron veil and making coy eyes at me.

mwnn85

Savant
I'd like a few changes. The UI doesn't seem any worse than any other Dungeon Crawler.

Cleve doesn't miss much so he's probably seen this already.

> The ability to see ASSAY items in the shop purchasing screen.

So I can view the damage, armor rating, etc. Maybe a small window could be added to the screen which shows an items stats when clicked on. Also there's no charge for identifying items. The shopkeeper items should all come identified by default.

> Remove the Special attack option for races that don't have a special attack.

> Right mouse could possibly be a QUICK ASSAY button when clicking on items in the inventory bar/equip screen.

It would use whichever character is currently selected for skill level. The RMB isn't really used much (apart from the character pop-up menus)

> I'd improve information given on the character generation screen.

I'd have the game blackout character classes that aren't possible for a race even with 32 bonus points. Stop people rolling for impossible combinations.

This is different from not having the button selectable.

> Let us combine and stack food, potions, etc up to XX per inventory slot.

> Either have ranged weapons (bows, etc) not require ammunition (popamole?) or greatly increase the supply of it.

Last edited:

Zenyrrah

Augur
Patron
lol, it's like some weird Blakemoreesque dream.

"The GUI is fine", then later in the same sentence, "but it could be improved, if you fixed... hotkeys, inventory, properites, larger screen, contextual menus, tooltips, RMB..."

Which is it guys, ok, or shit? Can't be both.

The only way to improve it is to knock it down and start again.
If you need evidence of that, look at the 'fix' (which I admit is an improvement, but not a solution) to the inventory. Add two arrows, lose two slots. Yup, design awards for sure for that piece of genius :)

Anyway, I think the GUI is least of the problems at the moment. Making the game match the manual, or is it making the manual match the game, is probably the biggest hurdle for now.

"now, let's see, FEL, that does... consults notes, consults code, ah yes, DEV influences the... umm, no wait, it er. hmmm"

For me, being an exception I guess the UI is not just fine it is good, been a long time I enjoyed an UI this intuitive. It is a relief for me.

The UI of The Fall of the Dungoen Guardians, a game I just played a bit to check it out is indeed for this type of game a good one, a bit slow but okay, it is at least way better then that ugly thing from the Grimrocks.

Back to Grimoire, it is obvious this UI has evolved from the previous Wizardries, not from other background. Funny recurring thought I have is how nice it would be when the Wizardries would be remade with this Grimoire framework as it is now, would be perfect for me. Note: perfect for me, most likely not for all :) Hope so there will be an editor later on when Cleve has the time.

Zenyrrah

Augur
Patron

It is obvious you're not even close to this mark.

Biggus

Scholar

It's hard try but always falls flat. Your attempt to sound sophisticated in these matters only makes you sound exponentially gayer with each post. Your presence is unwanted and your feedback is worse than useless. I don't use an alias because it is effeminate. I can see that doesn't seem to bother you. Keep hiding behind that saffron veil and making coy eyes at me.

A good GUI does not make a bad game into a good one, but a bad GUI can turn a good one into a bad one.

Wake the fuck up Blakemore, I told you last century it was a shit GUI, it was then, and it still is now, despite your Dunning Krugerism and the lap dogs that bleat about how it is ok.

And how is that manual coming along by the way? :P

Less codex, more manual please.

mwnn85

Savant
Not much point in waiting for a "proper" manual whilst some of the game mechanics/features are up in the air.

It's not as if he can send it off for printing to fulfil the Indiegogo pledges.

A quick reference card possibly or a WIP manual - already have most of that information available now through STEAM guides.

Even the Wizardry manuals don't break down the exact formulas for game mechanics.

If the next update changes all the class requirements the tables would all need rewriting.

With GRIMOIRE you're in it for the long haul.

Biggus

Scholar
Solid UI. Very solid. :P

cjOUzVJ.png

Biggus

Scholar
Not much point in waiting for a "proper" manual whilst some of the game mechanics/features are up in the air.

It's not as if he can send it off for printing to fulfil the Indiegogo pledges.

A quick reference card possibly or a WIP manual - already have most of that information available now through STEAM guides.

Even the Wizardry manuals don't break down the exact formulas for game mechanics.

If the next update changes all the class requirements the tables would all need rewriting.

With GRIMOIRE you're in it for the long haul.

Well, when I ask for the manual, what I am really asking for I guess is 'make the game match the old manual, or make the old game match the new manual', either will do. It isn't so much the manual per se I want, it is just an explanation of what doesn't work, what partially works, and what does work. You wouldn't think that would too much of an ask, especially now that we have cleared up the GUI issue apparently.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Yooka-Laylee reviews were split between two camps - those who wanted a faithful recreation of 90s platformers (warts and all), and those who wanted an updated modernised adaption. Judging it by either criteria made sense to me, but Grimoire isn't merely modelled after a 90s game. It IS a 90s game. How do you review an artefact? It's like what if a previously undiscovered 1920s movie was tidied up and released in cinemas today, only for the movie reviewers to snipe it with disparaging remarks about outdated cinematography and sound design? My initial reaction is that those reviewers would look like goddamn fools.
We're experiencing a p big retro craze wave at the moment, not in small part due to many indie developers using low-res/low-poly graphics to save money. How is Cleve's game any different from that?
The former is calculated. The intention behind those games is to invoke a sense of nostalgia for a bygone era, whereas Grimoire is actually part of that bygone era (or at least the foundation of the game), so how can it be judged in the same context?

Ultimately, a game is just a game. I could take my cock out, use a sharpie to draw a face on it, put some funny hat on, and it will be a game. Even an RPG if I so desire. And somebody could even write a review of my penis's performance. Everything could and should be judged, maybe it's time to stop handling Grimoire with kids gloves.
This comparison is too specific and bizarre to be hypothetical.

Last edited:

Ranarama

Learned
Yooka-Laylee reviews were split between two camps - those who wanted a faithful recreation of 90s platformers (warts and all), and those who wanted an updated modernised adaption. Judging it by either criteria made sense to me, but Grimoire isn't merely modelled after a 90s game. It IS a 90s game. How do you review an artefact? It's like what if a previously undiscovered 1920s movie was tidied up and released in cinemas today, only for the movie reviewers to snipe it with disparaging remarks about outdated cinematography and sound design? My initial reaction is that those reviewers would look like goddamn fools.

This comparison only works because movie prices are uniform across the board. Right now games from the 90s are $5 each from GoG, if not free from other sources. Any review of them worth reading would be accompanied with large bold warnings of what people are in for.

Also, there are movies from 1920s that hold up, just as there are 90s games that don't have many warts and are extremely playable. Do you really think Grimoire fits in to that category?

As for the idiocentic UI, that's a bad UI. UIs are built upon convention, and to ignore and subvert convention and insist users learn, is to have a bad, hostile UI.

Gary Indiana

Cipher
You really are the greatest loser in human history, Phil. God has stopped to reconsider human biology after he has seen how far it can go astray in something like you. If the Australian government had not been giving you pity jobs for the last thirty years you'd be dead in an alleyway of starvation a long time ago. Anybody ever wonders why these people got deported from Britain, look at Phil Moore. Not wanted in anybody's living space anywhere. Your genetics amount to a blast of chromosomal skidmarks in a pair of sodden underwear stuck to a wall. You should be thankful the British had mercy, earlier cultures stick people like you out on ice floes.

Phil? Don't think so old bean.

I had the misfortune of taking one of your film editing workshops in 2009. I clearly remember two things:

- You obviously didn't have a clue what you were talking about.
- You used the expression "old bean" more than a few times.
Phil Moore confirmed. Did you have any input to the GUI on Stones of Arnhem, or did you leave that on Cleve's plate as well? How are book sales doing on Return of the Prophet? Is Volume 2 coming out any time soon?

Biggus

Scholar
You really are the greatest loser in human history, Phil. God has stopped to reconsider human biology after he has seen how far it can go astray in something like you. If the Australian government had not been giving you pity jobs for the last thirty years you'd be dead in an alleyway of starvation a long time ago. Anybody ever wonders why these people got deported from Britain, look at Phil Moore. Not wanted in anybody's living space anywhere. Your genetics amount to a blast of chromosomal skidmarks in a pair of sodden underwear stuck to a wall. You should be thankful the British had mercy, earlier cultures stick people like you out on ice floes.

Phil? Don't think so old bean.

I had the misfortune of taking one of your film editing workshops in 2009. I clearly remember two things:

- You obviously didn't have a clue what you were talking about.
- You used the expression "old bean" more than a few times.
Phil Moore confirmed. Did you have any input to the GUI on Stones of Arnhem, or did you leave that on Cleve's plate as well? How are book sales doing on Return of the Prophet? Is Volume 2 coming out any time soon?

Phil Moore eh? Let's see, last time I was some other guy on Steam, then before that I pirated it, umm, so what else you guys gunna come up with next?
2009 eh? Honestly, you assclowns get sillier by the minute. Get back on the Grimoire fanboy train. I don't even know who Phil Moore is, but if Cleve dislikes him, he is probably an ok guy. FFS get a grip willya. If I'm Phil Moore, Cleve Blakemore is a master codemeister!

lol, you 'clearly remember' something that never happened (well, not with me at least), yup, that fits. Lemme see, 2009, 2009, yeah, I was at the beach in summer, and at the snow in the winter, and playing games the rest of the time. The closest I ever got to film editing was playing with Sony Vegas once.

This just gets sillier the further it goes. The more your pet game gets criticised, even when the criticism is contructive, the more the critic is vilified.

Oh, don't say old bean anyone, lest you be mistaken for Phil Moore.

Nixheb

Arcane
I fucking love this game.
Fighting psyclops for 5minutes, getting 300xp.
Getting rammed 12 times by a minotaur, isntakill him at first strike, getting 4000xp.

I didn't had so much WTf and fun moments for .... hell... years ! Cleve is a genius !

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I fucking love this game.
Fighting psyclops for 5minutes, getting 300xp.
Getting rammed 12 times by a minotaur, isntakill him at first strike, getting 4000xp.

I didn't had so much WTf and fun moments for .... hell... years ! Cleve is a genius !

Sounds like someone wants his Fanboy tag back.

Nixheb

Arcane
You will not see me defending the indefendables with bad faith, like all fanboys do. So no, I'm not a fanboy and I don't wan't such a tag.
"Repressed homosexual", "Frenchy fuck", "El mariachi" of even "developper" will suits me better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom