Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
so, are there like any mods worth using for this game? i'm literally just starting, like, i'm fucking picking flowers for that woman. been spending majority of my initial hour(s) configuring (for the very first time ever) "down sampled" resolutions for this game, as i've never before had enough e-peen in my PC to do such crazy stuff.

i got it running silky smooth @ like 4 million K uber-sampled down under resolution, and shit, it looks fucking amazing. now that i did that, i'm ready to dive in.

but i thought i might as well ask here if there are any mods, small or big, for the game. like extra pawn commands, etc, you know... shit like that.

Grimlorn

Arcane
move on towards the finale
Now I'm confused again. "Move on" where? My only mission (aside from "kill 80 rabbits") is to collect wakestones, which I guess drop totally at random throughout the world. Wander around pressing X? The obvious new place is Everfall, but it's full of bullshit fights I can't do. I finally figured out how to get out of there and then lost interest in the game because "... Now what?" Where do I go to approach the finale yet not have bullshit fights I'm underleveled/geared for?
There's a NPC in Everfall that gives you a quest to acquire 20 wakestones. But really you get a ton of wakestones in BBI as well as better gear. I know you're only level 50. I was about 70 and didn't have endgame loot as I put off doing the dragon until I beat BBI but I was able to eventually do well there. I was also an Assassin. Not sure how well a fighter will fare. But Assassin is better all around melee class than Fighter and Warrior imo. Not to mention you get Dire Gouge and Hundred Kisses. It might be too difficult to beat final boss in BBI.

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
so, are there like any mods worth using for this game? i'm literally just starting, like, i'm fucking picking flowers for that woman. been spending majority of my initial hour(s) configuring (for the very first time ever) "down sampled" resolutions for this game, as i've never before had enough e-peen in my PC to do such crazy stuff.

i got it running silky smooth @ like 4 million K uber-sampled down under resolution, and shit, it looks fucking amazing. now that i did that, i'm ready to dive in.

but i thought i might as well ask here if there are any mods, small or big, for the game. like extra pawn commands, etc, you know... shit like that.
If you want to be able to run without stamina consumption there is a mod for that. You still use stamina in combat. If you plan to play as a Magick Archer you'll want a mod that balances the stats so you gain more Magic per level. For some reason they have bad stat gains that aren't balanced well.

Inclinations can be difficult to control so there is a mod where you can edit their inclinations and keep them where you want. Otherwise it will be a pain in the ass for the most part. Even using the potions that change it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
don't know what inclinations are. I do want to use bows, but currently can only equip sword and shields.

i'll leeave the magick potential vanilla for now, however i will be googling for that no-staming-running mod. it's only common sense, after all. as long as combat/actions consume stamina there is no real-world reason to force the player to not be able to sprint across the game world.

fuck that kind of hollow realism.

reminds me of FNV's (one of its) very few built-in design falws; making the player walk slower when encumbered.

that shit is unbelievably annoying and it fails to accomplish its intent of handicapping the player's combat abilities when encumbered while simultaenously accomplishing the task of making being encumbered horribly annoying if you can't fast travel to where you need to go and you need to carry what you're currently holding.

encumbarance mod (that i made) should simply halve all of the players attributes and leave it at that, clean, simple, efficient, and leave player speed completely untouched.

is there no way to outfit/equip your pawns the same way you do your player char?

mogwaimon

Magister
The main reason he mentioned the Magick Archer mod is because the vanilla game gives you stats based on your class. I swear I've typed it out a few pages ago, some of the specifics...but the game is designed in a way that if you want to min/max stats you often have to play as classes you don't care for to arrive at your final level 200 class. Problem with that is by the time you hit 200 you've pretty much done everything in the game anyways, and for the most part that sort of min/maxing isn't necessary anyways.

You can only equip your own custom pawn in any way that you wish. Pawns you acquire from other players or the pre-mades that wander around if you're offline can't be altered.

Inclinations are basically A.I. modifiers for the pawns. The way you act in battle will influence them to act in certain ways, but I wouldn't put too much stock into it until you're mid-level at least. You can freely alter inclinations with potions from a vendor, so once you figure out what your pawn's role will be you can manipulate it as such. However it does change over time so you'll have to get the potions and re-do the inclinations every so often. You'll only have to worry about this with your own pawn, though, the hired pawns stay the same until you've let them go.

EDIT: This http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:JosephTomega/1_to_200_Level_up_status will tell you what stats are affected per level for each class. 1-10 is pretty fixed because you can only use the base three classes from level 1-10, but it really opens up once you get to the main town. If you opt to plan out a build, keep in mind that for your pawn they will be unable to access the three Hybrid Vocations: Mystic Knight, Magick Archer, and Assassin.

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
If you're a fighter and want to use a bow. Go Assassin. With Assassin you can use sword and board or daggers and bow. But you can also just swap out a bow for a shield while keeping sword equipped. Assassin also get the best physical attack increase per level in the game. Have fun.

mogwaimon

Magister
Yea, five years later and Dogma is still one of Capcom's few games where they seem to be completely immune to their normal sequelitis. Shame.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
don't know what inclinations are.
Pawn inclinations affect the behavior of the pawn AIs, and it's important to choose appropriate inclinations for your Main Pawn as well as avoiding Support Pawns with inclinations that will render them less useful in battle.

I do want to use bows, but currently can only equip sword and shields.
If you wanted to play as an archer, you should have started as a strider (bow & dagger class). You can change classes as soon as you reach Gran Soren (the innkeeper) or begin the Bitterblack Isle expansion.

is there no way to outfit/equip your pawns the same way you do your player char?
For your Main Pawn, you should have full control over equipment. For Support Pawns, you can have them equip new weapons, armor, or clothing but in this case your access to whatever you had them equip is lost to you permanently.

Also, I always recommend that people avoid looking up information about available quests during their first playthrough, but if you find that you can't resist it, start with the wiki's information on Stage 1 and proceed from there to minimize spoilers.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
To anyone still following along the Saga of Zombra, level 49. Best equipment $ can buy, or whatever I have found doing the MQ (Full Chimeric Armor, Dragon's Dogma and Dragon's Aegis). (Sold off all the OP Dark Arisen gear at the beginning of the game.) All gear upgraded as much as I could with whatever ingredients I naturally found (i.e. no "3x Jesus Skull") for both myself and main pawn. Party: Fighter L49, Sorcerer L49, Mage L116, Strider L∞. General tactics: defensive, block a lot, steadily kill stuff with Downcrack and Legion's Bite, Blitz Strike to save pawns from attackers, Shield Drum for aggro. Pawns conditioned to Utilitarian behavior.

Again, maybe I'm playing like rubbish, but ... it worked for 45 hours, up to and including killing the dragon.
What exact enemies are you having difficulty with? Aside from the Archydra or Ur-Dragon, you shouldn't be having a problem with anything given your severely overpowered support pawns. Also, note that you missed out on good augments due to restricting yourself to the fighter class, and that the post-game offers a relatively quick way to increase the rank of a new class by fighting the endless stream of
palace guards, in the Noble District of Gran Soren.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you're a fighter and want to use a bow. Go Assassin. With Assassin you can use sword and board or daggers and bow. But you can also just swap out a bow for a shield while keeping sword equipped. Assassin also get the best physical attack increase per level in the game. Have fun.

Yeah, Assassin 's good. Also one of the easier characters to cheese the most challenging bosses due to the Bow Flurries with Exploding Arrows.
Personally I liked Warrior the most in the base game. Sure, he's kinda slow... but you really feel the impact of his blows... even regular attacks knockback/down enemies.
Fighter is.. durable but kinda boring. I mean he has one really good exclusive move, Dragon's Maw, that costs a ton of Stamina to use.

Admittedly for later post-game BBI I mostly switched to Assassin... Warrior's slowness kinda became a problem when several elite enemies kept pouncing and juggling you from several directions. Didn't actually use the bow much... but double-upgraded Powder Charge is pretty awesome. Particularly vs fire weak enemies, like the undead cursed dragons.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What exact enemies are you having difficulty with?
I remember one fight in particular that was like two chimerae and three flying liches. The chimerae tanked my pawns while the liches just flew to the ceiling and killed them over and over. As a Fighter all I could do was scream into my microphone "Kill the liches first, you idiots!" but somehow they did not listen. After I gave up on that bullshit I flew around in Everfall and found more stuff that seemed ridiculous but I don't remember specifics. Ultimately I was "get me the fuck out of here" and somehow found my way back to earth.

Also, note that you missed out on good augments due to restricting yourself to the fighter class, and that the post-game offers a relatively quick way to increase the rank of a new class
Yeah, I feel like after 45 hours of success as a Fighter, I should be able to finish the game as a Fighter. Not interested in learning the game all over again. But I appreciate the thought. As for augments, I get that is a thing but I hate metagaming; i.e. having to look up a walkthrough to take x levels in y class and x levels in z class so I can one day become Football Helmet Clown Shoes Robot. Fighter augments have been perfectly viable up to now.

Perkel

Arcane
Yea, five years later and Dogma is still one of Capcom's few games where they seem to be completely immune to their normal sequelitis. Shame.

Not true. They released sequel. Dragon's Dogma online:

But yeah not only "online" (but seems like nothing was lost from transition aside from pawns) but also they didn't even care to localize.

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

BUT !

Imo recent rerelease on PC and PS4/Xbox means they will probably want to do something with IP. Remember that sales failed from their initial projection but with PS4 and PC rerelease they hit that sales target and moved past it.

IMO they had DEEP DOWN a while back ago (with their new engine) which looked really fucking close to DD (but obviously was more like Dark Souls mechanically) but it soon completely vanished.

DD director said a while ago that he works on new game which he is excited about but can't yet tell about it anything.

If you sum those two up it looks like Dragon's Dogma 2 does actually have huge chance now to exist and in fact it seems like Capcom repurposed Deep Down into Dragon's Dogma 2 adding DD director to it a when Deep Down vanished.

Hopefully we get DD2. :bounce:

And this was Deep Down:

techdemo:

Actual gameplay:

mogwaimon

Magister
Dragon's Dogma Online doesn't count because it also sucked by the reports I've heard on the game, few that they were. Plus, yea, no English release/no chance of a fan translation/have to use ping-killing proxy/VPN makes it just as much of a non-entity as Monster Hunter Frontier has been in my book.

Deep Down looks aight though. If they got the DD director on it I guess it might be worth a look whether it comes out as Deep Down or Dragon's Dogma 2.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I remember one fight in particular that was like two chimerae and three flying liches. The chimerae tanked my pawns while the liches just flew to the ceiling and killed them over and over. As a Fighter all I could do was scream into my microphone "Kill the liches first, you idiots!" but somehow they did not listen. After I gave up on that bullshit I flew around in Everfall and found more stuff that seemed ridiculous but I don't remember specifics. Ultimately I was "get me the fuck out of here" and somehow found my way back to earth.
Yes, I'd forgotten that one room in the Chamber of Fate has a chance of containing a gorechimera, chimera, lich, and a pack of hellhounds. :lol: That's one of the harder fights. Still, by my count, out of 15 chambers in the Everfall, 12 of them don't contain anything terribly difficult. Which is to say, run away from the Archydra, the Ur-Dragon, or the aforementioned fight in the Chamber of Fate (that room can also contain a drake accompanied by harpy-type enemies, an encounter you should be able to handle).

Yeah, I feel like after 45 hours of success as a Fighter, I should be able to finish the game as a Fighter. Not interested in learning the game all over again. But I appreciate the thought. As for augments, I get that is a thing but I hate metagaming; i.e. having to look up a walkthrough to take x levels in y class and x levels in z class so I can one day become Football Helmet Clown Shoes Robot. Fighter augments have been perfectly viable up to now.
It's possible to complete the game as a fighter, but you missed out on warrior augments that would be helpful even if you then switched back to being a fighter, e.g. two augments that boost damage.

Anyway, your high-level support pawns should be able to tear through most of these enemies on their own, so the question now is how are they operating in practice. What spells does that mage pawn have? What spells are you having your sorcerer main pawn use? What augments are they using? Why isn't the level∞ strider killing everything by himself?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Only reason I can think of the strider not single handedly killing everything is if it's a rusty weapon pawn, for some reason.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Only reason I can think of the strider not single handedly killing everything is if it's a rusty weapon pawn, for some reason.

Assuming Zombra is using my strider (a few people were using it while I was playing this), it was a BBI geared strider. I don't recall much else about it right now. I think it was a scather/mitigator or something like that.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well ... I did take a look at pawn skills and found something disconcerting ...

NYYDZjg.jpg

Yo lady, you are allowed to use more than 2 skills ... what's up, mediocrepoet?

TrumpYoureFired.png
You're Fired! x 1

mediocrepoet

Patron
Well ... I did take a look at pawn skills and found something disconcerting ...

Yo lady, you are allowed to use more than 2 skills ...

TrumpYoureFired.png
You're Fired! x 1

Weird, I don't recall if I did that intentionally so that she would only use those or if there's something else going on. I guess I'll have to boot it up and check when I have time.

Delterius

Arcane
There is some value in foregoing one weapon skillset, though. If you want that Strider to climb monsters constantly (and distract them), you can always not equip a bow at all. Its what I did as a Sorcerer.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Zombra I think I figured it out. I *think* it's because I'm in some new game + cycle since I started doing speed runs and stuff at one point, trying to 100% the game. My pawn has the maxed versions of the basic skills and I need to do the run to Gran Soren to be able to swap them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom