Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

mogwaimon

Magister
Also worth noting is that DD rewards consistent leveling.

Meaning that if you play whole game as warrior and only warrior your attack damage will be a lot better than someone who mix stuff.

If I recall correctly the stat boosts are applied on levelup so you can technically play as whatever you want so long as you level as the class you want the stat boosts from...which is rather infeasible but min/maxers go to insane lengths as it is. Also I believe assassin actually gets the highest attack boost with +3 per level, but they don't get any other stats as a result. Same with Sorcerer, you get the highest magic attack from them but if you level exclusively as Sorcerer from level 10 onwards you'll have terrible stamina but your spells will be insanely strong.

Personally, I prefer playing as Mystic Knight, though it does benefit from a few levels of Sorcerer for the magic boost. I haven't done Bitterblack yet on the PC version but back in vanilla X360 version before Dark Arisen you could put out some sick damage using MK's Cannon attacks and a decent magic stat.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also you can't climb your pawns unless you're unarmed and both of you are midair. Ideally get your mage to float from a high tower, then grab on and tell them to go wherever.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Er, no?
I hardly had to chug anything. Maybe chew few mushroom through the game but that's it. Potions are heavy anyway, gonna keep the Light status.

Hyperion

Arcane
If you're climbing enemies to do damage outside of removing some Dragons from the air as melee, you're doing it wrong. Very, very wrong.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
cool story bro but the game expects warriors to facetank everything. Not having a healbot just makes it tedious.

Then again tedium is the name of the game here.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
By the way, in the endgame, are wakestones available out in the main world? Or can you only get them from the Everfall fights like "Two chimerae and three flying necromancers all at once?" None of my old strategies worked for anything in Everfall, my pawns just get slaughtered instantly. I don't want advice on how to beat those fights - not interested in learning a whole new language which is what it would take - just wondering if I can play the way the game trained me to for 50 hours and actually finish.

mogwaimon

Magister
You've got to level up a bit to take on Everfall bosses; keep in mind that in addition to Everfall being the end-game dungeon it's technically also the old post-game dungeon as well. That being said, Wakestone pieces can be found out in the world but they are far more common in the Everfall. Boss mobs will drop more, but you can actually get them from chests and common enemies in the dungeon, which do respawn.

Don't forget Bitterblack Island as well, which is the new post-game dungeon. You can get some levels there if you do end up really struggling even with the more common Everfall enemies.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So wait, is Everfall supposed to be post-BBI also? Seemed like BBI was supposed to be this parallel but completely optional thing. I only played the main game.

mogwaimon

Magister
Well, before BBI was introduced Everfall was the post-game. I beiieve in terms of difficulty it goes Everfall 20 wakestones > Everfall bosses > Everfall Ur-Dragon offline > BBI. The online Ur-Dragon is a special case but unless they changed it for Dark Arisen the Ur-Dragon online drops are the same as offline; just the fight is a bit more difficult because it's supposed to be a collaborative effort or whatever so it has a massive HP pool which grows every time it's defeated.

BBI is completely optional, yes, but it is definitely meant for high level challenges, and also yields some of the strongest weapons and armor in the game

Zombra

Patron
I guess I'm confused as to what I'm "supposed" to be doing after beating the dragon. If I'm too low level for Everfall and BBI, and too high level for everything in the main world, do I kill boars for seven weeks?

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
It's fun until you realize it's the exact same stamina potion chugging and attack spam gameplay for the entire length of it.

True but you haven't experienced true fun until you chug stamina potions while attack spamming on bitterblack isle with a magic archer and ricochet bolts.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I guess I'm confused as to what I'm "supposed" to be doing after beating the dragon. If I'm too low level for Everfall and BBI, and too high level for everything in the main world, do I just go kill boars for seven weeks?
I don't think it's possible to be too low level for BBI initial areas after beating the main game. Sure, the difficulty may ramp up rather quickly as you progress, but the first areas are probably the best grinding spot. Also if you manage to make some progress, eventually you'll get some cursed equipment. That's far and above pretty much everything else you've got. Well, the Grigori weapons may be better then the initial BBI weapons.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You can do BBI straight from level 1 if you want. Grab some explosives (or even just some junk in the dungeon) and use it to kill a few enemies, you'll skyrocket to appropriate levels in no time. Besides, gear matters far far more than level, which is why you could hire a pawn with postgame weapons to kill everything for you.

For everfall: You don't necessarilly have to fight the bosses to get wakestones. Random enemies in there will drop them too, just keep checking doors till you find something you can handle.

As far as climbing enemies, healing, and consumables: Nothing in this game is 'mandatory'. If you're not having fun, try something different. Playing as a class you hate in a way you hate and then bitching about it is just retarded.

mogwaimon

Magister
I guess I'm confused as to what I'm "supposed" to be doing after beating the dragon. If I'm too low level for Everfall and BBI, and too high level for everything in the main world, do I just go kill boars for seven weeks?
I don't think it's possible to be too low level for BBI initial areas after beating the main game. Sure, the difficulty may ramp up rather quickly as you progress, but the first areas are probably the best grinding spot. Also if you manage to make some progress, eventually you'll get some cursed equipment. That's far and above pretty much everything else you've got. Well, the Grigori weapons may be better then the initial BBI weapons.

Yea, you can definitely handle the trash mobs up to that central area where you meet the vendor who sells stuff and improves Dragonforged gear
but then I went into the dungeon proper, think my level was roughly 65-67 and I came across the Goreclops chained to the wall, cleared trash mobs and attacked the Goreclops only to have some mega death dragon spawn in on top of the fight and demolish me. Which, I read, is perfectly avoidable but at that level the Goreclops alone was proving to be a challenge

But nah, you don't have to grind boars for seven weeks, you can do the 20 wakestones just by exploring and killing trash mobs. But if you want to take on post-game you're gonna want to get some gear and levels. I've heard it recommended that level 80-100 is a good range for BBI on Normal mode, on Hard the recommended level goes much higher, but you also get double the EXP and gold on Hard mode too.

On the subject of Grigori gear, it varies. I beat Grigori as Mystic Knight in my last playthrough and the Mace/shield I got outstrips everything but the third and maybe second tier of BBI drops, especially with the Dragonforged bonus on top of the base stats. I hear the sword is particularly good as well, but for other classes YMMV.

Grimlorn

Arcane
It's a good idea to dl the mod where you don't lose stamina when running outside of combat. That way you don't need a ton of mushrooms. You can also hotkey items to 1-4 if I remember right. Kind of awkward to do if you use a controller but you can keep a keyboard nearby if you want to hotkey. You can also hotkey lantern. You can also buy a bunch of bottles fill them up with spring water then give them to your party to instant heal in combat. They'll use them when you need healing most of the time. You just need to use the mod to edit their inclinations because Nexus will go up as they use them.

Zombra you're not too low level if you've beaten the dragon to take on BBI. I don't even think Everfall was that challenging but I always did BBI before it so not sure. BBI is sort of what the main game or a sequel should have been like. The game up to the Dragon is like a tutorial almost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom