Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://gematsu.com/2017/08/sword-art-online-fatal-bullet-announced-ps4-xbox-one-pc

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet announced for PS4, Xbox One, and PC

Following a teaser trailer earlier this week, Bandai Namco and Dimps have announced Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. It will launch worldwide in early 2018.

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet is a third-person shooter RPG and the first Sword Art Online game based in the fictional Gun Gale Online virtual reality MMORPG, which is featured in season two of the Sword Art Online TV anime.

Here’s an overview of the game, via Bandai Namco:

About

Become the hero of Gun Gale Online in the latest game of the Sword Art Online franchise in Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam. Step into the versatile landscapes and environments of Gun Gale Online. Experience an original story supervised by series creator Reki Kawahara that unfolds and changes based on the players’ choices and interaction. Play as the protagonist, battle against opponents using new weapons and further customize gameplay by creating skills and abilities. Interact with characters from the Sword Art Online original novels, anime and previous games as you navigate a world that is vastly personalized and visually enhanced. As an action based RPG, gun battle plays a large role unlike previous games, with unique and realistic designs resembling something out of a sci-fi movie and numerous other weapons and fighting styles to choose from. Stunning visuals also accompany this game thanks to the power of the Unreal Engine 4, which lends realism to the textures and materials, further immersing the player into the dynamic world. Full dive into Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet.

Key Features
  • Welcome to the World of Guns: Gun Gale Online from Sword Art Online II is visually enhanced, with many landscapes to discover in an all new original story supervised by series creator, Reki Kawahara.
  • Unreal Visuals: Get lost in a lifelike world developed by Dimps with realistic and robust environments and textures made possible by Unreal Engine 4.
  • Friend or Foe: Challenge tough bosses that require friends in co-op or play against them in 4-on- 4 battles.
  • Realistic and Heroic Gun Play: plenty of one-of-a-kind and beautifully Designed weapons to choose from and unique skills to create.
  • New to Xbox One and PC: Sword Art Online is playable on Xbox One and PC for the first time in the history of the popular gaming series.

Gameplay video:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Monolithsoft (Xenoblade games) are hiring for a new game that seems to have action oriented combat. Medieval fantasy action rpg, maybe.
mv.jpg

bg-joblist.jpg

mv.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another Chinese only singleplayer RPGs coming to Steam, Chinese Paladin (aka The Legend of Sword and Fairy) 4 & 5:

ss_d6ad5c3a53adbedad369d59b6c6eb7334413c971.600x338.jpg

ss_7694ba65fc0188c9ed35cce5ce97a4902319a3c0.600x338.jpg

ss_b5c1170813213eb61d776ca251ab3e0a0a72a9e8.600x338.jpg

ss_591ff6ae7b7286ec15a72b0df733c0a824fcacb5.600x338.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/22/16182888/dark-cloud-3-level-5-akihiro-hino-interview

“There has been a lot of requests and voices to create a Dark Cloud 3 or some form of Dark Cloud,” Hino told Polygon. “That IP is co-owned or managed by Sony Computer Entertainment, so it’s not something that we can do or act upon on our own.”

Consider those dreams dashed, then, although Hino did hint that Level-5 and Sony had entered “negotiations” over Dark Cloud in the past. (“I’m not sure if that’s happening now,” he was quick to add, after telling us of his own personal interest in a revival.)

What’s more likely is Professor Layton and other wholly owned Level-5 franchises getting revamps and remasters, which may be a small salve for the studio’s biggest supporters.

“Everything beyond Layton and newer is all controlled by Level-5,” Hino said.

“There’s a higher chance that we’ll see some of that, like older Layton games from when we were less well known. There’s a high chance we might see that on more modern platforms,” like PlayStation 4 or Windows PC.

That’s all in the air for now, with no concrete plans for any ports. But for the Dark Cloud 3hopefuls out there, it may be time to uncross those fingers — unless Sony has plans of its own, of course.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So not only are they remastering vol.1-3 but they're also making a 4th. I wonder if they're hoping to make more after it or if volume 4 is going to be more of an epilogue for Haseo's story. They don't say anything about the PC release but hopefully that November 3rd release date is for both platforms.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Probably good news for Europe guys: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-08-24-atlus-sets-up-european-publishing-team-in-london

Atlus sets up European publishing team in London
Japanese company to operate out of Sega Europe's offices

Persona publisher Atlus will handle the European publishing of its own titles going forward.

Previously the company had used third-party publishing partners, including Koch.

The move is part of the company's acquisition by Sega. The new team already features commercial director Simon Inch, and will add a PR manager and a product marketing manager in due course. All three will operate out of Sega Europe's offices in London.

The company says that it will enable them to better support fans with the special edition sets and products that they currently offer in the US and other markets.

"It is a strong example of the growth we are experiencing as a company," Says Jacob Nahin, senior PR manager at Atlus US. "Publishing in Europe is simply the next step for us. What this means initially for fans is a parity for launch and premium editions. From a business perspective, we'll be better positioned to address the needs of each market in which we release our titles."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/atlus-to-publish-more-games-in-europe/0186236

Atlus to publish more games in Europe

Atlus is to start publishing more games in Europe, according to Atlus USA’s senior PR manager Jacob Nahin.

“Previously, we worked with Koch Media – they’re publishing Yakuza Kiwami, for example – but now we’re going to start to publish more titles ourselves over here,” Nahin told MCV@gamescom.

Exact titles have yet to be announced, but Nahin told us that we can expect them to be for the Nintendo 3DS platform. He also said the company’s move into European publishing will help ensure more parity between the special editions of its titles all over the world.

“It’s a new experience for us, but it will also allow us to deliver a lot of the special bundles, such as our launch editions, collector and premium editions [in Europe], which in the past haven’t always been the same on this side of the ocean when they come over,” Nahin continued.

“An example would be Yakuza 6. Both the US and Europe will now get those whisky glasses with the frosting on them, and the coasters, and all of that as extras. It provides us with a lot of business opportunities, and a lot of opportunities to better give fans what they’re looking for.”

Nahin also said that several Atlus franchises have seen huge growth in Europe over the past year.

“It’s been interesting to see the awareness of the Yakuza franchise and the IP as a whole grow. I feel like Yakuza 0 came out of nowhere for a lot of people, but we’ve seen the fandom and [user] base grow a little bit more with each title. We also published Persona 5 [in the US], which is still selling really well, and it definitely seems people are now more aware of the Persona franchise as well. It’s always had a strong following, but each time it does better. I think it’s a really interesting time for Japanese titles coming to the west.”

But what does it means for PC releases? We will see. Will see.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I want to be optimistic, but then I remember that this is Atlus. I like Atlus, they like to hurt my feelings.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Secret of Mana remake is coming to PC, PS4, and Vita on February 15th next year:

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/secret-mana-3d-remake-announced-ps4-ps-vita-pc

Square Enix has announced a 3D remake of Secret of Mana for PlayStation 4, PS Vita, and PC (Steam). It will launch digitally worldwide on February 15.

The remake will feature high-definition 3D graphics and voice-overs, and promises to retain the charm of the original while incorporating improvements such as upgraded gameplay and a newly arranged musical score.

Secret of Mana was originally released in 1993. It tells the story of Randi, Primm, and Popoi as they battle a treacherous empire in order to reclaim the power of Mana and bring the world back to order.

Pre-orders from the PlayStation Store will include “Moogle Suit” character costumes for Randi, Primm, and Poppoi, s “Tiger Two-Piece” costume for Primm, and “Tiger Suit” costumes for Randi and Popoi, and three PlayStation Network avatars. Pre-orders and first-week purchases from Steam will include the three costumes, as well as a downloadable wallpaper.

In Japan, the PlayStation 4 and PS Vita versions will be released both physically and digitally for 4,800 yen. A collector’s edition including a copy of the game, pop-up book, arrange tracks CD, and Randi, Primm, and Popoi figures will also be available exclusively via the Square Enix e-Store for 13,870 yen. Amazon Japan purchases will include the user’s manual originally included with the 1993 release.

Watch the announcement trailer below. View the first set of screenshots at the gallery. Visit the official English website here and Japanese website here. A Twitter account has also been launched.

Now where are Romancing Saga remakes for PC, Squaeni.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
What the fuck? Not liking how this looks aesthetically. Also, would much rather have Romancing Saga 2 on PC. Squeenix makes it really hard for me to support them sometimes.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
What the fuck is this?
It does not look terrible but Secret of mana looks a lot better and I'm not even talking about Legend of Mana which is one of the best-looking video games ever made.
Even the pseudo-3d characters in the manual look like that :
4631518640_2b8354473e.jpg

So much better than what they came up with.
Voice-overs?
If they even slaughter the music, one of my favourite OST, it will be a total disaster in my bag.
It tells the story of Randi, Primm, and Popoi
And this nonsense, don't know how it was in Japan, but here they were no default names, you chose from scratch.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
While this looks bad, it's Secret of Mana. I might get it down the line, I'm not in a big hurry.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well it gets more secular: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...na-is-being-3d-remastered-for-ps4-pc-and-vita

UPDATE 11.45AM BST: PlayStation Store pre-orders are now open (thanks, Alcifer) so we know the 3D remake of Secret of Mana will cost £33 on PS4, which isn't cheap. Optional in-game purchases are mentioned - but what are they for? If pre-orders get downloadable armour perhaps you can buy it too?

There's no Vita PS Store page yet and the 3D remake of Secret of Mana doesn't appear to support Cross-buy (buy once on PS4 or Vita to own the game on both).

---

Arcane
Another game that should be confined to good, old children memories.

Played today is less than mediocre.

jungl

Augur
Lot easier to get guaranteed sales slightly updating visuals of old games then risk selling making a new game of this caliber. None of the old classic jrpgs of the 90s and early mid 2000s would sell now in japan only in North America.

mogwaimon

Magister
Secret of Mana remake is coming to PC, PS4, and Vita on February 15th next year:

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/secret-mana-3d-remake-announced-ps4-ps-vita-pc

Square Enix has announced a 3D remake of Secret of Mana for PlayStation 4, PS Vita, and PC (Steam). It will launch digitally worldwide on February 15.

The remake will feature high-definition 3D graphics and voice-overs, and promises to retain the charm of the original while incorporating improvements such as upgraded gameplay and a newly arranged musical score.

Secret of Mana was originally released in 1993. It tells the story of Randi, Primm, and Popoi as they battle a treacherous empire in order to reclaim the power of Mana and bring the world back to order.

Pre-orders from the PlayStation Store will include “Moogle Suit” character costumes for Randi, Primm, and Poppoi, s “Tiger Two-Piece” costume for Primm, and “Tiger Suit” costumes for Randi and Popoi, and three PlayStation Network avatars. Pre-orders and first-week purchases from Steam will include the three costumes, as well as a downloadable wallpaper.

In Japan, the PlayStation 4 and PS Vita versions will be released both physically and digitally for 4,800 yen. A collector’s edition including a copy of the game, pop-up book, arrange tracks CD, and Randi, Primm, and Popoi figures will also be available exclusively via the Square Enix e-Store for 13,870 yen. Amazon Japan purchases will include the user’s manual originally included with the 1993 release.

Watch the announcement trailer below. View the first set of screenshots at the gallery. Visit the official English website here and Japanese website here. A Twitter account has also been launched.

Now where are Romancing Saga remakes for PC, Squaeni.

I just got the email and came to post this. The decline is real....and forty bucks! I mean I guess we'll see what they pop out but I'm not holding out any hope for it being as good as the original.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
From the Yakuza team:
http://gematsu.com/2017/08/yakuza-studio-announces-fist-north-star-game-hokuto-ga-gotoku-ps4
Sega’s Yakuza Studio has announced Hokuto ga Gotoku, a Fist of the North Star (Hokuto no Ken) game developed by the studio behind Yakuza, for PlayStation 4. It will launch in Japan in 2018.

The action adventure game will star Fist of the North Star series protagonist Kenshiro, voiced by Yakuza‘s Kazuma Kiryu voice actor Takaya Kuroda, and feature a completely new story set in “Eden,” the great entertainment district of century’s end where the hopes and desires of the people assemble. Players will be able to enjoy various action and exploration, including Yakuza series-style play spots.

Here’s an overview of the story and protagonist:
Story

Due to the hell fire of the final war, every living thing seemed to have been destroyed. However… humanity was not annihilated.

An era has arrived where all civilzations were blown away and none were produced. A world where the strong compete for the little food and resources left behind, and where violence dominates.

In the corner of such a world was a place called “The City of Miracles.” That city’s name is “Eden.”

Eden has an inexhaustible supply of water and electricty from the giant dome-shaped “Sphere City,” a relic of the old world overlooking the city, and that blessing provided for it to become an entertainment district. The people of Eden live a rich live unimaginable in this era. It is an indescribable city that can only be hailed as a miracle.

One day, a lone man at the end his wandering finally arrives in Eden. That man’s name is Kenshiro. He was a denshosha of Isshi Souden no Ansatsuken and Hokuto Shinken.

This man, master of the invincible fist, seemed to be fortune’s favorite of this era dominated by violence. But Kenshiro’s heart was full of despair and there was only one hope left to live for.

Kenshiro’s only hope was a rumor that his beloved fiancee Yuria, who was thought to be dead, is living in Eden.

However, Kenshiro’s slight hope was in vain, as the city tightly sealed by castle gates and refused entry of people from the outside…

What will Kenshiro, who wants to enter Eden at any cost, do…? And what is the fate that awaits Kenshiro beyond his pursuit of Yuria…?

Pursuing “love” in the setting of a mysterious city, a man named Kenshiro gets caught up in the torrent of fate named destiny.

The curtain will rise on another legend of the savior.

Kenshiro (voiced by Takaya Kuroda)
A denshosha of Isshi Souden no Ansatsuken and Hokuto Shinken handed down for the long period of 1,800 years. He has seven scars that make the shape of the Big Dipper cut into his chest. Defeated by Nanto Koshuken user Shin, and his fiancee Yuria stolen from him, he again overcomes death and carries out his revenge.

Last edited:

mogwaimon

Magister
From the Yakuza team:
http://gematsu.com/2017/08/yakuza-studio-announces-fist-north-star-game-hokuto-ga-gotoku-ps4
Sega’s Yakuza Studio has announced Hokuto ga Gotoku, a Fist of the North Star (Hokuto no Ken) game developed by the studio behind Yakuza, for PlayStation 4. It will launch in Japan in 2018.

The action adventure game will star Fist of the North Star series protagonist Kenshiro, voiced by Yakuza‘s Kazuma Kiryu voice actor Takaya Kuroda, and feature a completely new story set in “Eden,” the great entertainment district of century’s end where the hopes and desires of the people assemble. Players will be able to enjoy various action and exploration, including Yakuza series-style play spots.

Here’s an overview of the story and protagonist:
Story

Due to the hell fire of the final war, every living thing seemed to have been destroyed. However… humanity was not annihilated.

An era has arrived where all civilzations were blown away and none were produced. A world where the strong compete for the little food and resources left behind, and where violence dominates.

In the corner of such a world was a place called “The City of Miracles.” That city’s name is “Eden.”

Eden has an inexhaustible supply of water and electricty from the giant dome-shaped “Sphere City,” a relic of the old world overlooking the city, and that blessing provided for it to become an entertainment district. The people of Eden live a rich live unimaginable in this era. It is an indescribable city that can only be hailed as a miracle.

One day, a lone man at the end his wandering finally arrives in Eden. That man’s name is Kenshiro. He was a denshosha of Isshi Souden no Ansatsuken and Hokuto Shinken.

This man, master of the invincible fist, seemed to be fortune’s favorite of this era dominated by violence. But Kenshiro’s heart was full of despair and there was only one hope left to live for.

Kenshiro’s only hope was a rumor that his beloved fiancee Yuria, who was thought to be dead, is living in Eden.

However, Kenshiro’s slight hope was in vain, as the city tightly sealed by castle gates and refused entry of people from the outside…

What will Kenshiro, who wants to enter Eden at any cost, do…? And what is the fate that awaits Kenshiro beyond his pursuit of Yuria…?

Pursuing “love” in the setting of a mysterious city, a man named Kenshiro gets caught up in the torrent of fate named destiny.

The curtain will rise on another legend of the savior.

Kenshiro (voiced by Takaya Kuroda)
A denshosha of Isshi Souden no Ansatsuken and Hokuto Shinken handed down for the long period of 1,800 years. He has seven scars that make the shape of the Big Dipper cut into his chest. Defeated by Nanto Koshuken user Shin, and his fiancee Yuria stolen from him, he again overcomes death and carries out his revenge.

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Musou fan but a Fist of the North Star game in the Yakuza style? And it's not a retread of the manga's story? It's gonna shit all over Hokuto Musou :shredder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom