Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
He tried to dance with them like in Undertale. Since that didn't work, Grimore is obviously the worst crpg ever.

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Fought the infamous instakill spear trogs today for the first time and... what's the big deal? Cast armorplate and not only did hit first due to speed, but they failed to penetrate a majority of the time.

Really had expected some nightmarish encounter wherein my party would be devastated by constant spears from every direction, what I got was their failure to penetrate a necromancer's robe and some pretty easy encounters even with basic autoattacking.

Beta played his first true blobber and decided his opinion on the game was worth a shit, that's the only reason we're discussing the one hit kills. I mean fuck you run into this shit in the super demo areas with the dragonflies and no one cared then

My Frontline warriors have like 5 different conditions. Cure light conditions at 7 doesn't take it down all the way and sleep makes it worse, I ate the fruit and used most of my potions. Saved anyways on the same game. I'm either going to figure my way out of it or die trying and learn a lesson for my next party. Couldn't be having more fun with the Incline.

PEACH

Arbiter
Is disease causing the conditions? Apples and leeches might help if so, none of the additional conditions will lower until it's cured from what I recall.

As far as first real blobbers go, grimoire is mine too other than might and magic games I never finished. That's perhaps what makes some of the hyperbole around its supposed brokenness so surprising to me; I never played wizardry (but will very soon), and have no nostaligia for the bygone days, the game's just really not that unfair or unreasonable in the first place

Biggus

Scholar
Septic seppo was trying to get support on the forum but no ownership icon of course.

I think Nekot got him a key in the end though, to facilitate development on the Decline editor.

Anyway, Cleve, if you're doing a major update are you thinking of using the beta test branch for it? Might be a good idea to get a few of us to test it before you roll it out to everyone.

Next update will break all mods and editors currently being written by confirmed pirates. None of that stuff will work so might as well abandon that version. I have already done some work on this. If you want build an editor, purchase the game through the Steam store. Maybe I will work with real owners. Pirates I will keep busting all your hacks shortly with a rotating encryption alg that will change every single version issued.

Sounds like a stupid idea. People hate DRM because it often interferes with legitimate customers. Breaking their mods just because a pirate made them will have the same effect.

Yup, stupid idea in spades.

Cleve says the game will go to GOG. Cleve says DRM... kinda conflicting ideas. Cycling algorithms to stump the pirates? lol, this assumes this pirates are even interested in doing it, which I doubt they are. It also assumes CMB is capable of doing it, which... umm, yeah :)

Sales won't go up because he adds DRM.

Make the game better, make the game be what it could be, make it reach its potential, which might put it up there with the very best ever. Forget DRM, waste of freaking time, not to mention risky! One more saved game episode like the last one and that'll be the end.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Next update will break all mods and editors currently being written by confirmed pirates. None of that stuff will work so might as well abandon that version. I have already done some work on this. If you want to build an editor, purchase the game through the Steam store. Maybe I will work with real owners. Pirates I will keep busting all your hacks shortly with a rotating encryption alg that will change every single version issued. I am sure most of these guys don't exactly have busy schedules this century so I am certain they will eventually crack each one ... right before I release the next one.

Cleve, I appreciate the desire to strike fear into the hearts of the peanut gallery, but please don't mess with the .RSF bundle format; I'm only an inferior sap-brained hybrid, I can't possibly hope to keep up with a full-blooded Neanderthal encryption system. I am happy to prove my Grimoire ownership if you'll let me continue work on my modest tool.

Biggus

Scholar
Jesus, all these lame losers bitch moaning and complaining about muh manual... It's a manual not a brain transplant, it won't help you anyway...
It took me about an hour to figure out how to use my berserk skills. If you quickly guessed that this requires a weapons with "melee" attack mode, great respect. 600 such questions - and will be those same 600 hours.

Having a manual is fine but when there isn't one we can figure shit on our own like you did. We're not 5, we can deduce the workings of a video game.

I'd wager I am older than you old son, but I will bow to your superior knowledge, please explain all stats, and tell us what they do, exactly. I must be too dumb, so I eagerly await your answer. We want to see what you have deduced.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Fought the infamous instakill spear trogs today for the first time and... what's the big deal? Cast armorplate and not only did I hit first due to speed, but they failed to penetrate a majority of the time.

Really had expected some nightmarish encounter wherein my party would be devastated by constant spears from every direction, what I got was their failure to penetrate a necromancer's robe and some pretty easy encounters even with basic autoattacking.

felipepepe, take notes. If you don't cast a protective spell, that's not broken combat and insta-kills are common in blobbers anyway.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I'd wager I am older than you old son, but I will bow to your superior knowledge, please explain all stats, and tell us what they do, exactly.

http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Attributes

Well, some of that is plain wrong like metabolism and destiny not being able to be increased manually. And at least when the game first came out I didn't see a difference in regen from those with high and low metabolism.

And devotion seems to do the same thing as intelligence and wisdom. Just by reading that devotion seems more important than int and wis and if I was using this as a guide I would max dev, go str and agi. It says nothing about speed dictating turn order which is super important to know. Even having read that I would still just pump speed for everyone but my dedicated casters unless something has changed significantly in the last week or two.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Next update will break all mods and editors currently being written by confirmed pirates. None of that stuff will work so might as well abandon that version. I have already done some work on this. If you want to build an editor, purchase the game through the Steam store. Maybe I will work with real owners. Pirates I will keep busting all your hacks shortly with a rotating encryption alg that will change every single version issued. I am sure most of these guys don't exactly have busy schedules this century so I am certain they will eventually crack each one ... right before I release the next one.

Cleve, I appreciate the desire to strike fear into the hearts of the peanut gallery, but please don't mess with the .RSF bundle format; I'm only an inferior sap-brained hybrid, I can't possibly hope to keep up with a full-blooded Neanderthal encryption system. I am happy to prove my Grimoire ownership if you'll let me continue work on my modest tool.

This is why we can't have nice things. Because of grease trap chromosomal horrors like Zep I have to take these measures. I am genuinely sorry for people who just want to build everyday char editors and modders. It's a tragedy but the fact is several centuries ago somebody did not put one of Zep's ancestors out onto a rapidly melting ice floe and because of that person's malfeasance we all bear the brunt of the consequences today. People like Zep ruin everything for all of mankind. Zepo is interested in modding it to get at the resources, etc. he's malicious. Everything he does is malicious and not just in relation to Grimoire.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Jesus, all these lame losers bitch moaning and complaining about muh manual... It's a manual not a brain transplant, it won't help you anyway...
It took me about an hour to figure out how to use my berserk skills. If you quickly guessed that this requires a weapons with "melee" attack mode, great respect. 600 such questions - and will be those same 600 hours.

Having a manual is fine but when there isn't one we can figure shit on our own like you did. We're not 5, we can deduce the workings of a video game.

I'd wager I am older than you old son, but I will bow to your superior knowledge, please explain all stats, and tell us what they do, exactly. I must be too dumb, so I eagerly await your answer. We want to see what you have deduced.

Phil, you have always believed yourself to be the life of the party and a bon vivant. Remember, twenty five years later here is the score :

Cleve Blakemore, Wizardry Style Games Released : 1
Phil Moore, Wizardry Style Games Released : 0

Enjoy that peanut gallery. I've seen your multimedia, trust me, Hollywood does not beckon. Outside of used car ads late night I don't think anybody needs your services.

The first time I saw Biggus on the forum, I had a feeling. That old granny man style avatar. Something about the expression on that thing's face. No. It couldn't be. But it is. Moore, do much in the last thirty years?

NO

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I'd wager I am older than you old son, but I will bow to your superior knowledge, please explain all stats, and tell us what they do, exactly.

Well, some of that is plain wrong like metabolism and destiny not being able to be increased manually. And at least when the game first came out I didn't see a difference in regen from those with high and low metabolism.

And devotion seems to do the same thing as intelligence and wisdom. Just by reading that devotion seems more important than int and wis and if I was using this as a guide I would max dev, go str and agi. It says nothing about speed dictating turn order which is super important to know. Even having read that I would still just pump speed for everyone but my dedicated casters unless something has changed significantly in the last week or two.

Yeah, I think DEV might have been changed - it's been shown that it has an effect on the mana pool increase on levelup, but I'm not sure if DEV actually has an influence on the number of skillpoints. As to SPD, it says right there that it's about who attacks first and the number of attacks.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Fought the infamous instakill spear trogs today for the first time and... what's the big deal? Cast armorplate and not only did I hit first due to speed, but they failed to penetrate a majority of the time.

felipepepe, take notes. If you don't cast a protective spell, that's not broken combat and insta-kills are common in blobbers anyway.

Flippin' PeePee turned off random encounters and was wondering why he didn't seem to be levelling up. No insta-progress like Pokemon. Parachute all millennials into downtown Baghdad with a buck knife and candy bar at Ramadan and watch them become men.

Biggus

Scholar

You keep quoting the damn wiki as if it is some sort of holy writ. FFS, don't you get that the bits people want to know either are missing or are based on the manual written in the 90s. Cleve himself doesn't seem to know what the damn stats do, which are broken, which are important, and which are 'working as intended' so I fail to see how the wiki does.

You fanboys make me laugh, trying to justify broken.

Biggus

Scholar

Exactly, which is why the wiki in this respect anyway, is useless. The fanboys and the geniuses tell us they 'figured it out' or point us at a wiki that has obviously incorrect info. Helpful that. FFS.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Bigfus you're a fucking douche please go back to Reddit or wherever the fuck you came from I'm sure the Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter online subreddit is really dead without you

Biggus

Scholar
Bigfus you're a fucking douche please go back to Reddit or wherever the fuck you came from I'm sure the Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter online subreddit is really dead without you

Ah yes, the ad hominem, nothing like it. Lot of class there.

mogwaimon

Magister
Parachute all millennials into downtown Baghdad with a buck knife and candy bar at Ramadan and watch them become men.

Is that game an homage? Because it sounds suspiciously similar to a game my friends used to play called Cleghorn Survival where they'd drive some poor asshole into the slums of the next town over, shout nigger out the window, and kick them out with nothing but their wits to save them. You can't just turn every game into your own Grimoire, Cleve.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Just remember to backup your game folder, men. After Cleve's done going full retard adding DRM to a game 2,000 (wishful thinking) people paid for, you're going to want that old version in the backup bank.

He could be doing something productive instead, like fixing his broken shit or releasing a manual.

BUT NO...He's chasing Imaginary Pirates.

ProTIP: Cleve, they won't give a shit and move on to the next easy to "backup" game.

Zep--

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In case you don’t know what Australia is, it’s a God-forsaken country in the middle of nowhere full of kangaroos, lions, giant spiders and crocodiles that are ever always trying to kill you. Inside this wasteland lives a group of people named Australians. Australians are the laziest, most annoying and most troublesome people you will ever have the misfortune of coming into contact with. Their entire diction consists of using the words “mate” and “c*nt” at every opportunity and talking as though they have been possessed by evil kangaroo spirits. Nothing they say makes sense and their words have no value or worth whatsoever. They talk and communicate with each other just because, and they live just because. For some reason, these strange beings, Australians, have decided that ruining their own country isn’t nearly enough, and they need to ruin the internet for everyone else. You could be having a conversation about cats, the different breeds, the pros and cons of having a cat, and then suddenly out of nowhere, an Australian shitposter appears. He might pretend to be interested in cats at first in order to get your trust and pretend that he wants to discuss the topic at hand. Make no mistake; he is here just for one reason; Shit-posting. Australians do not contribute anything to online conversations, they can only shit post. Whether it is an online forum like 4chan or 8chan, or a social network like Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr. No matter what the topic is, you can be sure there is an Australian there for the sole purpose of shit-posting. No one currently knows why Australians are so prone to shit-posting. Perhaps spending so much time with wildlife and other non-domestic animals has had a mental effect on them, causing them to fall back to their primitive ways. Or maybe living in that boring hellhole of a country forces them to seek what little entertainment they can find on the internet, usually at the expense of other people’s fun. “No Aussies allowed” is the general rule you must impose on your website or forum if you want to have an enjoyable time online. Australians are not your friends. They are not friends of the internet. Perhaps in the near future, it might be possible to build a huge online virtual wall around the internet to keep Australians out. Until then, do not reply to Australian shitposters. Hide all Australian threads. Do not interact with the Australians.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Exactly, which is why the wiki in this respect anyway, is useless. The fanboys and the geniuses tell us they 'figured it out' or point us at a wiki that has obviously incorrect info. Helpful that. FFS.

I don't feel the anger you do because a lot of times in the old days manuals were wrong and figuring it out yourself was half the fun. It can be annoying, sure, but this game specifically and accurately stated it is going for Wiz7 and so much information in Wiz7 wasn't in the manual. I recently (in the last 10 or so years) found out Strength isn't that good in Wiz7. The manual doesn't tell you that. I found that information looking for a good list of weapon damage and what items do online. I have constantly used the mad god enhancements and patches that change pretty significantly classes and races, and humans can get strength up to 20 now, but is that good? I have no idea. I forget why strength is bad too, or the specifics at least. I think, but am far from sure, it raised damage 2 points at 18. To me that isn't so bad. 2 points x a ton of attacks = a lot more than 2. Does it help with penetration? I don't know. I try things and decide for myself. The only time very accurate information is required by me is when the game has really good chardev, and then the nitty and gritty is worth it and needed. But if you look back to games with decent chardev a lot had poor information in the manuals. Like traveler or RoA series. Without the internet you made due. There is another game I can't think of the name of but it came out around the same time as RoA BoD which was really great but was a complete guessing game, and the rng was so crazy it was almost impossible to figure anything out.

I prefer systems like SPECIAL or D20 3.5 since it is clear what each stat does specifically and without much confusion, but if there is going to be a D100 system with little to no chardev choices the ambiguity of your decisions makes it far more fun. Or trying to figure it out is another carrot on the stick at least.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
ASSERT FAILED! 'rpggamec.cpp' Line 661

upon showing the World Management Magazine (or wtv) to mr. Nebulon.

upd: both ad pages, too.

upd2: mr. Zyrinx, by contrast, reacts correctly to them. Now you know who is the legitimate contractor and who is an impostor! :)

Fixed in next update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom