Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In the face of the decline, is Bethesda the least declined company?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
The *core* of the game, is that it is a first person game where you click on mouse to attack in real time.

So what's the difference between Elder Scrolls and Halo? Or Minecraft?

guys i think this is a trolling thread

You are severely overestimating Bitler.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Essentially if you look at what is Daggerfall at core, it's a first person action game where you mash the mouse buttons to attack.
Fast forward 20 years later and you get Skyrim, what is essentially the same formula.
So looking at this logic, wouldn't it be that Bethesda is taking just the next logical step in their gaming development and making Elder Scrolls what they were supposed to be in the first place?

A fantasy player power adventure ?

Let's not forget that Dragon Age Inquisition was still Real Time with Pause and had a tactical view so it's pretty much the same formula as Baldur's Gate and NWN. Same with Risen 2, that was a third person action RPG just like Gothic 1 and 2 so it was basically the same game right?

Not realy, they are using different engine, while Bethesda since Morrowind are using the same engine, so essentialy it's still the same game.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So what's the difference between Elder Scrolls and Halo? Or Minecraft?

Elder Scrolls is supposed to be a fantasy power adventure (which Skyrim esentialy is, and every other Elder Scrolls before it, just with more additional elements)

Halo is just a random shooter number 123456

Minecraft is derp project by Notch that went succesfull for some reason.

mogwaimon

Magister
Essentially if you look at what is Daggerfall at core, it's a first person action game where you mash the mouse buttons to attack.
Fast forward 20 years later and you get Skyrim, what is essentially the same formula.
So looking at this logic, wouldn't it be that Bethesda is taking just the next logical step in their gaming development and making Elder Scrolls what they were supposed to be in the first place?

A fantasy player power adventure ?

Let's not forget that Dragon Age Inquisition was still Real Time with Pause and had a tactical view so it's pretty much the same formula as Baldur's Gate and NWN. Same with Risen 2, that was a third person action RPG just like Gothic 1 and 2 so it was basically the same game right?

Not realy, they are using different engine, while Bethesda since Morrowind are using the same engine, so essentialy it's still the same game.

3be.jpg

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Even though that Bethesda games are shit, there IS something magical about them.

Even though I always uninstall them, I always find myself coming back to them.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
As others said, Daggerfall was a character creation sandbox. It had lots of Skills That Do Something (a thing part of the Codex hates). There are few other games that match it in simulating that feeling that your character is really alive in a fictional world. It's really a spiritual successor to Alternate Reality. No way we'll see another game like it from Bethesda anytime soon.

Apart from fixing glitches and exploits, the only thing that would make it better would be more diverse zones. Truly differing environments that your character has to adapt to would really spice up the gameplay.

wyes gull

Savant
Hold on a second. You think it praiseworthy to continuously produce ever increasingly watered down versions of Morrowind including wholesale raping Fallout while they're at it? And bethesda is the least decline company because they turned what could vaguely be considered RPGs and turned them into lowest common denominator action fodder? Because... it sells?

Are you drunk?

Dude, if anything, a games studio isn't incline unless it goes under.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Is this OP's continuation of his I will die a lonely old virgin thread? Part II.

Yep, I'm a boring average dead inside manbaby millenial.

I want to embrace nothingness, for in nothingness, I can rest, my soul can rest.

I'm a slave to the world, my soul bleeds and it is a long and painful death.

OP, no offense, but you deserve to play Skyrim and nothing but Skyrim until, let me quote you, you die as lonely virgin. In Skyrim too. Yes, with Loverslab mods installed.

That's your punishment in this life so that in the next you will be born as at least human who won't unironically type this:

What you are talking about guys is not the *core* of the game, these elements are more like flavours, a cherry on top.

The *core* of the game, is that it is a first person game where you click on mouse to attack in real time. The rest of the elements that were there that governed dice rolls etc were additional elements.

Once could say that Bethesda is moving closer to the *core* of their game, by removing those elements.

and then click on Post Reply button.

Endure. Your playthrough of this life will come to an end and it is in ironman mode so no save reloads. In next life you will be reborn as someone with much more prestigious tastes and perhaps you won't even be a virgin in it.

Endure!

Ash

Arcane
Bethesda are heaviliy declined, but there is some real worthless garbage out there.

In the world of RPGs, Bethesda are one of the most declined. In the world of gaming as a whole, well if you think Bethesda is the bottom of the barrel I suggest you remain in a state of ignorance, for it can be bliss.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When I look at Daggerfall and Morrowind, both excellent games in their own way, and then at Oblivion and Skyrim, and then at the claim by this thread's OP that Bethesda is the least declined company, I'm really questioning whether OP is actually in possession of a working brain or merely pretends to be.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
You can't decline any further when your characters and NPCs are the equivalent of cardboard cutouts , although perhaps I am wrong and Bethesda will have one-word interactive characters in their next game. Oh wait, Fallout 4 happened.

Seriously though, their stuff does continue to sell well, so they must be doing something right. Bioware is slowly becoming the next EA casualty so you may be on to something. Pretty sure it has more to do with Bethesda moving away from their games being actual RPGs and into a blank slate Mary Sue action land. It's the smaller companies that have taken up the mantle and produced the decent RPGs in this period of time. CDProjekt Red is also still good, I have high expectations for Cyberpunk 2077.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
How can people can continue to even discuss the fucking shit garbage of games these people put out is beyond me....

mogwaimon

Magister
We really have a lot of new dumfucks lately...

:M
How can people can continue to even discuss the fucking shit garbage of games these people put out is beyond me....

You just mad because we newfags say a lot of stupid unimportant bullshit that you've got to moderate. Here's another one for the inbox, dude :love:
plz no ban

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well you need to step up your game here. You are fucking boring. Do some research here.

You are all so fucking boring, Bubbles was the ONLY new poster that finally added something to this site....

mogwaimon

Magister
Well I can't deny that, I am rather droll. This is me being a tryhard so you'd probably die of boredom if I went back to normal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom