Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Lhynn

Arcane
Im not even speaking for grimoire, crispy promised a key, he might deliver today, who knows.

Also, i just gave Infinitron a massive :butthurt:
:lol:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I fail to see how the opinion of someone who thinks pokeman is a better rpg than actual good rpgs is relevant to anyone? Please make reviewers list their top 5 or 10 favorite games of the last five years so people can tell at a glance if the reviewer has any sort of crossover taste. Just having some hipster game dickhead that happened to play some old games write a review about a real rpg was about as smart as having an rpg hating console game lover like Prime Junta review TToN. Granted that the bulk of your audience here are pokeman loving console game retards who don't even bother playing most of the real rpgs that come out, but you could pretend that this site is a little monocled still.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I think the key point here is: don't force the games to be the way you want them to be and thus gain satisfaction, instead adapt yourself, deform yourself, learn to enjoy what sparked inside the mind of a creator that follows his vision and doesn't care about your comfort.

It could be applied to most modern media; literature is a good example. I love books that move me out of my comfort zone, be it because of the archaic language, or strange ways to articulate a story, etc. But nowadays the focus on most books is "easy to read and understand. Sort chapters so it can be read in the crapper. Using formulas that proved to work."

But this is not a black/white argument. In the end some degree of accessibility and compromise is neccessary. Cleve is a special case but most developers need to eat, and nobody is going to make another blobber for us during 23 years. The important thing is not to forget that accessibility and the ease to reach the public is a means, not an end.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The intellectual unseriousness of the anti-balancers is proven by the fact that their arguments have no self-limitation. They stretch into infinity. When is a game unbalanced enough?

Roguey ran into this problem, which may be the reason why he decided to become devil's advocate in this thread, because it's infuriating to deal with.

Let's say in one oldschool RPG, if a character dies, you can resurrect him with no permanent long-term penalty. OK, that was good, nobody had a problem with that. But now in Grimoire, if you resurrect a dead character, he loses CON. Complain about that? How dare you, evil balancer! I guess that other oldschool RPG got it wrong too. There's no limit to the purism. Burn the past!

It's similar to the position of the US Democratic Party on immigration. They say they're not for open borders, but they'll always take more immigrants, never less. How many immigrants is enough? 2 million a year? 5 million? 10 million? They'll never say.

tl;dr Contrary to popular belief, anti-balance = leftist mindset :smug:

mogwaimon

Magister
Start up Might & Magic II: Gates to Another World. Run into Cuisinarts with a low level party, get wiped. Realize later you can power up a fountain, or get just strong enough to outlast the Cuisinarts for a round until they frenzy, destroying themselves.

7 million experience points!

I don't mind that kind of imbalanced encounter, which can alter the gaming experience in a blink of an eye.

At least that is an interesting imbalance, because it requires some form of thought on the behalf of the player to accomplish.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Please make reviewers list their top 5 or 10 favorite games of the last five years so people can tell at a glance if the reviewer has any sort of crossover taste
Was there even 10 great rpgs releaed in the last five years?

Definitely. But I said games, because the people who review here play mostly console non-rpgs and would list them if they were honest. They are big fans of Bioshock, metal Gear, and Pokeman, etc. If all the reviewers only like non-rpgs and console games it paints a picture of what this site values.

Lord Andre

Arcane
You're equating any act of balancing with refusal to think outside of the box, and the need to have law and order in everything that ultimately creates a dull lifeless system. I believe there should be imbalances, but I also believe those imbalances should provide fun for the player. If the imbalances can't directly provide fun for the player and instead create an annoyance for them, then the imbalance should at least create some sort of depth to the systems involved.

If the imbalance provides no fun for the player, nor provides an interesting obstacle for the player to overcome and instead simplifies the experience to the point of boredom, then should it not be eliminated?

Imbalances occur naturally. Any attempt to design just the right amount of imbalance will fail. A good game comes together from a 1000 factors pulling in different directions. The result is always unpredictable. Stubborn attempts to micro-manage this process lead to stillborn abominations like Pillars of Eternity.

If at this point you're thinking "but I had fun with Pillars of Eternity" then you are one of the zombies I was talking about that finds comfort in predictability and repetition. What you had was not fun but a feeling similar to what a dog feels when you pet him and he wags his tail. He's enjoying it but it's not ludic in nature.

mogwaimon

Magister
Haven't played PoE to be honest. Did try Tyranny. Never finished. Got bored with it because it was just dull. But your argument still basically boils down to "If you don't like what I like you're wrong." so....

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There was a time when I thought the constitution decrease was a lousy penalty, but it's not even that big of a deal since all it affects is how much vitality you get on level up (which allegedly decreases based on a percentage, not a fixed number)

I suppose it might be a big deal if you never actually eat food to replenish it. :smug:

Viata

Arcane
Please make reviewers list their top 5 or 10 favorite games of the last five years so people can tell at a glance if the reviewer has any sort of crossover taste
Was there even 10 great rpgs releaed in the last five years?

Definitely. But I said games, because the people who review here play mostly console non-rpgs and would list them if they were honest. They are big fans of Bioshock, metal Gear, and Pokeman, etc. If all the reviewers only like non-rpgs and console games it paints a picture of what this site values.
You could just send your review, then. You gotta force the reviews incline yourself.

Lord Andre

Arcane
But your argument still basically boils down to "If you don't like what I like you're wrong." so....

Pretty much. It's been like that since the first 'thal carved a ?squirell? on the side of a cave and his two sapien friends started arguing over whether it looks like a rat or not.

I also enjoy being pedantic about it. It's fun.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
There was a time when I thought the constitution decrease was a lousy penalty, but it's not even that big of a deal since all it affects is how much vitality you get on level up

Apparently, CON works differently: http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Attributes
  • CON: Constitution
Carrying capacity for equipped armor and weapons (encumberance), resistance against some attacks (paralysis, disease, system attacks), determines the amount of spell points needed to restore the character's HP and vitality.

So if it gets too low due to resurrecting, then you will have encumberance on a fighter with a lot of armor. And I'm not sure, but apparently Raise Dead does not decrease CON, so it's probably a case of a good Resurerction spell and one with penalties.

mogwaimon

Magister
But your argument still basically boils down to "If you don't like what I like you're wrong." so....

Pretty much. It's been like that since the first 'thal carved a ?squirell? on the side of a cave and his two sapien friends started arguing over whether it looks like a rat or not.

I also enjoy being pedantic about it. It's fun.

I know many pedants. Always the most annoying to argue with but it's also the only time you get decent debates. You're alright, Lord Andre.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There was a time when I thought the constitution decrease was a lousy penalty, but it's not even that big of a deal since all it affects is how much vitality you get on level up

Carrying capacity for equipped armor and weapons (encumberance), resistance against some attacks (paralysis, disease, system attacks), determines the amount of spell points needed to restore the character's HP and vitality.

So if it gets too low due to resurrecting, then you will have encumberance on a fighter with a lot of armor. And I'm not sure, but apparently Raise Dead does not decrease CON, so it's probably a case of a good Resurerction spell and one with penalties.

This is rather strange because I actually did test a character before and after death and nothing on the character sheet changed except the constitution number (definitely not the encumbrance number, and I didn't notice any discernible change on the resistance bars).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

This is rather strange because I actually did test a character before and after death and nothing on the character sheet changed except the constitution number (definitely not the encumbrance number, and I didn't notice any discernible change on the resistance bars).

CON may be a different variable when dealing with afflictions: the resistance numbers determine whether you get one and CON determines how fast you can get out of it.

Lhynn

Arcane
The intellectual unseriousness of the anti-balancers is proven by the fact that their arguments have no self-limitation. They stretch into infinity. When is a game unbalanced enough?
Oh shut up you ignorant twat. I have put forward a proposition against conventional wisdom in game design, which is: balance isnt important, as long as nothing is broken you dont need to address it.
I havent seen a single counter argument worth a shit.

Games like BG2, bloodlines, arcanum, fallout, planescape, and pretty much every game in the top 70 codexian RPGs, isnt balanced, nor did it strive to be, and a lot of them were outright broken beyond belief, and it never got in the way of enjoying the title. Which already proves my thesis.

MMOs, Mobas, and other forms of competitive games require balance to make victory or defeat be worth a shit, single player RPGs do not.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Samhain horror fight seems designed to get you to use cosmic gate I think, considering you get it sometime earlier in the dungeon (argosyre or perhaps elsewhere?) but I digress
Yep. Just think, guys.
1) Your enemy is a cosmic horror.
2) St. George (though being fraud) apparently used Amulet Astrixus that is low-level damaging item (around 15 damage) against astral beings. In reality he used rat diplomacy, of course.
3) You can buy several bottles of Zephyr Cola in Chambers of the Waters - and thus strike first. You need max one bottle for the mercury fish puzzle. (or just catch it by hand if you are quick)
4) You can buy scroll of Cosmic Gate just before encountering Samhain Horror, upstairs.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter

If you don't like it here, then leave.

I made the same complains about game balance and stability and everyone ranked my post retarded. Now the full review comes out, and talks about first turn wipes, and bards being OPed. Virtue signalling on the Codex much?

Latro

Arcane

Roguey ran into this problem, which may be the reason why he decided to become devil's advocate in this thread, because it's infuriating to deal with.

Let's say in one oldschool RPG, if a character dies, you can resurrect him with no permanent long-term penalty. OK, that was good, nobody had a problem with that. But now in Grimoire, if you resurrect a dead character, he loses CON. Complain about that? How dare you, evil balancer! I guess that other oldschool RPG got it wrong too. There's no limit to the purism. Burn the past!

It's similar to the position of the US Democratic Party on immigration. They say they're not for open borders, but they'll always take more immigrants, never less. How many immigrants is enough? 2 million a year? 5 million? 10 million? They'll never say.

tl;dr Contrary to popular belief, anti-balance = leftist mindset :smug:
This is the first time in about 2 years I've seen you actually talk about RPG mechanics outside of a shill post/kickstarter announcement.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Oh shut up you ignorant twat. I have put forward a proposition against conventional wisdom in game design, which is: balance isnt important, as long as nothing is broken you dont need to address it.
I havent seen a single counter argument worth a shit.

Maybe against conventional wisdom in game design, but in this forum it's kind of generic. We have a sarcastic sawyer's head balance button for christ's sake.

Also what could "nothing is broken" mean besides that at least some balancing exists?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom