Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You can see the fugly Bombshell face next to the health counter.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Another Screenshot:
tumblr_or7fdmTLCp1u8zqvfo1_1280.png

There is a development thread on the "Duke4.net" forums:
https://forums.duke4.net/topic/8181-ion-maiden/

You can see the fugly Bombshell face next to the health counter.

I think they mentioned that it might be a placeholder.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I cannot tell you exactly what, but I am not loving these screenshots. They look somehow anarchic, incoherent, messy, hard to read. The weapons too lack style.

It's like Lameduke.

Ash

Arcane
I just want good level design, good enemy design and fun weapons.

Is that too much to ask.

In 2017, probably. Level design? Pfft. Art direction, ease of navigation and realism has to dominate that discipline, that's what everyone is doing and for good reason. Keep with the times. Gaming is better than ever. We've made so much progress since the days of mindless shooting and keyhunting.

...that hurt to write. There are retards that actually believe shit like this.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Heh, modern shooters being shit is one thing, shooters that advertise themselves as "old school" while failing to meet the most basic criteria of an old school shooter is something else entirely.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I wonder if they ever make use of Build's ability to have overlapping sectors. Levels like Lunatic Fringe or Tier Drops really pushed that to the limit, and it was amazing to see. Be in one room decorated in one particular style, then leave it, turn around the corner, and go back in, and suddenly it's an entirely different room. I remember playing with that in Build myself; they could be a bitch to make if not well planned in advance. I can't remember any other games or engines that had similar abilities even all these years later
Descent engine did this too, back then, though I don't think the official campaign took advantage of it. But I remember one of the levels that shipped with the CD version, had a large room with a big cube in the centre. Each side of the cube had a door, and each of the 6 doors lead to a corridor and a part of the level that was obviously MUCH larger than what could fit in the cube. It was a really cool level. But yeah that's the only other game I can think of.

I don't remember if it was lunatic fringe, but my favourite use of this in Duke3D was the circular rotating room, which actually went on for more than 360 degrees thanks to the overlapping sectors. Combined with the change to walking speed due to it rotating, it gave the room a disconcerting feel of not being the right size.

Ash

Arcane
Duke Nukem 3D had some really damn creative level design. Good level design really is a dying art.

Secondary agenda here is to bump. So, so much popamole on the codex general gaming.

I have to wonder, though, how much this game too will fall victim to realism and art direction -- the need to make the game look good. Because visually, this is definitely the best work on the Build Engine, and levels do seem to emphasise realism perhaps a little too much. But we'll see. As the post above me mentions, in the likes of Duke 3D you had levels where shit often made no realistic sense. It was good old abstract level design centred around multi-genre gameplay and interesting creativity.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
But will it have mod support? (actually a somewhat serious question)

I am glad I'll see another "silly demake made for promotion winds up better than shitty AAA game that spawned it" after Dark Void Zero.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A bomb!:

https://forums.duke4.net/topic/8181-ion-maiden/page__st__450

The bombs don't work as grenades or the tnt bundle. These are bowling bombs so usually you release them before finishing the hand swing.

As you can see those panels are floor and ceiling textures. No as easy to break but we will take a look into the possibility. Just be sure there will be lots of destruction though.

Yeah, it's a weird little TRON-like trail thing. The same sort of weapon in Bombshell has them, too. Not an artifact.

P.s. we didn't code sector/wall texture destruction based on radius damage yet. It will definitely be in the game.

iqzulk

Augur
I wonder if they ever make use of Build's ability to have overlapping sectors. Levels like Lunatic Fringe or Tier Drops really pushed that to the limit, and it was amazing to see. Be in one room decorated in one particular style, then leave it, turn around the corner, and go back in, and suddenly it's an entirely different room. I remember playing with that in Build myself; they could be a bitch to make if not well planned in advance. I can't remember any other games or engines that had similar abilities even all these years later
Descent engine did this too, back then, though I don't think the official campaign took advantage of it. But I remember one of the levels that shipped with the CD version, had a large room with a big cube in the centre. Each side of the cube had a door, and each of the 6 doors lead to a corridor and a part of the level that was obviously MUCH larger than what could fit in the cube. It was a really cool level. But yeah that's the only other game I can think of.

I don't remember if it was lunatic fringe, but my favourite use of this in Duke3D was the circular rotating room, which actually went on for more than 360 degrees thanks to the overlapping sectors. Combined with the change to walking speed due to it rotating, it gave the room a disconcerting feel of not being the right size.
Bungie's Marathon games did this (example, near the big red A on the map, described in "Secrets" paragraph), from what I get, it even was some kind of a meme ("5D space" - also see this) in those games. Also, I remember a 2.5D FPS game, that was wholly built around this overlap gimmick, although it was a very obscure and arguably not a really good one, it was called "Madspace" (steam link).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, they're re-purposing the Bombshell account.

I guess this is the renewed character design?

9Zmq2gL.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/bombshellgame/posts/2062326540449252

A few words from Frederik Schreiber about Bombshell:

Happy Birthday Bombshell!

2-Years ago we released our most ambitious game to date "Bombshell".

It was an extremely complex game, with more than 30 people from all around the world, actively working on the game for over 2 years.

The game was released on January 29, 2016, to some critical acclaim but was also plagued by day-1 issue and some harsh reviews as a result. We later fixed said issues and improved on almost every aspect of the game.

Bombshell was a diamond in the rough. And overambitious game, which was just barely released in time.
Bombshell didn't get the chance it deserved at launch.

Understandably so. But it's a game we're very proud of, a game which has improved a lot since release, and an IP we're not giving up on.

Except more news from Bombshell this year!
Happy Birthday Shelly Harrison!

Ash

Arcane
Can anyone confirm the dev accounts there? Is Bombshell incline now that it has had further work done on it?

Ash

Arcane
Eh, seems borderline irredeemable based off of the press build:

Ion Maiden better be good ffs.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm not ashamed to admit that my classic FPS games gamer's spirit got a woody seeing those screenshots, and I ain't talkin' 'bout that old jew who makes Ingmar Bergman-inspired dramatic-comedies..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom