Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Age of Empires IV - Medieval Again

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My office PC still uses Win 7, as do all the PCs in my faculty, since nobody wants to "upgrade" to shitty spyware.
Besides there not even being an ounce of truth to that spyware stuff (well, yes, but you can disable all of it with ease), what is the great plan behind this childishness?
Windows 7 will be supported until 2020 ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet ).
And then what? Switch to linux? I mean, if the answer is yes, be my guest!
But that isn't the answer, is it?

There is only one answer why Win7 is still so "wide" spread:
There is no real need to update, everything still works with it. Once that changes, it's goodbye Win7. So why wait?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah my friends work at big firms,and big firms are well known for their stupidity and greed.

You mean the big firms have actual IT departments who have people capable of verifying that all the spying tales are bunch of internet bullshit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah my friends work at big firms,and big firms are well known for their stupidity and greed.

You mean the big firms have actual IT departments who have people capable of verifying that all the spying tales are bunch of internet bullshit.
It is shame that i can't rate you butthurt.
One of them works at the regional HK of Hewlett-Packard as a tech-support some kind of boss,but in this companies everyone is a boss of somebody.Another works at faceshit,the third one is in some english gambling firm.I am talking about normal people having normal jobs,not some kind of big bosses that have salary equal to the GDP of some african republic.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Sigh, Relic used to get me hyped. I mean, Homeworld, DOW1 and COH1 were pretty god damn great.

Since then though.. DOW 2 and 3 :( :( :( Oh and COH2 was lame as well.

I dont know, maybe everyone who made the great games quit or something.

Not to bothered by the windows store. I dont have any games there now, but if the game is good enough I probably will. I dont see the issue with buying from different digital stores. Already do it with GOG and Steam.

Based on quick MobyGames search, most lead designers on Homeworld/DOW1/COH1 left for Blizzard post-COH1/DOW2.

MapMan

Arcane
Some ex-Relic people (including some Relic founders) formed a new studio which developed Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. Nu-Relic is the worst that could happen to AoE4.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
My office PC still uses Win 7, as do all the PCs in my faculty, since nobody wants to "upgrade" to shitty spyware.
Besides there not even being an ounce of truth to that spyware stuff (well, yes, but you can disable all of it with ease), what is the great plan behind this childishness?
Windows 7 will be supported until 2020 ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet ).

There is no real need to update, everything still works with it. Once that changes, it's goodbye Win7. So why wait?
Post so dumb I'd rate it "retarded" twice if I had an alt.

Sentinel

Arcane

You can't disable any of it because it
1) Either re-enables itself automatically or;
2) The switch doesn't actually do nothing and it's just placebo

mbv123

Arbiter
I can't wait what kind of bullshit blackwashing and wewuzing they'll come up in the campaign.
Should be pretty hilarious

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I can't wait what kind of bullshit blackwashing and wewuzing they'll come up in the campaign.
Should be pretty hilarious
Easy,the futuristic EU will be all arabs and the mericans will be all niggers.They will combine forces to face the evil white nazi trying to retake their privilege!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Windows 7 will still work after 2020. There's no magical "shut it down!!" switch that makes it stop working in 2021.
:lol:
Well, duh!

But who will support it, still?
I mean, which developer not totally out of his mind will officially still support Win7?
Answer: No one will.

At some point (might not be 2021, but who knows, really), Win7 simply won't be compatible any more. Bugs that appear on it with software X won't be fixed any more.
You're piloting a derelict ship by then.

This is exactly the same kind of bullshit that happened with WinXP.
Back then, some people didn't switch for the exact same reason: Pure stupidity. "I will never switch" "Fuck MS!" "Shitty malware" bla, bla, bla, bla...
And now, large parts of software simply don't work with it anymore. Notice how WinXP has completely disappeared from the internet, except as a solution to run old games in a VM.
Well, okay, there was Vista, and Vista was just a really bad piece of software - but Win 10 is the "best" Windows so far, no complaints except some conspiracy theories*. Of course, this place is full of retards like that, so I'm not surprised in the least by this butthurt :lol:

*Well, no complaints compared to other Windows versions. There are still dozens of big problems with Windows in general.

Watch out, man, they are right behind you!

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Windows 7 will still work after 2020. There's no magical "shut it down!!" switch that makes it stop working in 2021.
Well, duh!

I mean, which developer not totally out of his mind will officially still support Win7?

At some point (might not be 2021, but who knows, really), Win7 simply won't be compatible any more. Bugs that appear on it with software X won't be fixed any more.

Back then, some people didn't switch for the exact same reason: Pure stupidity. "I will never switch" "Fuck MS!" "Shitty malware" bla, bla, bla, bla...
And now, large parts of software simply don't work with it anymore. Notice how WinXP has completely disappeared from the internet, except as a solution to run old games in a VM.
Well, okay, there was Vista, and Vista was just a really bad piece of software - but Win 10 is the "best" Windows so far, no complaints except some conspiracy theories*. Of course, this place is full of retards like that, so I'm not surprised in the least by this butthurt :lol:

*Well, no complaints compared to other Windows versions. There are still dozens of big problems with Windows in general.

That's right bro, nothing to hide - nothing to fear!
Keep swallowing that propaganda. You sure do enjoy being treated as a criminal.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
But will it be worse than DoW III? Is that even possible?

At least I have some hope that this will actually not be yet another CoH clone and include some proper base building.
But there, my hope stops.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The difference of thesheeep with most of other opinions about Win10 in here so far, is that he speaks like someone who works in a company that tries to keep up with current technologies and not someone that is simply a dude that read some stuff in the internet and decided that he hates the OS just like that..
My company works solely in Win10 nowadays and we have zero issues whatsoever. I also have Win10 at home because they are definetely faster and, for me, easier to use than Win7/8. Also no problems at all so far.
I actually find it funny that people skipped a free upgrade when it was available due to "spyware".

Now about AoEIV being Win10 exclusive... Eh it's Microsoft what'd you expect? Though that will probably reduce the sales of the game rather than anything else..

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well, duh!

That's right bro, nothing to hide - nothing to fear!
Keep swallowing that propaganda. You sure do enjoy being treated as a criminal.
And that is why i only use pirated Windows.Just install it and the disable all the updates and connections to microsoft.IT is interesting that there a lot of spyware in the video card drivers.I have noticed that older drivers work a lot better than the modern that come out with every game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've always used operating systems for many years after newer versions were released.

I always switch to the newer version eventually.

Using reliable old versions of software until the new version is thoroughly tested = good, rational.

Using the old versions forever = silly. And I doubt many people actually do it. At some point they get a new computer with a new hard drive and a new operating system and they just stick to it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I've always used operating systems for many years after newer versions were released.

I always switch to the newer version eventually.

Using reliable old versions of software until the new version is thoroughly tested = good, rational.

Using the old versions forever = silly. And I doubt many people actually do it. At some point they get a new computer with a new hard drive and a new operating system and they just stick to it.
I still morn the XP,i was really annoyed that i had to change it for win7,but 64 bit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I stayed with XP until 2015, then I upgraded to Win7 64bit so I can have more RAM.

I have disabled those annoying automatic updates after a while, because they're pointless anyway and just steal my precious time I could use to shitpost on the Codex by giving me this retarded "Please wait until updates are installed" shit that takes 2 minutes before I can use my PC. Which would be especially annoying if I just wanted to quickly check my emails before driving off somewhere and then having to wait like 5 mins or so, delaying my arrival because of inconsequential automatic updates

If I were to "upgrade" to Win10, the operating system wouldn't allow me to disable these updates completely anymore, because it's a retarded OS treating its users like children who cannot be trusted to make their own decisions. "Oh no, let's not allow our users to completely disable updates because that way they make themselves vulnerable to viruses!" Yeah no fuck off I use a firewall and I'm not a retard who opens fishy email attachments, don't treat me like I'm some noob who never used a PC before.

The reason for upgrading to Win7 64bit was a good one: it allowed me to use more of my RAM and play things like modded Europa Universalis IV which would otherwise not have worked due to requiring more RAM than XP could use.

But what does Win10 actually bring to the table? As in, what features does it offer that 7 doesn't? Actual useful features. Yes, it probably has a higher version of DirectX, but there's no reason that couldn't work on Win7 either, other than Microsoft being greedy and wanting to sell their new OS so people are forced to upgrade if they want to play the newest games.

From what I've seen it doesn't actually offer any technical improvements over Win7, except shitting a ton of annoyances on the user that he can't circumvent. Right now, as Win7 is still widely supported, I see no reason to put up with that shit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
JarlFrank that borders on reasonable. Stop it at once. I want easier targets!

I'm glad we found something worthwhile to talk about to distract us from the inevitable :negative: that AoEIV will most likely be.

Then again, AoE Online did surprise me positively (as in, it was actually a valid AoE game below that layer of online crap).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom