Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shenmue 3

Zer0wing

Cipher
Inb4 Deus Ex: Invisible War failure of a character models never taught anyone.
Prospermeda syndrome strikes again. Did they just take the models from Shenmue II directly and enabled tesselation? Prosperous indeed.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Could anyone tell me was Shenmue 1-2 so higly regarded? I have never played them, but to me they look like games which are time a dozen in this day an age. They are like cinematic action games with some open world element. Or they were revolutionary because they were the first of these cinematic games?

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Could anyone tell my was Shenmue 1-2 so higly regarded? I have never played them, but to me they look like games which are time a dozen in this day an age. They are like cinematic action games with some open world element. Or they were revolutionary because they were the first of these cinematic games?
Immersive sim by japs, to keep things short. And also cinematic, yes.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Could anyone tell my was Shenmue 1-2 so higly regarded? I have never played them, but to me they look like games which are time a dozen in this day an age. They are like cinematic action games with some open world element. Or they were revolutionary because they were the first of these cinematic games?
They had a great attention to detail in the world, at least the 1st one that I played. Today's walking simulators usually throw you in some woods or other simple environments. That game opened up a city for you that felt alive. But the actual gameplay is walking around doing mundane things, frustratingly waiting for the right time to do things, some quick time events and a bit of easy virtua fighter combat.

BTW the models in Shemnue 3 look identical to Shenmue's 1 models.

Deleted member 7219

If the gameplay is good it doesn't really matter about the character models from my point of view, but gaming publications will criticise them for it and the memes will be damaging as well.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Supposedly that video is what was shown to certain high-tier backers at a Kickstarter dinner a year ago.

Barbarian

Arcane
They had a great attention to detail in the world, at least the 1st one that I played. Today's walking simulators usually throw you in some woods or other simple environments. That game opened up a city for you that felt alive. But the actual gameplay is walking around doing mundane things, frustratingly waiting for the right time to do things, some quick time events and a bit of easy virtua fighter combat.

BTW the models in Shemnue 3 look identical to Shenmue's 1 models.

It also had a charm most games don't have. It was set in 80's japan and it felt like an 80's japanese martial arts b-movie. The first game suffered from having an immensely boring start. QTE's are lame I guess, but the Virtua Fighter combat and exploration were alright.

Anyway, I assume those models will be improved upon before release.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The character models featured in the recent Shenmue III teaser trailer are mostly temporary, series creator and project director Yu Suziki has confirmed.

Speaking to Game Spark, Suzuki said that the character models are largely incomplete. “Shenhua, Ryo, and the other characters are mostly temporary,” Suzuki said in response to concerns about the character models. “Shenhua still has to be fixed up a bit.” Pointing to other characters, Suzuki said, “This is a character close to completion. This one is temporary. This one is also temporary. This one is temporary, too.”

Characters of sufficiently high quality are seemingly being made, but executive producer Hideaki Morishita “was unable to ready them in time for this trailer.” According to Morishita, the major milestone of signing a contract with Deep Silver tells us that development on the project is progressing with new form, but since a trailer was not released alongside the announcement, they put one together despite feeling it might be premature. Morishita said, “While there is little excuse, there are parts that are still lacking or parts that are not sufficient.”

Speaking to Game Watch, Suzuki also said that facial expressions have yet to be implemented. “Facial expressions were implemented a month ago, but were temporarily removed,” he said.

Here are some of other tidbits from the interviews, with some additional information from Famitsu:

• Shenmue III will be a single-player-only game. Post-release downloadable content is planned, but Suzuki could not discuss its contents.
  • The voice actors for Ryo—Masaya Matsukaze in Japanese and Corey Marshall in English—have already signed on. There are a lot of voice actors Suzuki wants on board and will try to accomplish that as much as possible. However, since the previous game came out such a long time ago, some voice actors have since retired. For example, he will be holding auditions for a new voice actor for Shenhua.
  • While Shenmue used the Virtua Fighter engine and Shenmue II used the Virtua Fighter II engine for its fighting system, Shenmue III uses a new system built from scratch. Suzuki does not think that Shenmue III should be “an action game where critical command inputs are necessary.” From the beginning, Shenmue has been a game of thought where what is important is not the player’s timing input skills, but judgment. That is why a new battle engine is being made.
  • There will be a race. Suzuki also wants to include lure fishing. A system is being prepared where various people tell you about fishing spots, and you can sell the fish you catch for money. You will also be able to make money wood-chopping. As for the forklift, “everyone will be mad at me if we don’t do it,” Suzuki said. “The forklift is being prepared.”
  • For users who have not played the first two games, Suzuki wants to create a visually-based digest that introduces the story of the previous titles, but has yet to decide if this will be a video or not. He wants it to be simpler than the digest video included with Shenmue II. Since Ryo is tracing in the footsteps of his father, he will recall old things during the story, and since he can make international calls to characters from previous games, he may be reminded of when “I had that experience with this person.” Rather than relying on a single movie, Suzuki thinks it is better to scatter it across the game. Suzuki wants players new to the series to be able to enjoy it, as well as to bring a smile to the faces of returning players.
  • While he has difficulty predicting the gameplay length of Shenmue III, Suzuki said it should be about 30 hours in length.
  • While Deep Silver is the international publisher of Shenmue III, a Japanese publisher has yet to be decided. Partnering with Deep Silver stabilized the project in various aspects, including budget and promotion support. While he was originally thinking about scaling back, this led him to aim a little higher. This also slightly extended the development deadline an increased the number of developers working on the game. The game is currently in full-scale production.
  • Regarding a revival of Shenmue and Shenmue II on PlayStation 4, Suzuki notes that they are properties of Sega, so he is not in the position to comment. He understands that they are many users that want it, and thinks that they should do it if they can coordinate it with Shenmue III, as the releases can be beneficial to each other. He noted that the first two games had a high budget and invested in a lot more staff and trivial character details, which is something that cannot be done now. For that reason, he joked, if Shenmue and Shenmue II were re-released, they would be a director competitor to Shenmue III.
  • Suzuki would like to make Shenmue IV after Shenmue III, if possible. He does not think the story will be completed after Shenmue III, and has no interest in forcing it. While there are many users who want the story to be completed, he does not want to cut so many things short. He hopes to be able to complete the story within his lifetime.
  • Shenmue III will not be at Tokyo Game Show 2017. The only reason it is at Gamescom 2017 is because of the Deep Silver partnership announcement.
Shenmue III is due out for PlayStation 4 and PC in the second half of 2018. It will be published both physically and digitally by Deep Silver.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/08/shenmue-...y-says-director-yu-suzuki#xcpi1g8bBPBkriCR.99

Misco Jones

Savant
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2093399

s3_magic_2018_02_from9xrfw.jpg

s3_magic_2018_01_isntkhphd.jpg

s3_magic_2018_03_who-hyr9e.jpg

s3_magic_2018_04_thatqgr7q.jpg

Zer0wing

Cipher
That old fucker who always outplayed me in darts is back again? Time for revenge. :dealwithit:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://gematsu.com/2018/04/shenmue-i-ii-announced-for-ps4-xbox-one-pc

Shenmue I & II announced for PS4, Xbox One, and PC
posted on 04.13.18 at 09:45 PM EDT by Sal Romano (@salromano)

Shenmue I and II return for the new generation.
image: https://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Shenmue_04-13-18.jpg

Shenmue_04-13-18.jpg

Sega announced Shenmue I & II for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC (Steam) at Sega Fes 2018. It will launch physically (for consoles) and digitally worldwide in 2018. In Japan, it will only be released for PlayStation 4.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

About

Originally released for the Dreamcast in 2000 and 2001, Shenmue I & II is an open world action adventure combining jujitsu combat, investigative sleuthing, RPG elements, and memorable mini-games. It pioneered many aspects of modern gaming, including open world city exploration, and was the game that coined the Quick Time Event (QTE). It was one of the first games with a persistent open world, where day cycles to night, weather changes, shops open and close and NPCs go about their business all on their own schedules. Its engrossing epic story and living world created a generation of passionate fans, and the game consistently makes the list of “greatest games of all time”.

Story

A tale of revenge.

In 1986, teenage jujitsu artist Ryo Hazuki returns to the dojo of his father, Iwao Hazuki, only to witness his murder by a Chinese man, Lan Di. Lan Di steals a mysterious artifact known as the Dragon Mirror. Ryo vows to avenge his father’s death and sets out tracing Lan Di’s path.

The first game in the series, Shenmue begins the tale as Ryo travels around Yokosuka, Japan, gathering clues about his father’s murder and dealing with nefarious gangsters along the way.

The sequel Shenmue II continues Ryo’s quest, this time crossing the sea to Hong Kong, China. Ryo ventures deeper into the criminal underworld, meeting martial arts masters who aid him on his journey and offer insight into his father’s death, and unravels the mysteries of the Dragon Mirror that his father kept hidden.

Gameplay

• Take the role of Ryo Hazuki.
  • Explore a 3D open world searching for clues, examining objects, and talking to NPCs.
  • Battle enemies and bosses making full use of the moves of Hazuki-style jujitsu.
  • Beat quick-time events (QTEs) and mini-games.
Key features

• The best Shenmue experience
    • Pioneering Dreamcast classics available for the first time on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC
    • Updated user interface
    • Choice of modern or classic controls
    • Japanese audio available for the first time for a global audience (English audio also available)
    • Fully scalable screen resolutions
  • An epic legend
    • A tale of revenge on a grand scale
    • Solve the mystery of your father’s murder
    • An experience never to be forgotten
  • The world feels alive
    • Talk to anyone, scour the world for clues
    • NPCs live independent lives on their own schedule
    • Faithful recreations of 1980s Japan and Hong Kong, China
    • Distract yourself with arcade games, collectibles, duck racing, and more
Watch the announcement trailer below. View a set of screenshots at the gallery. Visit the official English website here and Japanese website here.

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/04/shenmue-i-ii-announced-for-ps4-xbox-one-pc#src4yXEM3sfHv4Ly.99

Barbarian

Arcane
I wonder if you will be able to import your save from shenmue II into III, just as back in the day you could import your save from the first game into the sequel. Any word on that?

There were many moves and items which could only be gotten that way. The moves thaught by the harbor bum for instance.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
SHOCKING: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2171149

Release date Announcement by Deep Silver

Hello Everyone,

Along with our publishers, Deep Silver, we have an announcement for the release date of Shenmue III. Our report follows with a comment from Mr. Suzuki.

Announcement by Deep Silver:

“ Deep Silver today announce that their upcoming release Shenmue III has been moved and will now release in 2019.

The extra time will be used to polish the quality of the game even further, to the high standards it deserves and release the product in the best possible timeframe. ”

Original Announcement: Deep Silver

Comment by Yu Suzuki:

To all of our backers, we are very sorry for the delay. After much discussion with our partners, Deep Silver, we have concluded that extending the release will allow us to deliver Shenmue III at its best. We promise to use this time to improve the quality of Shenmue III.

We cannot thank you enough for your enduring support.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom