Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Biggus

Scholar
So now that time has passed, how are you guys finding the game? I still don't have it so I was just wondering.

The sheer fact we now discuss this game more than Pillars of Eternity speaks for its self....

Is that a good thing or a bad? I wanted to know if the game lived up to the hype and such.

I guess it depends on your individual level of fanboyism.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Everyone agrees that the first 20-30 hours are the best RPG experience this year and as far as blobbers go, this decade. Everyone also agrees that after that things needs to be balanced more and polished in a few places and Cleve said that he'll do that once the manual is out.

Biggus

Scholar
Everyone agrees that the first 20-30 hours are the best RPG experience this year and as far as blobbers go, this decade. Everyone also agrees that after that things needs to be balanced more and polished in a few places and Cleve said that he'll do that once the manual is out.

Yeah, because "what Cleve said" is set in stone and absolutely going to happen! FFS :)

FWIW, not everyone agrees either. Everyone agrees is a slight exaggeration. Some agree is probably closer to the mark, possibly even many. I'd say things need 'balancing' in the first 20-30 hours too. I won't say that everyone agrees with this though, but I am fairly certain many do.

Alma Elma

Literate

I did hear about balance issues, is it really as bad as people say it is?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Yeah, because "what Cleve said" is set in stone and absolutely going to happen! FFS :)

FWIW, not everyone agrees either. Everyone agrees is a slight exaggeration. Some agree is probably closer to the mark, possibly even many. I'd say things need 'balancing' in the first 20-30 hours too. I won't say that everyone agrees with this though, but I am fairly certain many do.
He's been consistent with patching thus far

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You will lose 10% of vitality, no matter HOW MUCH YOU HAVE.

I've already tested and stated this OVER AND OVER.

VITALITY IS BROKEN.

Zep--

10%? I lost like 90% when I first started swimming and the more Vitality I have or the more skill I have in swimming the less % of vitality I lose.
Maybe when you have 100000 vitality and 100 swimming skill you only lose 10%. I understand that you expected that the minimum to be less than 10% but it is not.
That does not mean it is broken, I think it actually works OK. I'll also add that as far as I remember it worked exactly that way in wizardry 7 - when I was at the end game I could swim about 9 tiles maximum without drowning. If I wanted to swim more I had to use spells/items.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I remember that, you even asked if you had to take the princess or not to the Palace. What you did? Gave her the finger or not?
I tried to have her rescued without recruiting her into my party, but the king didn't seem to recognize that she could be rescued even though I
rang the bell in Skull Belfry, which supposedly would signal the king to send troops to rescue her.
To avoid missing out on content, I dismissed one of my PCs, recruited the princess, turned random encounters off, set "2.5D Movement" to single-step, and used the map's pathfinder and autowalk abilities to reach the king in about a minute. As soon as I finished conversation with him, I then hightailed for the Shrine of the Raptor to retrieve my missing party member. Since I avoided any combat without this PC and was only without her for about 2 minutes, I consider my rule to be kept. :M

I suppose I could instead have
killed the princess to obtain the Key of the Ancients and then killed the king to receive the Treasury Key, but that would have been churlish.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
What Clinton vs. Trump couldn't do to the Codex, Cleve vs. Felipepepe is accomplishing in spades!

Hello Cleveland Marx Blackmore if you give me a free steam key i will write a very good neutral-positive review for your game and i won't be a bad customer like certain people(felipepe) thank you

So you're saying Cleve and Grimoire are a part of the Decline?

Biggus

Scholar

I did hear about balance issues, is it really as bad as people say it is?

Yes, and possibly worse. :(

Biggus

Scholar

He's been consistent with patching thus far

Someone says 'everyone agrees' the opening of the game is the best of the year. I point out that this is not correct, and you tell us that he is consistent with patches. I see.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Hm, I assume you are just doing your standard oldschool preliminary checks and intel gathering, on party compositions and such, seeing that you are playing on novice.
:rpgcodex:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Hm, I assume you are just doing your standard oldschool preliminary checks and intel gathering, on party compositions and such, seeing that you are playing on novice.

As far as I can tell difficulty only changes the number of monsters you encounter. killing 6 worms on novice or superhero is the same.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

I just forgot to change any of the (default) settings. lol. I was just too excited to try my new party (Sage/Berzerker/Metalsmith/Necromancer/Ranger/Cleric) Then 3 of them died. Oh well...

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron

I just forgot to change any of the (default) settings. lol. I was just too excited to try my new party (Sage/Berzerker/Metalsmith/Necromancer/Ranger/Cleric) Then 3 of them died. Oh well...

You'll need 2 high hp character in front, berserker is fine, metalsmith is weak, sage/necromancer/cleric are terrible, I haven't played with a ranger but I am guessing he is supposed to be at the back?

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
You'll need 2 high hp character in front, berserker is fine, metalsmith is weak, sage/necromancer/cleric are terrible, I haven't played with a ranger but I am guessing he is supposed to be at the back?
2 zerkers in front certainly makes it easier, but not required. I have a zerker/metalsmith in front. Ranger is in my #3 slot.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah I only moved 4/5 steps (after allocating attribute points on each). Unfortunately Ranger was in slot 2 (where the AI targets) and died first.... heh Will move Berserker there.

Weasel
The History of Grimoire - Day 8295: With the game mostly stable at this point, Cleve reaches out to game journos

XKwyY4t.png

Beastro

Arcane
When I think about the level of late '80 - first '90 creativity I am always reminded of a true classic:
trexf14.jpg
This is fucking cool, imo. Limiting oneself because it "breaks reality" is stupid as fuck.

It's not that that Hobbes is rolling his eyes over, but Calvin's tendency to randomly alter shit on the fly that left it a disjointed, chaotic mess. You try to make a game, or any activity to get people involved and interested in, making rapid right angle turns to what is established s is not the way to maintain their immersion. All games have rules, everything people do are games when they are distilled down enough and it's for that reason that we despise real chaos in life. It has no rules and changes too quickly to establish any. If you think you don't like rules, all you really dislike are overly restrictive ones that inhibit any changes to established patterns, not the essence of rules themselves.

This is encapsulated in any comic where Calvin tries to play with someone other than Hobbes, like Susie, where just as Susie is getting into what has been established as their game, Calvin changes the rules turning things upside down and eventually pissing her off enough she refuses to keep playing with him.

iu

iu

iu

Even then Calvin is playing by rules, but ones that only allow him to play by himself either due to their chaotic nature or antisocial bent, which is why he has Hobbes around, despite Hobbes' more mature, jaded and orderly outlook.

iu

The problem here isn't when stuff "breaks reality" but when massive, dramatic and unforeshadowed changes happen in a medium. With regard to Grimoire that would be it suddenly becoming overly serious about the lore or doing anything that would violate the rules Cleve established in the game that form its tone.

It is why drops in the quality of games are so apparent and hated. People expect the quality to be maintained and would be fine with a game being of lower quality all the way through than one being of good quality at first, then having empty areas or a rushed plot after an arbitrary moment that reveal when develop got rushed to completion.

I find Hobbes calling their little play session stupid amusing in retrospect though. So many of the comics involve him playing Calvinball with Calvin, which is a game where the only rule is rules are made up on the fly, second to second that leaves anyone watching them play it look like absolute nonsense.

"No rules": Game has to have rules, since it's code executed by a machine. There's literally nothing happening that isn't following rules written down (even if they were not as intended they were still left in (bugs/exploits are still rules)).

Games have rules because they're made by living beings. Even animals establish rules, like rats and dogs when they play, where if a dominant animal wins over and over ceaselessly the weaker one will won't play with them anymore since they're sick of never having a chance.

It's actually not. There are plenty of 25+ years old movies that are worth watching today, even thought the technology today is far more advanced. There are 25+ years old games that are worth playing today, and there are games that are not. Trying to find out which are which is by no means pointless.

I'm reminded of my cousins kids who were skeptical of watching Alien when it came my pick of movies and then spent the entire time captivated by it in a way all their modern day choices never did with them as they dicked on their phones.

As much as what Mondblut is true, it is missing a crucial point and it is that which makes sometime timeless.

Hardly anything changed in movies for the past 25 years. Games from 25 years ago are matching Interbellum cinema if you insist on making the comparison. When they just got sound and some even shaken the world with Technicolor.

What of beyond that?

CGI is so universal today special effects that aren't it are unfathomable to younger people who seem to assume anything older that doesn't use it is immediately crap, but amazed when it's convincing in a way most CGI isn't, given that subtle way humans are able to sense when something isn't really there that oddly makes a man in a suit scarier than better made CGI monster.

Also, yes there are Interbellum movies still worth watching today.

It also helps watching them to see that people back then faced the same problems,pondered the same things, had the same fears and imagined things much like ourselves, and just as profound as well as silly.

It's an odd thing that as much as you may try to remind yourself of all of that, seeing people now all dead on a show dealing with such stuff hits you in a way even a book doesn't and is the ultimate gift of film and TV.

Last edited:

valcik

Arcane
Yeah, because "what Cleve said" is set in stone and absolutely going to happen! FFS
Yes.
The only unpredictable thing are mysterious ways of Neanderthal clockwork colliding with deadlines perceived by saps.

mwnn85

Savant
Trying to roll a Drake Metalsmith...... :M
Needs a lucky roll of 30 for that.
Likewise for the Durendil Templar.
I think Vamphyr Necro's need around 25'ish

Starts with about 40 TAC but mine had extremely low HP probably less than 10...
Not sure if worth it - not as a frontliner - despite getting Lethal Blow. Gets that massive skill point multiplier though!
Your typical Saurian gets around 30 HP+

That's one of my current annoyances with Grimoire.
The character creation menus are suggesting classes which are extremely difficult, impossible to obtain or even sub-optimal.
Drow looks like a good spellcasters from the picture but from what I've read they're completely crappy.
And we (allegedly) can't class change until the game is virtually over.
:negative:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom