Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I find particularly funny how "game has no right-clicking" seems to be more important thing to correct than "the game has 600 hours of gameplay".

Anyway, I already fixed that and the line about food being useless. I wonder if Cleve will do the same.

zeitgeist

Magister
It's the only place where this fucking works - with no clear indication whatsoever AND NO GODDAMN MANUAL to explain that. Right-clicking doesn't work in 99% of the UI, how I am to guess it specifically works there?

So you're claiming incompetence, not malice? Would the same excuse apply to never leaving the cursor for a second over any other UI element that has a tooltip then, in 80 hours of playing? There was really no curiosity whatsoever in you to actually investigate the matter before putting false information in print?

In any case, if you're really this incompetent by your own admission, surely you will correct the review and apologize on the same page that it was posted in, right?

But if that's your biggest issue with the review - the one you pick as undeniable proof of my bias - then I did a damn fine job.

That's just the first thing, and as you've said, it's undeniable so why not start with that? Now that we've established that you have no idea how to play games, how to review them, how to handle corrections, or how to operate a computer mouse, here's the next piece of advice: in the first 5-6 pages of this thread, there are many posters correcting you on other matters. Take a deep breath, swallow your ego, make necessary corrections to the review and give them credit.

Maybe you should've crowdsourced the review in the first place.

Viata

Arcane
For all the angst, agendas and wiseassery the game is fucking awesome and ultimately you are doing it a disservice by reviewing it based on your agenda or perception
Yes, writing reviews based on the reviewer's perception is clearly wrong. Why don't you write your own review, with the "correct" perception then?
Did you have to get this low, Felipe? It's just a review, not a research for the cure of cancer and people are stopping you from your nobel and fame. It's not like it's going to please everyone. The funny part is, there are things wrong there(which people already commented), there are also things that are right(which people are ignoring because they can't argue against), but in no way you said "don't buy this game, it's horrible". So it's better for you to play undertale(just kidding :lol:) and not to act like that. Anyway, if you can't take criticism so you also have no right to say Cleve can't take it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
literally
You came so close to using that word correctly for an entire post.
rating_prosper.png

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Have people forgotten what a review is? A review is meant to be an objective analysis of a product based on the writer's experiences, which by the inherently subjective nature of opinions will always have some form of bias.

This contradicts itself. How can it be an objective analysis if, by your logic, the review is based on opinions which are subjective? This doesn't make sense.

A review should be a straight forward analysis of the systems of the game without opinion thrown in. This would make the review entirely objective. Anything else is reviewer-wankery.

mogwaimon

Magister
Have people forgotten what a review is? A review is meant to be an objective analysis of a product based on the writer's experiences, which by the inherently subjective nature of opinions will always have some form of bias.

This contradicts itself. How can it be an objective analysis if, by your logic, the review is based on opinions which are subjective? This doesn't make sense.

A review should be a straight forward analysis of the systems of the game without opinion thrown in. This would make the review entirely objective. Anything else is reviewer-wankery.

We mean for the review to be objective, that is the ideal. But by its very nature the review is subjective, and often people get confused and forget that a review can never be completely objective.

Weasel
I find particularly funny how "game has no right-clicking" seems to be more important thing to correct than "the game has 600 hours of gameplay".

I also think Cleve should have toned down the talk of 600 hours, but what I actually saw on the store page was: "600 hours of play possible in a single game". Given Baff spent 100 hours on 10% of the game it's not exactly false, perhaps when more people have completed the game with some of the early exploits and broken quests closed off we can suggest a figure closer to the average experience for him to advertise.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Funny how felipepepe's experience with Grimoire mirrors crpgaddict's experience with Fate: Gates of Dawn - down to the reccomendation to only play the first act.
At least he was not triggered by pair of boobs. :D

Okay seriously, this is a dumb way of approaching the creation of any product meant for commercial sale. If you are not trying to get new players interested, you're a terrible game maker, an idiot, a shitty businessman, and an overall dope. You're quite literally saying that the only population of possible customers to go after is the base that already exists, but of course people age out of this cohort, or die, or lose interest. Forget needing new players to grow, you simply need them if you want to survive. If everyone took this attitude, nothing new would get made, no new players would get interested, and the genre (any genre, for that matter) would die a shitposter's death.

This is a bad post and you should feel bad.
New players? Fuck new players. Reasoning like yours gave us Fallout 3 and other abominations. I was sold when I held game in my grasp and saw that it's Wizardry. It's buggy, sometimes cumbersome, but fucking brilliant Wizardry. Fuck you all with your balance, fuck your "muh UI", fuck your "muh Armorplate is not visible in the charsheet"! Nothing of it matters! Because it's fucking Wizardry. It's the only game that could scratch my Wizardry 6/7 itch since fucking Wizardry 7!
My sage can't raise Music even for +1 in new version. Is it bad? Yes, it's bad, but it's a fucking Wizardry.
I can't raise throwing by flinging 50 daggers in general direction of bugs and moths? Fuck throwing. Most of throwable things are broken anyway. And it's a fucking Wizardry.
Stealth is not raising? Ok, but I already have two characters with Stealth 100 from version 1.0

Nothing fucking matters. Nothing. Because this mad megalomaniac Cleve brought the old magic back. He made fucking Wizardry!

Just look at exploding insects. Look at magic screen. Look at dungeons. Read purple prose. Disarm trap on the chest. Solve puzzle.

Yea, it's Wizardry. And I'm happy.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
As for making reviews... yeah I dont have the same sort of "connections" as you do especially with Infinitron
Cowardly excuses. The Codex accepts submissions from any members - always had. That's how I began as well.

And you are the one who's so enamored with his own opinions you're declaring mine as false or biased.
Nah lets skip opinions and deal with fact; you dont have either the gameplay or mechanics knowledge to review Grimoire bub, simple as that and all your butthurt cant change that.
You seem to have taken things personally both with Mr Blakemore and anybody who can point to this very simple fact and now come across as a little bitch
"Hey you dont like it dont read it or do your own review"
Nigger please

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Review just reinforced my previously held beliefs. Wait for the game to get all bugs fixed and the offensive broken things like bards to be fixed and then get the GOG version. Also I'm not that upset about combat not being the greatest thing here because dungeon crawling and itemization is the real reason I play blobbers.

FelipePepe, manboons are not learning animals. Where are all your persist spells for this area? You should have 9 different orbs floating in the viewport and you should keep them refreshed, knowing this is a very dangerous area.

As for these troglodytes, are you aware there about three different ways to completely avoid combat with the heavier encounters here altogether?

Yes, if you charge around this area on Progress Quest punching buttons, these trogs will make hamburger out of you quickly. Those impaler spears are designed to kill newbs and Brazilians very quickly down here.

I don't think after 40 hours you should know this little about what you are doing. Grimoire is not an anime grinder. It takes brainpower to play. The insta-kill is a classic part of Wizardry and many other RPGs which you claim to be familiar with ... but I don't think you are. You are like a popamole in sheep's clothing, creeping about in the game going guize I'm totally hardcore wiz player ... but your amazement that your candy ass is getting waxed down here doesn't make any sense. This is a very dangerous area. You cannot popamole through it.

Try thinking a bit about all the options available in the game other than just charging around and crying mascara tears because your like totally maxed out giant got killed by a spear. Thrown and everything. FelipePepe, Grimoire is not for amateurs. If anything, what I meant by unbalanced was simple - there are exploits in the game that even enable people like you to win it. You're right. I need to fix those immediately because amateurs and millennial crybabies should not last ten seconds in the Saltwyrm Caves. The trogs are guarding one of the tablets down here and they have standing orders to kill Brazilians twice. The only way you should be going through this area is with persistent spells floating around like Armorplate, Magic Screen and Missile Screen ... ready to be jumped at any moment. Did you discover how to make the trog army stand aside and let you pass?

I came here hoping to see a post like this.

@LoG2 debate - Fuck you I did buy LoG2 on release. One of my most hyped games of 2014 and it delivered on everything and improved over the first game in almost every aspect. Truly an example of what a sequel should strive to be.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
and often people get confused and forget that a review can never be completely objective.

Wrong, but maybe if you spend all your time reading Kotaku and Game Informer reviews I could see why you'd have this impression.

Hm. Have you ever met a human who is completely divorced from bias?

Grimoire is an RPG created in the vein of Wizardry, featuring first person dungeon crawling and turn based combat. You can make your own party of up to 8 adventurers choosing between 14 different races and 15 different professions. The game contains over 64 intelligent NPCs which you communicate with with the keyboard. There are over 100 different maps to explore. You can collect over 1000 items during your adventure and fall prey to over 100 different types of monsters. The game also contains a throwback midi soundtrack and 2D hand-drawn artwork. The current iteration of Grimoire contains some bugs that can interfere with progressing, so be wary of that, but the developer is working hard to iron out all the problems. Overall, if you are interested in games similar to Wizardry it would not hurt to give this game a try.

Viata

Arcane
The thing I wish there are more in Grimoire was unique dungeons. I hope Cleve focus on them in Grimoire 2 or when start updating Grimoire 1 with more content.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Is there a tl;dr on this whole drama and what are the various camps?

Reviews are serious business on the codex. :D

I kind of feel bad for Felipepe, he's actually a bro. We get so combative over these things and mean spirited... I know I am guilty of this. I am sure he wrote honestly what he thought of the game even if we don't agree.

mogwaimon

Magister
and often people get confused and forget that a review can never be completely objective.

Wrong, but maybe if you spend all your time reading Kotaku and Game Informer reviews I could see why you'd have this impression.

Hm. Have you ever met a human who is completely divorced from bias?

Grimoire is an RPG created in the vein of Wizardry, featuring first person dungeon crawling and turn based combat. You can make your own party of up to 8 adventurers choosing between 14 different races and 15 different professions. The game contains over 64 intelligent NPCs which you communicate with with the keyboard. There are over 100 different maps to explore. You can collect over 1000 items during your adventure and fall prey to over 100 different types of monsters. The game also contains a throwback midi soundtrack and 2D hand-drawn artwork. The current iteration of Grimoire contains some bugs that can interfere with progressing, so be wary of that, but the developer is working hard to iron out all the problems. Overall, if you are interested in games similar to Wizardry it would not hurt to give this game a try.

I would argue that's more of a synopsis or some sort of blurb for the store page, but fair enough.

This is completely unnecessary but I feel like I need to address it. I sometimes feel that Lady Error has such a venomous attitude when it comes to her overtly zealous support of Grimoire and Cleve that she might have Cleve's sleeping wife tied up in her basement somewhere like in fucking Misery and Cleve only released Grimoire after 20 years of obsessing over every pico issue as a way to negotiate for his wife's release. But what he doesn't realize is that Lady Error has no intention of releasing his wife until she learns the secrets of skinwalking and one day Cleve will get his wife back but another woman will be inside her.

I welcome all the butthurt and retadred ratings, I'm calling open season on this one.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As for making reviews... yeah I dont have the same sort of "connections" as you do especially with Infinitron

You write a review and then click on the CONTACT US button and send it to us there. What are these "connections" you are talking about? The articles chosen to publish on the Codex go through several people.

Unless it's a positive review for an obsidian game... ;)

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I would argue that's more of a synopsis or some sort of blurb for the store page, but fair enough.

I didn't spend much time or effort writing it so it could be a lot more informative and in-depth while still remaining objective. If the person writing the review is aware of his/her bias then they can work around that and write something that is objective.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Watching the Grimoire phenomenon affect the world is truly an interesting experience. Whereas before the casuals would have brought torches and pitchforks for the game not playing itself, the incline has browbeaten them so hard that all they can do now is stare at their feet babbling "Cleve-sama, please bestow upon us the gift of being able to read a manual."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom