Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Larian Studios RPG Survey - The Results

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fugg, just saw this....I may be a storyfag for when a game has less to offer in other departments, but for a game that uses a quality TB engine to dream about story faggotry rather than pine for maximum tactical combat quality, depth and well crafted encounters? Fuck those faggots!

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Interesting that MMOs are so lukewarm. No one is hankering for that style of gameplay anymore. Yet it seems like every developer still wants to make them.
The industry as a whole is moving toward games as a service, rather than a product. People don't necessarily want that, but it's the most palatable way to fleece customers. They started with season passes, and now they're teetering on the edge of gambling with loot boxes. The fact that China is at the forefront of combating these practices is sad. I just want to buy a fucking video game, and god forbid it comes with all its content, and I finish it and maybe buy the sequel. Why has it come to this. I get that development costs have risen exponentially, but maybe, I don't know, try making less expensive games.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Crafting is cancer.

Jagged Alliance 2's system of modifications is the highest I can take in terms of crafting.
Also, I hesitated to type RPG Codex as my sole source of information in the survey,
fearing it would be counted under 'one of them'. But did write it anyway.:cool:

Pentagon

Educated
I'm just happy so few people "love" crafting. The sooner it dies the better.
I thought Underrail did it right. I only crafted about a dozen items the whole game and each one felt like I had made something that was powerful and customized to my character.

Falksi

Arcane
I know i'm kinda off-topic, but in your opinion, what are the rpg with the best tactical combat ?

Just playing through Underrail and that's nailed a lot of it. Each battle feels tense but winnable, and also different each time.

Won't be a popular shout, but I actually think Dragon Age Origins nailed the "action-tactical" approach too. Personally I loved it.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Good,fuck co-op and every multiplayer bit on my single player games.After a long day of work,I want so god damn peace and a nice single player game to enjoy,not to hear some retard talking about work or other menial shit.

Keep your shitty co-op away from my rpgs:argh:

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
My sister and I co-op RPGs all the time and greatly enjoy it, so I hope Larian continues having that as an option. I mean, it was an option in Baldur's Gate 1/2, and even if you didn't use it for multiplayer, you could at least abuse it to create your whole party yourself, which was nice. Wish we could do that in D:OS2 also. I love full party creation.

But yeah, telling Larian "we want more story lol!!1" is pretty retarded. People often make fun of the silly humor in D:OS1, but that wasn't even the worst part of the writing - it was the "epic" stuff they had to shove in, where your characters get sucked through time and space, and then some goddess tells you that you are the chosen ones with a special destiny on the tapestry of fate, reincarnated heroes, bla bla bla. Only you can save the universe from the dark something, etc. The story went from small-scale and whimsical to world-shattering generically epic in the blink of an eye, and I much preferred the former. I think BG1 had the kind of narrative a D:OS game should go for: a light adventure story with only a few hints at something grander that lead up to a big final battle.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
my sister and I co-op all the time
latest

and greatly enjoy it

Last edited:

ikarinokami

Augur
the nice thing is that everyone can see the three things you need. story, tactical combat and character progression. I'm also happy that most people hate prewritten characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom