Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What would Grimoire's flaws be? Genuinely curious

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
balance?
rating_sawyer.gif
rating_sawyer.gif
rating_sawyer.gif

poor accessibility (if you consider that a flaw in a retro blobber)
Obviously bugs

What else? Any fundamental design flaws? I'm honestly trying here

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
A current flaw is certainly the amount of XP needed to level up vs XP you get from monsters. This will probably be fixed soon and used to be different where people reached Level 27 towards the endgame vs Level 9-10 right now.

Other than that and the things you mentioned, there isn't much.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Point taken. We could add slow level progression to the list.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
  • The user interface is garbage (can't remap keys, can't change font size, can't alt-tab in fullscreen, limited resolutions etc.)
  • Poor inventory system
  • Poor documentation (KoTC has fantastic in-game documentation)
  • No quality control or beta testing resulting in a lot of bugs (CTD on release is unacceptable)
  • Strange balance problems like the OP bard sleep and hirelings
There's more, but it's a testament to the game that many people are able to continue playing and enjoying Grimoire despite all of the above.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The user interface is garbage (can't remap keys, can't change font size, can't alt-tab in fullscreen, limited resolutions etc.)

The UI needs more work, but most of your examples aren't even close to important.

Poor inventory system

With the speed scrolling button it's okay. It's the same as in Lands of Lore.

Strange balance problems like the OP bard sleep and hirelings

Yeah, at least the Halcyonic Lyre has been toned down. As to strong hirelings, they're there for beginners to make life easier.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
A current flaw is certainly the amount of XP needed to level up vs XP you get from monsters. This will probably be fixed soon and used to be different where people reached Level 27 towards the endgame vs Level 9-10 right now.

This is a bit of a conspiracy theory, but maybe this was to fix bugs with high-level characters?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Other than that and the things you mentioned, there isn't much.

Could you really had reached level 27 in earlier versions of Grimoire?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I prefer fast level progression a la MMX, wonder if Grimoire will ever have it.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
- Inventory (it really needs a fix before crafting comes)
- Sometimes the game is a bit too random. Same fight can be impossible or cakewalk, bosses can be fought solo or with extra goons
- Linear "critical path". I.e. you have to have charm, have to know to charm certain NPC and then ask a certain question. A couple of more hints could be useful in some places. Having to rely on "mindread" to find out what the NPC will talk about is silly.
- Lockpicking is useless
- Itemization, less boring (tier 1 chest, tier 2 chest) treasures, more interesting uniques (THAT AREN'T ALL CURSED).
- General ease of life improvements (quick casting spells etc.)

That'd be it probably for me. Maybe more combat and visual diversity for the end game? And more boring locations and NPCs could use some extra love as well.

Could you really had reached level 27 in earlier versions of Grimoire?

You can and could grind ad infinitum.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
If you're serious than the most obvious in-your-face problem is UI and everything around it. The game doesn't understand widescreen which was the dominant screen type for most of its development type. So you get black bars. The game slaps its logo in a middle of a screen all the time yet it doesn't have space for a working inventory. The game doesn't know about tooltips. The game does know about context menus but doesn't apply those where it should, the way you select actions for your characters is beyond retarded. It uses very bad terminology, half of actions have mysterious applications, separate magic screen is a disgrace.

I don't care if it had ASCII graphics (in fact it'd be an improvement) but its UI is not oldschool, it's just dumb and not playtested. I don't care if there's a masterpiece behind that, my time and nerves shouldn't be obliterated by this shit.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I don't like the extreme randomness of what you get on level up. It's like a constant game of gimp or pimp.

To be fair you get a portion of points to distribute yourself. That's not extreme randomness.

?

You can get something like 2 HP, 3 MP and 1/2/5 skillpoints OR 7 HP, 15 MP and 1/5/20 skillpoints on the same caster on the same level up. Or any combination of those for that matter.

If you don't save scum level ups you could end up with a level 5 caster wit 20 something mana and dick all for skills... that's bad.

Edit: I'm not talking about attribute points, If that's what you meant. The impact of those is limited in comparison to what I outlined above.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I don't like the extreme randomness of what you get on level up. It's like a constant game of gimp or pimp.

To be fair you get a portion of points to distribute yourself. That's not extreme randomness.

?

You can get something like 2 HP, 3 MP and 1/2/5 skillpoints OR 7 HP, 15 MP and 1/5/20 skillpoints on the same caster on the same level up. Or any combination of those for that matter.

If you don't save scum level ups you could end up with a level 5 caster wit 20 something mana and dick all for skills... that's bad.

Edit: I'm not talking about attribute points, If that's what you meant. The impact of those is limited in comparison to what I outlined above.

Grimoire is old-school my friend. You should accept rolls, just like in the old days.

This game literally cures OCD developed by min-maxing and save-scumming.

Last edited:

Lord Andre

Arcane
Thankfully, we've got veins of steel and plenty of substance tolerance!

I was exploring around and had something like 5 chars 800 to 999 exp away from level up. I stumbled unto one of them miniquests things that immediately gave me 1000 xp and leveled up more than half my chars. Naturally there's no chance to get good rolls on 5 chars one after the other.
:x

So I reloaded, set random encounters to onslaught and grinded that 1000 xp until my chars were leveled up to perfection.

Then I did the miniquest and got the rest of the xp. :dealwithit:

Lord Andre

Arcane
Sounds very unfun, do you enjoy that

Not necessarily. My original suggestion in this thread was that the randomness on level up needs to be toned down. If the rest of the game is good though, I don't mind it. It's better than winding up with a total gimp party later on thus making the last part of the game a frustrating slog.

If the impact on the strength of the party wasn't so extreme I'd roll with it.

For example if I get 12 mana instead of 15, I'll roll with it. If I get 4, I reload.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom