Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

"Well, it's a bit of a long story. My father was a collector or antiquities and curios. He had been collecting these objects in search of something for years. He never explained what he was seeking but one day dissappeared after receiving an item. A few of my friends and I went in search of him. We eventually found him in the crypts of a religious cult. The cult claimed the dead of the city as their, I guess you would say, property. In those catacombs we found what was left of my father. He had become the possessed vessel of Ikthanabu Xul. We were eventually able to talk to him and discuss an agreement to help him in exchange for releasing my father.

The task we had to complete did not turn out exactly as we had expected. Come to find out, the cult had an issue with the King of the city. One evening they attacked, swiftly cutting down the kings guards and destroying his defensees. They took on monstrous forms as the slaughtered anyone in their path. To add to the city's misfortune, an army had been camping outside of the gates and began their assault on the city during the confusion. With both the cult and the army attacking it became a losing situation. I eventually was captured along with the king amd his consort. The consort, not fond of the king left him in the hands of the invading army as wearly made our escape. I travelled with the King's former consort for a few weeks until we eventually parted ways in order to throw off the army's pursuit.
I lost track of my friends during this time and do not know their fate.

I found some scraps of script in my father's scriptorium prior to the attack and was able to piece together information on Ghul. That led me to his tower and eventually to information on the Al-Hakim text which is supposedly in the possession of this weasel. The Al-Hakim text should have the amswers I seek to rid my father of his posession."

L'ennui

Magister
"Ah, I see. Nasty business all around, hmm? Perhaps there is yet some hope for your father, we shall see."

Urash looks around the room some more, then decides he has to step outside for some fresh air.

nikolokolus

Arcane
As Urash steps outside, Solon starts to groan and moan in the corner (about 10 minutes after getting laid out by Borric's massive right cross). He doesn't appear to be fighting against his bonds, but his eyes go wide at the sight of Amon rummaging through his belongings.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash sees Ríona striding purposefully across the village Green headed straight for Solon's tower ...

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"This is all so unseemly. I'll help carry Cormac if you're ready to move him, Marcan."

L'ennui

Magister
"Druness! I... Uh... This Solon fellow... Well, there's been an incident. He carelessly unleashed elementals and one comrade Cormac has just been slain. We also have reason to think Solon is in league with a dangerous necromancer... We were about to alert you and the King!"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Riona stops about 2 feet from Urash and plants her hands on her hips, "Were you now? Well take me to Solon, we're going to get to the bottom of whatever has been going on here." She glowers a bit, and then waves her hand at Solon's door, "Well don't just stand there like a slack-jawed blatherskite, go on."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán is seen walking right behind Ríona. With a look of annoyance no doubt similar to Urash.

nikolokolus

Arcane
While Marcán and then Urash parley with Ríona, Amon busies himself searching high and low. In his investigations, he uncovers a trapdoor leading to an earthen-walled and floored root cellar filled with a few dozen barrels; he prises open the lids and turns several taps and discovers pickled vegetables, barrels of wine, mead and whiskey and a store of barley and oats, but nothing else of note. The rickety ladder that leads up to a trapdoor in the towers flat roof puts you on a small portico. On the deck of the portico is a crudely carved series of concentric circles and small bits of colored glass, lumps of coal, and other common rocks placed at uneven intervals on the concentric circles -- one object per circle. (tTo decipher what it might mean, make an INTx1 roll, or a normal Art (Astronomy) or Art (Astrology) roll.)

Ríona walks up the crumbling steps of Solon's tower and opens the front door without knocking and with a sense of absolute authority. She very calmly surveys the extensive damage to the western side of the common room, looks down at Cormac's badly burned corpse and frowns deeply when her eyes settle on the bound and gagged Solon mewling pitifully. Solon starts to become very agitated and strains against his bonds fitfully and attempts to shout through the wadded up rag stuffed into his mouth. Ríona impassively points at Borric, "Take that gag out of his mouth."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash unties the rope from the back of Solon's neck and he spits out a rag stuffed into his mouth, "Ríona! Thank the gods you're here. These men are thieves without honor. Get Segovax and his men and have them seized at once!"

Ríona only seems to be half-listening to Solon as she lets her eyes move around the room, surveying the extensive damage impassively, "These men say that you have bound elementals or daemons here and that you had ensorceled a man turning him to stone. You know how I feel about the black arts Solon. I allowed you to stay here on condition that you respect our ways and turn your back on this abominable practice, now it seems my generosity may have been misplaced. What do you have to say for yourself?"

She then turns and makes a subtle flourish with her hand and utters a whispered syllable, when she turns back her eyes are aglow with an eldritch green light. She motions to Urash and the others assembled, "Go on. Tell me what really happened here. Lie to me if you dare."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric starts, "Long story very short, we tried to ask this fat one what he knew of the Sorceror, but he grew affrighted at the very mention of the name. Sensing aught amiss, our Arawnite looked around and accidentally unleashed a being made of fire, and lost his life as we fought to subdue it. The Man-of-Kor saved us all by throwing a bottle that had an ice-thing at the fire-thing. In the hubbub, this Stygian emerges from stone, claiming to have been trapped by the fat one, who meanwhile gets busy insulting us all, especially our deceased comrade. I knocked the fat one out and tied him up till we could understand what his real intentions are." he pauses, and adds to Solon, "I'm no thief, and unlike you, I'm no craven. Call me a thief again and I will not hold my punches back."

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric starts, "Long story very short, we tried to ask this fat one what he knew of the Sorceror, but he grew affrighted at the very mention of the name. Sensing aught amiss, our Arawnite looked around and accidentally unleashed a being made of fire, and lost his life as we fought to subdue it. The Man-of-Kor saved us all by throwing a bottle that had an ice-thing at the fire-thing. In the hubbub, this Stygian emerges from stone, claiming to have been trapped by the fat one, who meanwhile gets busy insulting us all, especially our deceased comrade. I knocked him out and tied him up till we could understand what his real intentions are." he pauses, and adds to Solon, "I'm no thief, and unlike you, I'm no craven. Call me a thief again and I will not hold my punches back."
Wait, did you punch out Llywelyn ap Gruffydd's new character Amon? I thought you punched out Solon when he was blustering and name calling?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric starts, "Long story very short, we tried to ask this fat one what he knew of the Sorceror, but he grew affrighted at the very mention of the name. Sensing aught amiss, our Arawnite looked around and accidentally unleashed a being made of fire, and lost his life as we fought to subdue it. The Man-of-Kor saved us all by throwing a bottle that had an ice-thing at the fire-thing. In the hubbub, this Stygian emerges from stone, claiming to have been trapped by the fat one, who meanwhile gets busy insulting us all, especially our deceased comrade. I knocked him out and tied him up till we could understand what his real intentions are." he pauses, and adds to Solon, "I'm no thief, and unlike you, I'm no craven. Call me a thief again and I will not hold my punches back."
Wait, did you punch out Llywelyn ap Gruffydd's new character Amon? I thought you punched out Solon when he was blustering and name calling?
It was Solon. Hang on, I'll clean that post up. Too many pronouns.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ríona listens intently to Borric's recounting of events in the tower and nods faintly. "Well Solon, what do you have to say for yourself?"

Solon mewls and whimpers a bit, "Miss Ríona, how can you take the word of these interlopers over my own? They've ruined my home. They've ruined years of research and planning." He stops and his eyes flit from the Druness to Amon, "Yes, I ensorceled him, but I tell you the truth. I found him snooping through my things; caught him red-handed putting his filthy Stygian paws on my precious books and scrolls, and because of this bumbling idiot (he points to Cormac's corpse) they're all gone. All ruined. What right did he have to go touching another man's things in his own home? I tell you this is an outrage! I've always taken great care with my craft and has not the village benefited from my salves, poultices and unguents? I swear upon the burning eyes of Mitra that I have never cast my sorceries within the walls of Dinas Dardanii; I have obeyed your edict to the letter madam."

Ríona listens intently to Solon's words and cocks her head slightly to the side, "Most of your words have a ring of truth Solon, but I detect a certain coyness in your answers. You say you didn't practice your black arts within the walls of Dinas Dardanii . . . but I'm guessing you've been a very busy bee, just outside the walls. Hmmm, am I wrong? Also, this man turned to stone, perhaps it wasn't your sorcery that turned him, but it was certainly a sorcery. Do you possess a device? Some agent, a bound demon or gnome perhaps?"

Solon licks his fat lips, and remains silent.

Ríona scowls at Solon's silence, "So we have the truth of it." she then looks directly at Amon, "tell me what you were looking for and why you had broken into this place."

Having Urash get Amon works!

Amon looks at Ríona with a serious look. "I did enter Solon's house, as he had left the door wide open. It looked as if the building was abandoned. I entered to see if Solon had fled or still resided within. Solon is an apprentice of Koren Ghul and he is a dangerous man. When I went in search of Ghul for answers on how to free my father from a dangerous being, I found he had bound a demon in his tower. Solon also studies demonology and he has admitted so to all of us. I found some glyphs on the portico which could be being used by Solon for a nefarious purpose. As you can see from what happened here it is true that Solon is a dangerous man. Who know's what other frightening horrors he has contained within these walls. "

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ríona listens to Amon's explanation showing no sign of emotion, "Well you certainly believe everything you say ... Almost. The door to Solon's tower; 'wide open' I believe you just said? That isn't true, is it? You entered his tower without invitation and thus broke the rules of hospitality. If Solon had killed you, he'd have been well within his rights. However, since he choose to imprison you as punishment and that imprisonment is now ended I consider the matter settled." She scowls at the flummoxed Solon. "However, you are no longer welcome here Amon of Stygia. You are banished and may never again enter Dinas Dardanii or you will be flogged and dragged beyond our lands behind a horse. You have an hour to make your preparations. As for you Solon, you brought black magic into my village. You knew our rules and you disobeyed my edict. The penalty is death. Somebody pick him up and bring him along."

Solon cries and begs as Ríona turns her back and walks outside.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab grumbles, "I'll take Solon. What will we do now?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom