Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Realms of Arkania: Star Trail HD - Part 71: Phex Temple 15 - WTF Ending

If a party member dies, we should:

• Total voters

Eriador

Arbiter
All that does is this:

:obviously: That is incredibly noisy.

hqdefault.jpg

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 23: Lowangen 4 - Hall of Might and/or Power

EHfzWoL.jpg

Well, that's that. For our last question, we ask about the Salamander Stone, but we have to do him one last favor.

cEXTAFy.jpg

We can't actually open that package or look at it to see what's inside.

gdw3vJm.jpg

Esn8IN8.jpg

I don't know about any Halls of Might, but Hall of Power seems close enough.

QToQJ7G.jpg

Here it is!

dlT65X9.jpg

We want Master Deringorn!

:obviously: "He is not in the academy at the moment. Try his home address. Master Deringorn lives to the north of town in Old Town. It's a small house right by the wall. And now, if you'll excuse me." The man shuts the door.

rG2VAsv.jpg

We don't have the guts for what, pleb? We've survived limbo, undead dwarves from hell and handel abschließen, we can do anything!

:yeah:

Anyway, we wait until morning, so that Deringorn can get his beauty sleep.

PnkpIQW.jpg

:obviously: "Do come in."

:rpgcodex: "Why, certainly!"

WlS7pMr.jpg

Uh oh.

:obviously: "Now, you unsuspecting dupes - go and give Dragan my best regards as well. Tell him I won't give up!!"

:obviously: Master Deringorn gestures to his companions. They release their hold on you somewhat before throwing you bodily out into the street.

Not sure what that was all about.

C3PSFiR.jpg

Let's return to Dragan for our last question.

ESWKanI.jpg

ANQKHSW.jpg

Well, we already knew about that place from our first question, but whatever. Next time, we go to that tavern!

Also, the skill and spell descriptions in the character menu now include the attributes that affect them :incline:.

Eriador

Arbiter
We have to leave 2 of our companions behind in Lowangen, so you can temporarily join in for the expedition to the swamps after I decide who gets the boot. Then if someone else dies, you get their place.

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 24: Lowangen 5 - Chasing Gavron

qGGuCG9.jpg

Our group finds themselves at the Orc Death tavern, waiting for Gavron. Seems he's not around yet, so vazha spends some time by singing a song:

Song of Star Trail

IGNIFAXIUS FLAMING SPEAR!
I'm starting to get depressed from screwing around here!

MAGIC FIRE! MELTING STEEL!
The evil is only getting stronger while we're waiting here!

Straps and shackles surround you and force you into my ban!
Dammit, in the mud again!

You're finally realizing my SUPERIOR POWERS!
Are we dawdlers?

Carnifilo Frenzy, craze and bloodthirst be free!
Remember my face, it's the last you will see!

Sharp eyes, steady hand,
from arrow to guard a magic band!

Penetrizzel wood and stone, look inside a stranger's room!
I'm going to search for another group if we're not going to take a break any time soon!

Truly a masterpiece!

:bravo:

2l9rrZE.jpg

Gavron's still not showing up, so we move around from table to bar, to another table chatting up the guests. Like this drunk.

Ha8djYV.jpg

Also, another jester shows up with a racist joke. Bigot, elves are people too! :argh:

uH7XtZT.jpg

Meh, screw them. We'll go to another table. What's the worst that can happen-

B9Vxtag.jpg

Apparently, this.

kFwomTb.jpg

The hell, some jerk on a fancy horse rode by, slapped vazha and then just rode away? Where's the "initiate combat" option? :decline:

Zj1O4Uf.jpg

Apparently, we can't return to the tavern right away, so we rest for 24 hours.

GIYPCNe.jpg

When we enter the tavern again, our friend Gavron shows up pretty soon. After him!

LajJAZF.jpg

You can't escape us now, Gavron! The magical D20 will be ours once again!

TZi9hro.jpg

It would probably be better if only one of us followed him.

QrAJ6j4.jpg

Jimmious has a Hide skill of 3, which is still better then Azira's 2, so I choose him. Maybe we'll be lucky...

pvoxEJT.jpg

Guess not...

5FUKEbA.jpg

Hell yeah! Way to go, Jimmious! He gets a knife out of that.

:obviously: The thief stops at the next corner, turns around and shakes his fist threatening against you. When you start approaching him, he hurries to make tracks.

Now, I could start a door to door search to find the house of his accomplice, but that would be boring to write about, so...

*reload*

IG5j9Yw.jpg

This time, I choose Azira and it seems this was the right choice all along, since I totally forgot about magic. You couldn't use any of that elven magic while breaking into the exhibition hall, even though it would be useful. Especially Silence.

Also, I thought about not learning that spell now, since I though it was only needed in Finsterkoppen to enter the city, but now I see I've made the right choice in raising it.

VTXaEJf.jpg

Anyway, Azira turns into a dog.

KYXz50D.jpg

kofnbyo.jpg

1TyVK1b.jpg

KsMe4b0.jpg

Yes, that's the place!

2bkknWE.jpg

Onward! No one steals our magical D20 and gets away with it!

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 25: Lowangen 6 - The D20 Reclaimed! (with Nevill's Horriphobus)

dMsgnw2.jpg

We are here for the Salamander Stone, AKA the magical D20 of destiny, hand it over! We don't share our dice with anyone!

8KpMMIW.jpg

Well, first we ask him about something to gain info, but you can be sure we are coming right back to kick his ass!

Hand over the stone, asshole!

:obviously: "What Salamander Stone?"

Playing stupid, eh?

:rpgcodex: "THAT Salamander Stone! The Elven artifact, for crying out loud!"

:obviously: "Oh, the Salamander Stone! Well, yes, but it isn't here! How on Threa did you get that idea?"

I think that should be Ethra, not Threa. Unless they've changed it.

:rpgcodex: "We've been told."

:obviously: "Well, you've been told wrong then. But, I wish you good luck with your search. This seems to be of some importance to you."

:rpgcodex:"No way, scoundrel! Give us the stone or you're going to meet Boron!"

lousuo3.jpg

Hell yeah, we are gonna kick his ass!

HOdtmk1.jpg

Well, there's six of them, the only ones who have weapons are Nevill (whos is useless in a fight) Azira (who doesn't have any arrows) and Morkar, who actually has a great weapon in Artherion's sword, but can't kill all of them by himself. Everyone else is unarmed, so they can't hit them and even if they did, they'd probably do 0 damage. Also, only Azira has armor, since the orcs took that too. So, wipe?

Ha ha ha, no. We have to win this fight, not kill them. The only ones who actually do anything substantial in this fight are Morkar, who is the only fighter who does any damage...

v9u2Dkw.jpg

...Azira by spamming Fulminictus at that asshole elf. I've tried to have her use Be my Friend once, but she failed miserably...

fdICvXl.jpg

...and of course, the star of the show, Nevill, first by casting Skelettarius to get us another meatshield...

DnaOFTe.jpg

...and then using the rest of his AE on Horriphobus spam.

HGCmyJa.jpg

I also had him cast Ignifaxius one time, but that was probably just a waste of AE.

AgUlgYO.jpg

Nevill casts Horriphobus on everyone except for Ailian and that one blond elf, so they all retreat and leave Ailian alone, at our mercy.

PMXxeS3.jpg

Everyone else gangs up on him with their fists to waste his parry, while Azira spams Fulminictus and Morkar shanks him from behind with Artherion's sword.

k0M7XTE.jpg

Nevill casts Horriphobus at the last remaining enemy, that one mercenary, who was busy dueling his skeleton this whole battle.

TnAJXKP.jpg

After a while, Ailian finally falls. That's what you get for stealing our D20s! We had our names engraved on it and everything!

qRvlyYW.jpg

That last mercenary finally flees, so we've won! Woohoo!

nkYywN3.jpg

We get a fancy robe for Nevill, a bunch of weapons, a spear only Azira can really use, but won't since we also now have arrows and some armor. Nice! But no D20s! :argh:

jmLwJ8v.jpg

Yeah, we are gonna raid Ailian's place in search for the magical D20. Surely it must be there somewhere. Maybe we'll even take some of his own dice. And action figures. And tear up all of his anime posters, call him a nerd, even though he's dead and then set fire to that body pillow with his waifu on it. That will show him!

:yeah:

gPXm7qx.jpg

Sadly, no action figures or body pillows, but we have the D20 and some of his LARPing equipment.

kK3QudK.jpg

Maybe we'll find his amiibo collection if we search some more. We could sell that for a lot of Ducats!

:obviously: There really isn't anything else to find here. You should really get a move on now so you will be gone when the town guard arrives.

Damn bastard, he must have stashed that somewhere else!

YlbjrRt.jpg

Well, now we have the D20. Hopefully it's the right one, as from what I've heard, there's also a fake one. Well, it SHOULD be the right one!

WQm5tT4.jpg

We also find the backstory of Ailian's DnD character, written in Sindarin. Heh, what a nerd!

Next, we'll go secure passage out of this dump!

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn this is going fast! GJ man. I'm now up-to-date. I wouldn't mind if you threw in a tag when talking about "my" char too :P

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Is there any reason you're playing this HD version? I remembered this game's 2D art way more fondly than this monstrosity.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's the point of LPs to sample games and share that experience with others. People know what ST is, but not this. After the travesty that was BoD I was pleasantly surprised to see this in a semi-acceptable state, even though I would never play this over the original.

The prosperous 3D models and occasional 'abschliessen'/undead dwarves from HELL! are amusing, too.

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 26: Lowangen 7 - Boreale in a Well (or maybe it's a fountain)

HohR94E.jpg

We have to find a way out of the city and apparently, Black Jandora can help us. We find the house easily, but once again have to wait till morning to be let in.

2Z5Cwzj.jpg

In the morning, we are greeted by this... well, let's call it a "child".

:obviously: "Just hold on a minute there..." He turns around and calls something undecipherable back into the building.

KImKJm8.jpg

el2cdEM.jpg

Show us the secret exit!

:obviously: "It may be possible to arrange something, but that is quite expensive..."

:rpgcodex: "Just how much did you have in mind?"

:obviously: "Now, if you were able to part with, say, 500 pieces of gold, I would be able to help you."

Well, if we had Reinhardt the Jolly. Assuming we take the average of 15 silver per performance, we could use his "arobatics" to get that kind of money in... *makes some calculations* one week of in-game time. Nice!

But we don't have him, so we would have to relly on vazha and his singing, for which he gets about 2 silver average, which means he would have to sing for approximately... 2 MONTHS??? Screw that!

...I miss Reinhardt :negative:.

:rpgcodex: "Set it off against the favors you still owe Dragan."

:obviously: "Aha, so that's how the cookie crumbles! All right, but that still leaves... 150 gold Ducats - so, how about it?"

:argh: Well, this would take vazha about two weeks of in-game time to collect, so screw that too!

:rpgcodex: "We haven't that much."

:obviously: "Tsk tsk - well, if you have no money, you will have to learn to do without a lot of things. Come back when you've made some cash."

MI6zM5S.jpg

Fortunately, the... "little boy" offers us a way out of this.

IgXLPwt.jpg

Well, now we have to get that toy, so that we can save about 150 Ducats, which sounds like a good deal to me!

4pltMrP.jpg

This well is the closest to the Tsa temple, so it should be the right one.

The game calls all of the wells "fountains" though.

Q3SUnoO.jpg

Seems like it is!

h5BEOSO.jpg

It seems Boreale is the only one here who actually has any skill in climbing. Well, about time he did something useful! Other then hitting things with an axe.

Bih7i8R.jpg

This happens automatically, as you can see, the game doesn't actually roll for climbing now.

Mv0NksJ.jpg

I guess this is the part that tests your climbing skill.

:obviously: Against all odds the darkness down here matches the proverbial bear's behind. "Throw down a torch" it echos from the well's floor.

NTdxnSw.jpg

:lol:

Somehow, Boreale managed to fail that Intuition check, despite the fact he has 13 Intuition. Bad luck, I guess.

4jtnT1w.jpg

LcDWIzT.jpg
¨

7Fg14H6.jpg

Alright, finally we have that stupid toy, now we can-

VLONltf.jpg

Oooh, maybe it's something valuable, let's just take a peek-

uWzIYW4.jpg

sP2XjFQ.jpg

This game loves to troll people, doesn't it.

:obviously: Finally, you are released!

yUwWBcN.jpg

:rage:

:obviously: The prison guard hands you your equipment and then you can finally leave the dungeon.

Well, after we were released, I ran over to Jandora's place as fast as I could, but the game crashed on the way there (second time in total it crashed in Lowangen) and I didn't save, so I've reloaded an earlier save before this event happened.

Thus, we actually get to keep out weapons. Well, I'm not complaining!

Next time, we return the toy to that... "kid".

Eriador

Arbiter
Is there any reason you're playing this HD version? I remembered this game's 2D art way more fondly than this monstrosity.

Because it needs to be preserved for the future generations of Codexians to see.

Ok, seriously now.

1) I got this game as a gift and was going to play this regardless, so why not make an LP? I imagine some people are curious about how it plays and if it's any better then the disastrous launch of the Blade of Destiny remake.

2) I could LP the original Star Trail, since the game came with the original version if you bought it in Early Access, but there already was an LP of the original Star Trail on the Codex (although I can't seem to be able to locate it anymore).

3) Maybe it's not obvious, but I actually enjoy it, despite all of the obvious problems, If I didn't, this LP probably wouldn't make it past Gashok. I didn't play the original Realms of Arkania games (I *think* I've played Shadows over Riva for about ten minutes, waaay back in the day), so this is all new and exciting for me. Keep this in mind. I did play Blade of Destiny HD.

4) While the graphics in the original Star Trail might be better (I really like how the temple screens look), the remake atleast doesn't have that old-timey thing where you have to look up a random word from the manual anytime you want to save or load your game. Which is a tiny plus in its favor, even if it might be the only one.

5) It has some pretty hilarious things :D

Last edited:

Eriador

Arbiter
Part 27: Lowangen 8 - Who Shall We Leave Behind?

F6Qmln9.jpg

We return the little "kid" his toy.

eENEKsp.jpg

:obviously: "So, ask in the castle of the congretation in the north of the city for Master Eolan and tell him that you want to sweep the courtyard, got it?!"

M37quhD.jpg

I guess this is what she means?

LFgmFmn.jpg

Pretty tiny. Is that just an entrance or what?

AOWV7Cp.jpg

We want Master Eolan.

:obviously: "Just a moment!" The man closes the peephole. You hear footsteps from behind the gate. After that, nothing at all happens.

We wait.

:obviously: Several moments pass before you hear steps approaching from behind the gate. Then, a white-haired man opens the peephole. "What do you want?"

:rpgcodex: "We want to sweep the yard."

:obviously: "Well, okay, I guess it couldn't hurt, but I'm not paying more than a crown to each of you!" The peephole is closed, and you hear the gate unlock and the bolt draw back. Then, the white-haired man lets you in.

fIEj7UQ.jpg

We want that exit! This place sucks!

(Btw, we CAN actually sweep the yard, for 1 silver per party member.)

:obviously: "I might be able to help you in that matter, but first you have to do me a small favor."

s6LKGRP.jpg

Unfortunately, we have to agree.

:obviously: "The man we are looking for is called Agdan Dragenfeld, but he is on his way to Svellmia under a false name. He is a week behind schedule. Agdan was planning to cross the swamps because anything else would have amounted to a detour. Also, he wasn't too keen on being captured by the Orcs on the Thasch plains."

:obviously: "As he is on a secret mission, I cannot tell you much more than this. Anyway, you will recognize Agdan by his ring - it is a family heirloom and bears the Dragenfeld family crest of a dragon's head."

AHBK6Vl.jpg

We haven't made up our minds yet, so the second option.

YQ6cQzx.jpg

YIzaXyX.jpg

Well, looks like we need to say goodbye to two of our companions for a while. But first, let's "handel abschließen" some supplies for the road-

XmiOgg1.jpg

vader_NOOOO.jpg
So, who should we leave behind? Tbh, I have a rough list of party members in order of usefulness. :smug:

Also, Nevill, add this to the Let's Play database thread as an ongoing LP, or else your character will stay in Lowangen forever!

:evilcodex:

Last edited:

Eriador

Arbiter
I've just replayed one boss-fight about 30 times and then the game crashed :D

That witch is almost as bad as those dwarves. Plus Paralyse seems to randomly end.

Eriador

Arbiter
SPOILERS: Our Current Party

AEKjplF.jpg

Yeah, we ran out of volunteers again :D

Vazha and Morkar are alive and well in Lowangen. Morkar is a really great character, but it was either him or Boreale and Boreale was with us the whole way, so I took him, even though the only things he is better at then Morkar are climbing and drinking booze.

Eriador

Arbiter
OMG, "Arobatics" is the best money making skill. Each successful performace gives around 17 silver.

Who knew, Jugglers are actually useful in this game :D

pick pocketing/ haggling is all you need. Rogues ftw

Pickpocketing is actually waaay inferior to acrobatics, so far as moneymaking goes. Damn jugglers and their wealth.

Btw, any volunteers? We need one more for the third expedici on to the swamp and I have no doubt that we will have need of more before the game ends.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
OMG, "Arobatics" is the best money making skill. Each successful performace gives around 17 silver.

Who knew, Jugglers are actually useful in this game :D

pick pocketing/ haggling is all you need. Rogues ftw

Pickpocketing is actually waaay inferior to acrobatics, so far as moneymaking goes. Damn jugglers and their wealth.

rly? Did they nerf it or something? In the original, if you started with a rogue, you could steall all the equipment/ herbs you could carry right at the start in Lowangen, while acrobatics and music required lots of save scumming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom