Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Warrior / Berserker / Ranger / Assassin / Bard / Thaumaturge / Necromancer / Priest

All level 9, no advanced identify. Also no such spell book.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Warrior / Berserker / Ranger / Assassin / Bard / Thaumaturge / Necromancer / Priest

According to the wiki it's only on the sage spell list so without lucking out with a book no other mage gets it.

BTW, how far in the game are you ?

I'm trying to assay if you really can't get more than the reported ~10 levels by the end. Are there any farmable monsters late game ? Like a place where you can turn on onslaught and farm some xp for an hour or two with good returns ?

How am I

Supposed to squeeze between the bars to get the Book for the Halls of Reflection? I've wandered around a bit but I'm starting to get a little confused about what to do here. Does that mirror from the reservoir have anything to do with it?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
How am I

Supposed to squeeze between the bars to get the Book for the Halls of Reflection? I've wandered around a bit but I'm starting to get a little confused about what to do here. Does that mirror from the reservoir have anything to do with it?
Explore thoroughly.
There's a fountain not too far away.

But my sage automatically assays stuff when I loot it.
rating_negativeman.png

I think quest items are not auto-assayed. I'll cast max super id before I assay those.

But stuff like a broadsword I'll never be able to see in the journal except through oracles or npcs like Smithers.

:negative:

There are a few special locations where you can have items super-identified for you, adding a note in the journal about the item even if you have identified the item already.

Last edited:
How am I

Explore thoroughly.
There's a fountain not too far away.

Jesus Christ in Heaven.

I got myself into a bad habit of not really touching them that I straight up ignored it despite the sign next to the bars. That's what I get!

ukdouble1

Educated
I NEVER got improved ID.
Could it be that we need to know some previous spells to learn the spell? Sometimes it seems to me that there is some kind of dependence, something like a graph connecting the spells available to learning.
He can show the hidden spellbook page to you.
Thx, eldritch page opened. I was hoping that he could raise party skills for money. And i interrogated him for an hour and a half.

ukdouble1

Educated
I noticed an interesting bug. Probably everyone has become accustomed to the fact that when using an object, the number of its charges can not decrease, and sometimes even increases. No one is surprised that 5 stones, when stacked with three, will give 2. But I have an unexpected observation. Sometimes, when using one item, the number of charges in another item increases.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
So I'm in Knossos tower and
I've got the umbilica dagger, but I can't interact with the cobwebs that cover the cocoon or the entrance to the next level. The monolith doesn't seem to do anything after its first interaction. I've read the books and realize I'm probably supposed to sever the silver thread connected to the cocoon, but I have no idea how.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I was having the fight with the Lich and my cleric cast max hold undead before he got to take any actions.

Shouldn't he have had a turn first since spellcasting always goes last ?

Is it because the lich also casts spells and my cleric had better speed ?

What is your experience from this perspective with fighting the lich or other spellcasters ?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Has anyone successfully crafted something ?

Is there a point to hold off some points for metallurgy ?

Is there a point to hold off some points for nature lore ?

Is there a point to hold off some points for poison making skill (mephistics) ?

Any other craft skills I don't know about ?

Give me any kind of successful use of the workbench.

The only info I have is that for some powder/oil I got a journal item description that says mix with this other shit to create x. But I never had both ingredients.

you can use mephistics and alchemist to craft stuff maybe even metallurgy but I haven't found anything yet.

Go to the workshop interface and put stuff like potion of cure light/potion of cure heavy into the bench and then click them, a display box will show and tell you what you can mix them with if your skill is high enough, even if your skill is not high enough it will tell you the amount of skill you need.
Same with unpoisoned weapons like throwing knives or darts, put them on the bench, click them and it will show you the necessary mephistics skill.

Last edited:

ukdouble1

Educated
My fifth party got to the lich. For a week he became much stronger. Now his condition does not affect anything. Cast silence. In log: "Lich silenced". And then, on the same turn, he begins to cast.
it will show you the necessary mephistics skill.
Oh, mephistics is for throwing weapons only?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
My fifth party got to the lich. For a week he became much stronger. Now his condition does not affect anything. Cast silence. In log: "Lich silenced". And then, on the same turn, he begins to cast.
it will show you the necessary mephistics skill.
Oh, mephistics is for throwing weapons only?

Nope, you can poison a gauche for example.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Here are items you can use in craftings that I found so far ( and I really have not tested that much ), if someone wants to update this list and say what the result is it will be really helpful, I might do so when I have time ( but I don't have half of these items )

Cure light wounds + Cure Lt. Condition = Cure heavy wounds
Nematic dust + Mandrake root = Paralysis Powder
Piligrim tea + Lithe liquer = Stone to flesh
Cherry wine + Lithe liquer = ?
Lithe liquer + Cure Lt. Condition = Cure Paralysis
Needle darts + poison dust = poisoned darts
Guache + poison dust = poisoned dagger
Poison dust + hunting knife = poisoned dagger
Poison Dust + Barbed Arrow = Poisoned Arrow
Cure heavy wounds + Cherry wine = neutralize poison
Cure heavy wounds + arsenic = Cure paralysis
Cure heavy wounds + amaranth = Stone to flesh
Cure heavy wounds + nightshade = ?
Burning oil + draconic bile = ?
Burning oil + stink bomb = super burning oil
Burning oil + neutral medium = true seeing
Burning oil + cure light condition = neutralize poison
Paralysis dust + poison dust = medusa dust
Paralysis dust + Hemlock = Viper ashes
Whiterot + Peckle plantain = Stink Bomb
Centaur Bane + ? = ?
Valerian Root + ? = ?
Valerian Root + ? = ?
Valerian Root + ? = ?
Valerian Root + ? = ?
Black Lotus + Arsenic = Poison Dust
Dracaena Petals + Arsenic = Poison Dust
Harpy Crown + Blood Tamarinde = Blink
Woundwort + Amaranth = Bag of Slumber
Woundwort + Cure lt. wounds = Cure Heavy Wounds
Woundwort + Cure lt. condition = Cure Paralysis
Arsenic + Grave Moss = Wolfbane
Arsenic + Coffin Orchid = Sleep Sand

Multiple rows with + ? indicate a different recipe with the same primary ingridient ( but a different secondary )

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've got the umbilica dagger, but I can't interact with the cobwebs that cover the cocoon or the entrance to the next level. The monolith doesn't seem to do anything after its first interaction. I've read the books and realize I'm probably supposed to sever the silver thread connected to the cocoon, but I have no idea how.
You don't interact with
the cobwebs in any way. Think about everything you've learned relating to Knorlos Knossos, and then try something
in the square with the monolith.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
You don't interact with
the cobwebs in any way. Think about everything you've learned relating to Knorlos Knossos, and then try something
in the square with the monolith.
Got it, thanks! Surprising that
Knossos was such a pushover, by the way

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Here are items you can use in craftings that I found so far ( and I really have not tested that much ), if someone wants to update this list and say what the result is it will be really helpful, I might do so when I have time ( but I don't have half of these items )

Cure light wounds + cure light condition = Cure heavy wounds
Nematic dust + mandrake root
piligrim tea + lithe liquer
Cherry wine + Lithe liquer
Needle darts + ? ( probably poison dust , I don't have enough mephistics ) and probably resulting in poison darts...
Guache + ? ( probably poison dust , I don't have enough mephistics )
Poison dust + ? ( probably gauche or needle darts, I don't have enough mephistics )
Cure heavy wounds + Cherry wine = neutralize poison
Cure heavy wounds + arsenic
Cure heavy wounds + amaranth
Cure heavy wounds + nightshade
Burning oil + draconic bile
Burning oil + stink bomb
Burning oil + neutral medium
Burning oil + cure light condition = neutralize poison

Oh wow... the wine actually has a use outside of selling or dropping on the ground.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Would you like me to add to my original list more stuff or post as a new post?

After some more testing:
paralysis dust + poison dust = medusa dust
Paralysis dust + ? ( not enough alchemistry ) = ?

I also wanted to add that the order you choose items actually matters. each recipe has 2 items in it but one is the "active" ( the one you actually click on ) and the other is the "passive" (the one that is not clicked on )
For example: you place poison dust and paralysis dust on your bench (one up and one down , it doesn't matter ) if you click the paralysis dust it will allow you to merge them into medusa dust but if you click the poison dust it will tell you it requires some other item ( again I don't know what it requires since I don't have enough mephistics )

With this new information I'll update my original list then since my assumptions on some items are not true.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
I also noticed that even if you have enough skill, and the merge button is press able (which means you picked the correct 2 items and clicked the correct "active" item ) success is still not 100% guaranteed , there seems to be a skill check and you might get a failed message. However in my testing I just clicked the merge button again several times until I got a success...

Last edited:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
updated recipe for burning oil + stink bomb = super burning oil

I'll try to find some more tomorrow.

BTW, The wiki says you need "Nature Lore skill" to craft but I don't think that's true. The correct skill is "alchemistry".

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
But achemistry is the spell skill of the Thaumaturge. Does it double as a crafting skill?

ukdouble1

Educated
I do not know, it's a bug, exploit or rule, but in order to mix two reagents, do not need to have declared level in alchemy. If long and hard to press the "merge" button, you will succeed (but at the same time there is a chance to lose components and get nothing).

Grimlorn

Arcane
But achemistry is the spell skill of the Thaumaturge. Does it double as a crafting skill?
Many of the items mentioned when you assay them have alchemistry on them in the description. Not sure if that matters. Maybe some are nature lore and some are alchemistry.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron

When you click an item on the bench it tells you what skill you need to mix it and the level of the skill. So far I have seen either alchemistry or mephistics ( alchemistry is much more common ) So the answer to your question is yes. I have not found any items that needs nature lore nor metallurgy but I have some confidence that the latter exists ( Cleve mentioned a lot of the mettalurgy tables are missing but not all , this was pre release though )

Keep in mind that if you click an item and it says "unknown" it does not neccessarly mean this item can not be combined with anything , it just means that it is not the "primary" ingredient of any recipe but it could be a "secondary"
For example if you click a cure light condition potion on the bench it is marked as "unknown" but it is a secondary component to mix with burning oil and also with cure light wounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom