Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Viata

Arcane
Let's be honest here, whoever make a review for Grimoire right now will either be hated (for complaining about the game) or loved(for not complaining about the game), but the end results will be the same: it's not a valid review if it's complaining about things that Cleve is fixing. So I think it's better to wait for V2 to release.

ukdouble1

Educated
It seems to me that most of those present here treat Cleve as an equal. This is fundamentally wrong. We all understand his characteristics, right?
The situation is this: no normal games are released. And it depends only on Cleve, whether there will be another great game, or not. He can leave it in the current state, can make a piece of shit out of it, or can make a candy. And we should all softly on tiptoe, like a toddler parents, follow him and agree with him. Winning in a dispute with him is unworthy. If he tells me "you are shit," and I immediately agree. And if I shall have a sensible idea, I'll say "Yes, I'm shit. You surprisingly quickly guessed. Аnd here's another thing, you need to add to thief more points to the level, otherwise he loses completely to the ranger ". It seems to me that this is the only correct form of dialogue.
I regret that, not knowing what kind of person this is, I turned to him as an adult and adequate. When he again postponed the release date, I offered him a $ 100 bet that the game will not released to the promised date. He banned me in grimoire group in steam. If it were not for this, I could caress his head on the steam forum and talk: "Cleve is good, Cleve is good. Cleve, fix skills. "

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Infinitron, when will felipepepe's Official Codex Review™ be made available?

Yeah, we'll get a longer version of this "balanced" review:

I finished Grimoire in 80hs. While I had a fun experiencet, the total lack of balance meant that I couldn't properly enjoy most of it.

He had a fun experience, but could not enjoy most of it. Makes sense?

Sadly, posting this on the forums made the developer ban me. If he won't be honest about the state the game is, then I can't recommend it.

He admitted that the game is unbalanced - you were claiming that it is totally broken and that he said that. The only one who is being dishonest here, is you.

Question to the snowflake brigade:

What do you disagree with in my assessment? It's a fact that Cleve said the game needs balancing and polishing, yet here we have our felipepepe lying in his Steam review that "the developer won't be honest about the state of the game". I'm sorry, but that's just not true.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Yeah IDK what's the point of reviewing a game that is decided to be better waiting until it's done being patched.

The purpose of a review is to let the consumer (the stupid fucking retard ones) know if they should purchase the product or not. Grimoire warrants a review because it is available for purchase. The review should make clear the version of Grimoire being reviewed, naturally.

Mech

Cipher
Lady Error was butt hurt enough to waste her time going through my post history and retardeding all my posts lol.
Not sure if you think I care, or if someone else cares, but I can assure you the case is neither. Thanks for the chuckle anyway. :lol:

Delterius

Arcane
the game needs balancing and polishing
it's actually balanced
:M

This is splitting hairs: the thread.

That reffered to using OP exploits vs OP bosses, not the whole game.
So you mean you can play the game, start to finish, and have fun, while being disappointed by certain fights towards the late/optional areas?

This reminds me of a certain review posted on Steam which used to recommend the game.

mogwaimon

Magister
I like how Felipepe wrote out a laundry list of reasons why he thought the game was EA material and everyone ignored the actual "This should not be the case in a finished game" points like the unfinishable quests, numerous crashes, and empty filler areas to focus exclusively on the combat balance. Which, yea, isn't that bad in the context of other games where you can break the game if you build your characters in certain ways. That's part of the fun. Where Felipepe seems to be coming from is that you have to break the game to beat the game; according to him you have to play the game in a very specific way to actually beat it. Other games have optimal strategies and sub-par character builds, but you can still technically beat the games with the sub-par builds if you work a little harder and play a little smarter.

Also those saying to wait to review...isn't the point of a review to express an opinion of a game in the state it is actually in, not to adjust for any future patches or content? At least Felipepe took the time to finish it unlike some reviewers who get five minutes into a game and make a snap judgement on whether it's shit or the best thing since sliced bread and spout their flawed opinions all over the net as gospel.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
That reffered to using OP exploits vs OP bosses, not the whole game.
So you mean you can play the game, start to finish, and have fun, while being disappointed by certain fights towards the late/optional areas?

This reminds me of a certain review posted on Steam which used to recommend the game.

Let me repeat this for you:

It's a fact that Cleve said the game needs balancing and polishing, yet here we have our felipepepe lying in his Steam review that "the developer won't be honest about the state of the game". I'm sorry, but that's just not true.

And he won't recommend the game based on that. Quote:

If he won't be honest about the state the game is, then I can't recommend it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There's a wild case of mass hysteria in this thread, which is surprising coming from some, not so much for others.

The idea that Cleve will ban people for saying his game is flawed is provably false. http://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471968797465160274/#c1471968797465923143

Cleve said:
Grimoire is unbalanced. It has suffered from piecemeal editing of monsters without the global overview being present for years. These issues will be ironed out in V2 where whole genera of monstrum will be gauged incrementally and adjustments made to them to reflect their level and context. At present you have some fights that are way too hard for too little XP. I just have not tightened this up yet with so much else to do. It will be straightened out shortly after it is ascertained there are no serious bugs left in the game. We are almost to that stage now. There are incredible items in the game - but you will almost never find anything spectacular in the regular supermixer chests. They are designed to be rather blah and generic. The incredible stuff you have to hunt for and often like Caliburnus they won't be found in a chest. The items in the supermixer chests are to give your party average equipment and supplies of average magic items.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471967615881833816/#c1471967615882263324
The game is currently very, very broken in terms of balance
Right now with the game in its semi-complete state
... because you have played it I am sure you would agree that with the exploits patched and some data refined it could become a very, very difficult game at the higher levels. Without the essential cheats and bard hacks some battles would not be one-sided and in this first release many might have complained it was just too hard. Getting it properly balanced so that novice is reasonable and SUPERHERO is nigh impossible is the goal of game balancing.

Note: "Grimoire is unbalanced" is not "GRIMOIRE IS TOTALLY BROKEN." Grimoire is a perfectly playable piece of software, to declare it totally broken is utterly nuts, completely untrue.

Also note that Cleve didn't ban that person who called it broken and semi-complete. Hmm I wonder why. Perhaps it's because he didn't attribute an inaccurate statement to Cleve regarding the state of the game?.

And regarding sparse optional later-game maps and the question of whether or not Grimoire is "finished"

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ead-resurrection.75724/page-1287#post-5217395
So... that save thing was fixed, right? Of course. That's all fixed up and ready to go. When the patch is issued, people will go right on playing the V1 map until they start a new game, at which time the V2 updated map will be loaded.

I'm hoping there are no serious bugs that affect gameplay or the completion of the game. I have not seen any in a long, long time. Tweaks and imbalances will be addressed in the update patches.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ead-resurrection.75724/page-1304#post-5221750
It's going to be released.

V1 is going to be all that was promised.

V2 is going to be mind melting double joy heavenly roleplaying awesomeness beyond time.

V3 will cause players to leave their bodies and travel astrally to other worlds.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ead-resurrection.75724/page-1304#post-5221778
I've already got the Astral Plane, look at the list of regions.

There's not that much in the Astral Plane right now. I originally had big plans for this area. I was almost thinking of it as a jumping off point for DLC before anybody knew what DLC meant. I saw the Astral Plane could be a gate into other adventures. Q'orl the Dragon was originally supposed to be the guide when we got there to tell us how to find gates to other levels from here.

That all got pretty scaled back. There is still time in future versions to expand on that.

He was saying these things well before release. It was your fault if you fell for the obvious exaggerations.

PEACH

Arbiter
Where Felipepe seems to be coming from is that you have to break the game to beat the game; according to him you have to play the game in a very specific way to actually beat it.

This is really the biggest issue I would like information on. I'm certainly ready to believe it may be true, but it's a really damning claim that deserves more attention than the steam forum drama / he said / Cleve said stuff.

What point of the game does this become apparent? What exactly defines a requirement to break the game in this case? Can anyone else weigh in a little on their experience with the back half of the game outside of waiting on a review?

All honest questions though, don't get me wrong. I'm only at chamber of the waters so I'm pretty far off from what I imagine are the dubious sections but if anyone could spare the time to shed some light on this I'd be grateful.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You do realize the review was altered at some point, right? That the final phrase was added after Cleve banned someone for recommending his game, despite certain flaws, yes?

So you're retarded and assume that everyone else is? Of course he changed his review. And the review contains a lie on which he bases his non-recommendation.

Lady Error was butt hurt enough to waste her time going through my post history and retardeding all my posts lol.
Not sure if you think I care, or if someone else cares, but I can assure you the case is neither. Thanks for the chuckle anyway. :lol:

You get butthurt over 4 rated posts in a row and that's "all your posts" in your post history? Good to know.

Tarrant

Educated
Lady Error said:

You get butthurt over 4 rated posts in a row and that's "all your posts" in your post history? Good to know.

You went through something like 38-40 of my posts doing exactly the same thing, so I believe him. I got alert after alert just watching you go from one post to the next over the course of 20-something pages.. lol.

Ain't gonna lie, it was amusing. ;)

Delterius

Arcane
Note: "Grimoire is unbalanced" is not "GRIMOIRE IS TOTALLY BROKEN." Grimoire is a perfectly playable piece of software, to declare it totally broken is utterly nuts, completely untrue.
None of which is in the original review. It stated that 'combat breaks after 30 hours', which caused Felipepe to drop difficulty to novice. This is in line with Cleve's own statement on how the game currently requires 'exploits' in late content. This is a situation all parties agreed would change over time.

Then the review goes on to claim that while certain areas are a letdown, the game has 'amazing moments' and is on the cusp of surpassing Wizardry VII. That is Cleve's dishonesty, that he'd ban a gushing review of his game as long as its not absolute praise.

Face it, what made Cleve lose it was the suggestion that Grimoire V1 should have been the EA.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Anyone who changes their rating in response to having their feelings hurt by the dev has invalidated their review. If it weren't already pointless complaining about bugs that would be gone by the time the review was posted. Another example of the Neanderthal Effect?

This obsession with me is literally raving, foaming at the mouth mad dog crazy. IT's the Neanderthal effect. Unstable people come apart around Neanderthals.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You went through something like 38-40 of my posts doing exactly the same thing, so I believe him. I got alert after alert just watching you go from one post to the next over the course of 20-something pages.. lol.

And you're just a lying piece of shit, notepad.exe guy. Give us a screenshot of those 38-40 ratings in a row from your profile. Oh wait, you can't. Because it never happened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom