Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Playing Dungeon Keeper 2 for the first time sooooo gooood.

Except I accidentally hit the windows key 30 minutes into a level and it caused the game to crash with no save:x:x:x

Edit: Also related, I played king of dragon pass and got a few hours in and forgot to save before quitting so I've been doing well lately

Last edited:
Been wasting with some ...

Underrail
The good: Mechanics, skills, feats, exploration, systems,... It has lot of things going for it. Amazing execution of stealth. I liked being an asshole and burn people down, electrocute them and wreak havoc.:incline: After expansion I am going to try pure PSI and then Pacifist run :)
The bad: I would welcome more text in general. Story was ok otherwise.
The ugly: Deep Caverns. I did not expect it to be that much of a difficulty jump. I had to load previous save and prepare better. Slow walking...

GMDX v9.0

The good: Controls feel solid and good. Addition of fatigue is great. Too many things to count. Overall exceptional work by CyberP.:salute: Now for Hardcore difficulty...
Nothing else to say:incline:

Dishonored 2

The good: Graphics. Exploration. Stephen Russell. AI reacts to all kinds of stuff and it is very fun to mess with them. Technically very well done - animations, sound, interactivity, Crack in the Slab. It seems that money were actually spent on the game content and mechanics instead of superficial bullshit. It is at times just superb to mess around and do silly shit.
The bad: Performance issues. Sound design. Story sometimes lost me completely and was kinda meh. It lacks soul.
The ugly: Playing it with all the markers off and extra sensitive guards will just give you headaches. You have no idea when, where or how could they see or hear you. Sometimes they do, sometimes don't. Odd design choices.

ARMA 3

The good: 4 things - 1) SCMod which makes you a firefighter with helicopter. 2) Ravage Mod - DayZ practically but with more stuff and mechanics. 3) Converted original Operation Flashpoint campaign. 4) Sunday multi-player with friends LARPing MACVSOG unit in 'Nam. (My bunker has playmate of May 1967:smug:)

The bad: 1153 hours in Steam

Erikolaiz

Educated
Good to be back.

Risen_2017-08-09_19-07-54-23.jpg

mogwaimon

Magister
I just finished Super Mario 64 Last Impact. It was a technical achievement in the sense that so much interesting shit was hacked in, but the level design didn't really fit in with the shit camera inherent to Mario 64 and there was a lot of engine jank for some of the tougher stars. It's not a good sign when you constantly fall through solid floors out of nowhere, nor when you get stuck in level geometry on level fucking 1 and have to reset the game. Don't get me wrong, M64 romhacks are pretty fun but I don't think they'll ever reach the heights of 2D Mario hacks for the simple fact that the engine is just too fucked, maybe once we get to the stage where Mario Galaxy is being developed for on the regular we'll have a proper 3D engine to play Mario romhacks in.

I think my next game will be a SMW romhack. Though I do still have to go back to Stranger of Sword City to mop up the post-game but I did NG+ for the heightened stat cap not taking into account that NG+ usually bores me to tears since everything gets so easy. Even with class-changing all my characters down to level 8 at the beginning and the higher monster levels I've pretty much been able to auto-attack my way through up to Mausoleum of the Sea, losing all of the tension the first run had in the process.

Ezekiel

Arcane
As I'm replaying Sonic Advance, I'm thinking how much better it would have been on a console/PC. It looks, sounds and runs worse than the Mega Drive games. Handhelds are so fucking shit.

laclongquan

Arcane
Currently replaying Fallout Tactics brotherhood of steels, Redux mod v1.3

The greatest weakness of FTBOS is the lack of grid to allow for better control of AP expenditure. It's a great pain in the ass to move 1P out of cover, shoot , then return. You can do it, but it's annoying.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Max Payne 3's multiplayer was so stupidly thought out. It's most fun when I can get into a Deathmatch with a decent number of players, but that rarely happens. I just posted the rest of this on Steam.

Segmenting the multiplayer into so many different menus was a dumb idea. If they had just made one menu from which you can view all the active games of all game types, like in every other decently thought out multiplayer game, people would be more inclined to play. No one wants to wait, not knowing if anyone will join. I've been getting more frustrated with waiting so much lately.

Making different lobbies for free aim and soft lock only segments the community further. Just remove lock on already. GTA IV didn't need it, Red Dead Redemption didn't need it, GTA V didn't need it and Max Payne 3 doesn't need it. I never used it in any of those games, and I'm not even that great a player.

The tough bomb suits that a lot of players like to wear are so lame, as they turn enemies into bullet sponges.

What's with the gang and factions obsession? Why can't I play as any character I want? They made some of them pretty tough to unlock. I was barely able to get the platinum medal on New York Minute in chapter 2 yesterday. Getting to play as the sexy Fabiana was rewarding. But these characters are only playable in Deathmatch (free-for-all), which almost nobody plays.

Why does the multiplayer have rocket and grenade launchers as unlockable weapons? Can you imagine how annoying it would be if every enemy in the single player had them? They're not fun to deal with.

The multiplayer of GTA V was poorly thought out too. Rockstar is just bad at it.

Last edited:

Comte

Currently replaying Fallout Tactics brotherhood of steels, Redux mod v1.3

The greatest weakness of FTBOS is the lack of grid to allow for better control of AP expenditure. It's a great pain in the ass to move 1P out of cover, shoot , then return. You can do it, but it's annoying.
How is the redux mod?

laclongquan

Arcane
It is a mod, ie it change many things according to modder's vision.
- Many bugs are fixed. Notably the burst fire bug.
- Recruits are changed. This one I am not very sure, because the changes are not to my taste. The joy of recruit management, party based, game, is to manage the different characters like a jigsaw. Changes like that are arbitrary and not to my personal taste.
- Mission maps are changed with more, tougher enemies. This is a good thing.
- Many items are changed.
- Random encounters are changed. The area between mission circle are green zone without RE. Outside of it is plenty of hard encounter with increased XP reward (ie no longer the need to farm REs). More SE are added.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Ok I'm about 10 levels into dungeon keeper 2 and it's pissing me off now.

For the past 3 missions or so the dungeon has already been built for me and I'm supposed to spend 90% of the time running around in that crappy first person goblin mode killing enemies and 10% of the time telling my imps to mine tunnels to the pre-made rooms.

Fucker I just want to build a dungeon wtf :|

Krivol

Magister
- Recruits are changed. This one I am not very sure, because the changes are not to my taste. The joy of recruit management, party based, game, is to manage the different characters like a jigsaw. Changes like that are arbitrary and not to my personal taste.
- Random encounters are changed. The area between mission circle are green zone without RE. Outside of it is plenty of hard encounter with increased XP reward (ie no longer the need to farm REs). More SE are added.

I must say I really like new recruits and damage stystem. Biggest problem with redux is fast shoot+bonus rate of fire+handguns/plasma pistols . Oh and books seems to be OP - there are plenty of those and they work far beyond 100% of skills.

laclongquan

Arcane
Books give 15 increase regardless of tag upto 100, after that it's reduced up to 129 I think.
Also more books in both type and amount.
The increase number of food and drinks do nothing for me. It clutter up my inventory.
In-mission behemoths are super dangerous. If it's in range and saw you, you are dead. I have to kill one with mines due to terrain. The rest is sniping from up on the platform, pop up, auto fire the emp rocket, very quickly prone down, like, during the rocket fly.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Played Streets of Rage 2 for, I think, the third time. Made it to level 6, the jungle, this time. The controls feel so right. I love throwing people into other people. The music is great.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Installed Nox and trying to decide, which class would be the best for first playthrough. Warrior is too traditional for me, trying to decide between conjurer and mage.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Go with Conjurer, he's the most fun.

Also, the wammo is actually less "traditional" than you'd expect. I recommend playing through the game with all 3 classes since they are all so different.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Warrior's like a mix of Mortal Kombat's Scorpion and a Pinball machine. Highly recommended.

the_shadow

Arcane
Installed Nox and trying to decide, which class would be the best for first playthrough. Warrior is too traditional for me, trying to decide between conjurer and mage.

Mage is the most fun, conjurer is a close second. Make sure you hit every inch of wall (cave and town) with your staff, you discover heaps of secret areas that way. I wish they gave you some sort of subtle visual cue (eg. cracks in wall, different colour/texture) instead of relying on trial and error.

deuxhero

Arcane

Are you still thrown into the long first mission without any option to pick your gear or teammates?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Make sure you hit every inch of wall (cave and town) with your staff, you discover heaps of secret areas that way. I wish they gave you some sort of subtle visual cue (eg. cracks in wall, different colour/texture) instead of relying on trial and error.

But... there are cracks in the walls. Destructible walls that aren't cracked are extremely rare.

laclongquan

Arcane

Are you still thrown into the long first mission without any option to pick your gear or teammates?
Yes.
On the other hand, you never have to worry about your own main character here. The key strategy of 1st mission is to give Farsight the three gun magazines, Stitch's shotgun, and let her solo most of the map. The mags allow her SMG skill to raise to respectably level. Shotgun is a nice burst weapon with the ability to aim, which is very nice. Use the med supply to heal her whenever necessary. (Or vice versa, you can raise Stitch instead if you want to use him long term).
That's how you win 1st mission even with a support-style MC.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing a bit of Pyre.
Everything art-wise is great, the sketches, the music.
The game as a game... Its OK if you like "sport" games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom